PFB+ Film Study: OSU’s Offense in the Cheez-It Bowl (Part 3: Passing Game)

By Dustin Ragusa

If you want to check out parts one and two of the Cheez-It Bowl film review, where I take a look at the overall scheme and the rushing attack, they can be found on the PFB+ Forum.

For today’s post, I’m going to discuss how Oklahoma State attacked the Miami defense through the air.

Motion

As I mentioned in part one, the Pokes utilized pre-snap motion to try to identify what coverage Miami was running. For example, normally, if the defense is in man coverage, the defender lined up over the motioning receiver will follow the receiver. If the defense is in zone, it doesn’t really react, possibly making a slight shift in its alignment.

One particular motion the Cowboys used throughout the game was this short motion to invert the wide receivers.

You can see how Alabama used a similar type of motion in its playoff game against Notre Dame in the clip below.

Along with this short motion shown above, we also saw OSU utilize pre-snap motion similar to how the Cowboys did in the Baylor game. In the following video, you see wide receiver Landon Wolf motion from one side of the formation to the other. The defense has little reaction, telling quarterback Spencer Sanders that the Hurricanes are most likely in zone coverage and Wolf should be able to find an opening.

Additionally, in the clip above you can see the offensive line is blocking for run, making this a type of hard play action pass or pre-snap run-pass option (RPO).

After using this motion with the receiver running a route breaking toward the sideline, the Cowboys came back later in the game and went with a slant off this pre-snap movement.

Tape Doesn’t Lie Podcast’s Adam Lunt does a great job of explaining another example of pre-snap motion from this game in the video below.

Martin and Presley

Tay Martin and Brennan Presely both had huge games for the Cowboys. The two combined to grab 12 receptions for 191 yards and three touchdowns (all three from Presley).

Presley was primarily lined up on the inside and showed his ability to go up and make a play very early against Miami, as you'll see in the following clip.

On the play Lunt described above, you can see his run after catch ability.

Presley showed off his run after catch moves again on this screen, which is a great way to get him in space.

The second half is when Martin really started becoming a key target for Sanders, lining up at the Z receiver position normally manned by Tylan Wallace. Below you’ll see him operating out of a play very similar to the pre-snap motion, Wolf catch video above.

Shortly after this one, Sanders hits Martin again on the same play.

Lastly, Martin shows off his route-running ability and hands with this nice catch.

I’m really excited to see what both of these guys can bring to the table next season. With Presley on the inside and Martin on the outside, Sanders will have two dynamic options to throw the ball to.

Overall Passing Attack

Dunn used motion on a large majority of the passing plays against Miami. In addition, we saw a lot of short to intermediate routes both attacking zone and man coverage. OSU also got Sanders on the perimeter with boot action on occasion, which allowed him to take off and run if there wasn’t anyone open downfield.

I think this is the type of game plan Sanders excels in, a heavy dose of quick passing game with some deep shots mixed in and multiple occasions where he is allowed to roll out and make a decision to throw or keep it himself on the perimeter.

4 Likes