PFB+ Food Thread v2

I had a number of friends who were convinced it was a gay bar because of the name. As a bi man I always kind of laughed at that.

1 Like

One of the weirdest nights of my life was when I went to Stonewall and it was after the drag night. Over the course of that night, every single one of my friends left the table to go dance, and the night ended with me sitting at a different table of six people I had NEVER MET and flirting with a girl who didn’t have Facebook but did apparently have a boyfriend in California. Because that is basically my life.

Oof…yeah, the long-distance boyfriend excuse. That one always annoyed me.

I remember using match.com (why even do that when you’re on a college campus?), but I did.

Met this girl who came and visited me at work, one evening (the restaurant in the basement of Stout Hall, where the mega nerds lived).

She…did not look like her pictures…ahem…

So that was very awkward. This was still in the early days of social media.

1 Like

Man, I did match.com too. They had a ‘six months free’ deal if you didn’t meet someone in the first six months. I got a full twelve months out of it with two messages - one rejecting me and the other having actually meant to message someone else. That was…humbling.

2 Likes

I don’t want to muck up the thread, but I’ll give one more story:

Met this girl while working the doors of the Club seating at BPS. Turns out she was on Match as well, she didn’t respond to me, but when she saw me in person, I guess that changed really quick! LOL

It went quickly from “Oh, you’re on match also, blah blah blah” to “Want to go hang out with me and my friend and her boyfriend in OKC?”. So I went along with it, why not.

We went to some pool place. Bought a rose from those depressing guys who try to sell them to make a quick buck, gave it to her (in hindsight, pathetic…just freakin’ pathetic).

We went back to her friend’s house they were renting. They apparently couldn’t keep their hands off each other and went at it, with dance music turned up really loud in their bedroom. As far as my date and I went, I wasn’t fully feeling “it”, so to speak. She wasn’t throwing out any vibes indicative of much of anything. So nothing happened, we just slept (I was a bit high-strung, so I couldn’t relax and sleep much).

So then the next day, we had somewhat of an awkward drive back to Stillwater. We talked and she seemed cool, said she had a good time (what else does someone say in that situation?), and dropped me off.

She asked me if I wanted to go watch her play in intramural flag football the next day. So I ran to the field. I get there and she’s like, “yeah, I’m not really interested, I’m sorry”…??? Gee, thanks for wasting my time. Then says “I understand if you don’t want to stay and watch anymore”. Ya think?

That was a bit of a weird walk back to Patchin…

1 Like

Chimp you seem to be making a habit of mucking up threads, why quit now! FYI I am all for it.

1 Like

I have so many (non-OSU) stories about weird/awkward moments. I’m still searching for the drink that will kill those particular brain cells.

If I could say one thing I miss the most about Stillwater, it’s the times I spent with roommates. Don’t get me wrong, I have a great story from every single bar, but there was nothing better than opening the garage door, firing up the grill, throwing on some Great Divide and getting as hydrated as we could.

3 Likes

Have to agree 100% on this. Something about a smokey bar and an old jukebox just hits the spot sometimes.

1 Like

This. All this. Thinkin back to my College Days…

1 Like

Yep, the highlight of many of my weeks in school was getting out of my last class around 1ish on Friday and walking straight to a friend’s house and just having a bunch of guys hanging out, drinking, and shooting the you know what

2 Likes

No, I don’t know. What did you shoot?

/s

1 Like

I used to live right next to George stables and some of my best memories were going there right when they opened at 10 am on Fridays… sounds bad going to a bar at 10 in the morning but so much fun.

1 Like

I understand as I did the same in my college career when I lived WAY off campus (10 miles south). I had a couple of semesters with a long break between classes in the middle of the day (10-12). Since it was not worth going all the way home and I was over 21, I become a regular at the bar that was beside the AGR house on the strip (cannot now remember its name but it was on the side road going off the strip to the west from the strip beside the AGR house). Needless to say it was usually just me and the bartender and I got a lot of inexpensive drinks. Was recently married at this point and my wife was not aware how often I stopped in there…

During the last couple of years of my, almost, decade at OSU (I was actually only at OSU 6 years, spent 2 at a Bible College in Joplin, left, then came back to finish working full time @ 40 North and (eventually) Creative and school part time) my roommate and I would fairly regularly go to El Tap (cause it was a 35 second walk from our door) for Chicken Nachos and as many Mucho Mugs we could afford (the walk back took considerably longer). I think those were my favorite days in college…I would work 40-50 hours a week (since I had two jobs but the 40 N one was an on-call at night position so some weeks I didn’t do any work for them), pretend to study, play video games, and (more than) occasionally drink myself silly. I love my life now and man I would never trade now for then but I can’t help but miss it too.

2 Likes

So, just out of curiosity…how is Joplin?

Since the tornado it’s had a huge resurgence. I married a girl from the area (Jasper, MO) so we go back regularly. We actually missed the tornado by 5 mins (as in had we left her Grandparent’s place 5 mins later we would have been on the highway where it crossed when it crossed) and were there for some of the cleanup…at the time I thought it would never recover but it’s actually thrived.

1 Like

As far as cities go though, when I was there is was kind of a sad and dreary place. Not a lot was going on then and there was (and still is) a major homelessness problem. It’s a city that didn’t seem to have an identity prior to the Tornado but seems to have found one after.

That’s good to know. I have an interview there next week, so any information about the town is helpful to know.

1 Like

Before the tornado I would not have recommended living there to people. In the past 5 years that opinion has changed… if you have a solid job it really can be a good place to live.

1 Like