PFB+ Non-OSU College Sports Thread (Part 1)

I think there is an aesthetic element to it. I’m not questioning the energy, but a bunch of empty seats for an important conference game is a bad look. Surely there is a creative way to make the capacity variable, where if there is a top 10 matchup, or bedlam, KU, etc. you could go full capacity. But I doubt we’ll get the 13,000 (actually) any time soon. I’m sure people will come at me the one time in the next 5 years this is wrong. But, I also find that my takes aren’t particularly memorable.

The video is no more. I wiped my twitter account of all old tweets after the OAN incident and have gotten a new phone since. Sad.

4 Likes

It’s almost impossible. There’s very limited upside to season tickets right now and I want to have them.

Student section for football has done nothing but grow. I think it’s related to results.

RIP to that goated video. Can’t say I’m not disappointed that it’s gone but that’s a great reason to wipe Twitter clean.

1 Like

So there’s a secluded online community talking about getting Leipold and his staff to Tuscaloosa once Saban retires. Said he “wins in an unwinnable situation. Imagine him in a winnable one.”

Obviously that won’t happen but how hilarious would that be? Bama hiring KU’s staff. :joy:

2 Likes

Never happened

2 Likes

I agree with this. Seeing the difference between my two daughters time I’ve noticed the longevity of the students staying has been so much better now.

1 Like

It’ll hold as long as the team is high. Football just basically stole the wishy washy ones away from basketball when the two’s success rates flipped.

For anyone that was there in the 90s-80s, did mostly every student get invested in OSU athletics? Seems like when I was in school there sports weren’t as important to students from year to year. You had about half the student body that cared in some capacity about osu sports, and the other half only cared about trying to force you to think or feel a certain way about everything.

During our days at OSU, a sporting event (football, basketball, and/or wrestling) was the basis of a cheap date. Almost everyone purchased an All Sports Ticket that was bundled into the tuition bill. Finding a girl with one allowed me to just have to pay for a meal or two. I guess it worked. I found one that I was married to for almost 40 years.

12 Likes

He said 80’s or 90’s

I kid :wink:

4 Likes

80’s was a great time to be a student and go to sports events. I went to 99% of the home football and basketball games. Relatively speaking, football was great in that era. The “not-quite-best money could buy” kind of great. :wink: Basketball had a great run in 82, and was very competitive at home for the rest of the years (although it was not fun when Danny Manning and Wayman Tisdale came to town).

Unfortunately, I didn’t go to a single wrestling dual, baseball game, softball game, or tennis match while I was there. And what an era of greatness (at least individual greatness) in all of those sports. John Smith, Kenny Monday, Mike Sheets, Robin Ventura, Pete Incaviglia, Michelle Smith, Lori McNeal…

Oh well. I left school with an engineering degree, 3.5 GPA, and my future wife. Probably wouldn’t have all happened if I had been at all of those sporting events.

6 Likes

I could copy paste this, change the year to 2013-2019 and name different players and it would 1,000% apply to me. Except I went to 2 baseball games.

2 Likes

I never missed a football or basketball game when I was there from the fall of 1986 to the spring of 1990. Also averaged being at about 15 baseball games a year. If anyone needed me for something, the response of my roommate would be “check APR, GIA, or Lewis Field. You’ll find him there.” Somehow, I graduated with a 3.25 gpa. Those were good times.

1 Like

Big game for the Zags against Michigan State today on the USS Lincoln. Also Stanford at Wisconsin during the same time. Hoops is starting to pick up.

1 Like

WVU just got about 3-4 yards on a 4th and inches and all the Ou players were holding their arms up like they stopped them short :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

They followed that up with a 4th and 5 drop

A majority of my family back home are Ohio State fans so I get listen to how great the new defense is every week :smiling_face_with_tear: they’re playing Indiana right now so not that big of a test, but man I miss Knowles

This topic was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 10000 replies. Continue discussion at PFB+ Non-OSU College Sports Thread (Part 2).

If I ever run into you someday I will tell you the whole story of why you are 100% right about that. Hahaha.