PFB+ Q&A: Parker Friedrichsen Recaps Oklahoma State Official Visit

By Marshall Scott

When the Cowboys beat a Top 15 Texas Tech squad this weekend, and they did so while hosting an official visitor.

Parker Friedrichsen, a four-star sharpshooter from Bixby in the 2023 class, used an official visit on Oklahoma State this past weekend after taking a handful of unofficial visits to Stillwater throughout the season. Friedrichsen recapped his official visit with PFB on Tuesday night.

PFB: How was your official visit?

Parker Friedrichsen: "It was good. That's kind of why you do them, just to spend more time in depth with the staff, get to know them better. I had a really good time."

PFB: What did you think of the game?

PF: "I thought it was good. Obviously, it being the last game of the year, it was good for them to go out on a win. It was good atmosphere, and it was fun."

PFB: You mentioned spending more time with the staff, what did you do with that time? What did you learn that you maybe didn't know before?

PF: "With them, that staff and the players, the chemistry is crazy. Between the staff, they all get along really well, and players are really, really tight. Just going out to dinner with them and just getting to know them better and what they're about, they're just really tight. It's really good chemistry all around."

PFB: What were some of your favorite parts of the visit?

PF: "Obviously, the hotel room was really dope. Going out to dinner with them, shooting in GIA late at night was fun. Just being around them. That's honestly what I took away from it. Obviously the visit was really cool. We went to different spots to eat, and they took care of us. But yeah, really just being around was probably my favorite part."

PFB: Where all did you get to eat?

PF: "We went to Granny's for breakfast one day, and we went to Coach's house for dinner one night and Smokin' Joe's for dinner another night."

PFB: A few weeks ago you mentioned that you didn't want to drag your recruitment out. Has your timetable for that changed at all?

PF: "No, I mean, it's kind of similar to that. Once I find that fit, I'm done. I'm just still, you know, feeling things out. It's a big decision. It's the next four years of my life. I'm trying to get it right the first time. I don't want to be somebody that transfers. I want to go somewhere where I feel wanted and want to go there. So yeah, I'm in that time frame."

PFB: When you talked with Mike this weekend what sort of stuff did he share with you?

PF: "I mean people can say that they want about me and OSU and they got their own opinions, but he really sat down showed me how I was a fit there and how he could use me and how it was a little different this year than other years. But we watched film together, and he showed clips of like running shooters off actions and really just having confidence. We just talked about what he was about. Obviously I know him pretty well, but he just wants his players have confidence. I thought that was cool. We sat down and we talked about his past at OSU and how he thinks I could be a great fit for him and he can help me with goals going forward."

PFB: Is it normal to sit down and watch film on a visit?

PF: "It's pretty normal. I probably watched film at a handful of schools. Coaches just show you clips of certain players of how you could fit into their program. Most of the clips I saw with Coach Boynton was Lindy Waters and Jeff Carroll, it was kind of a mixture."

PFB: Could you see how it would be a good fit with the film you watched?

PF: "Yeah, absolutely. I'm always in the gym. He says he rewards guys that work hard and that he loves gym rats. He's big on individual development."

PFB: Do you have any other visits planned?

PF: "No, I don't actually. AAU season is about to start up here in a month, so I don't think I have anything going on."

PFB: Are you still planning to play with MOKAN this summer?

PF: "No, I'm going with KC Run GMC. It's a UAA [Under Armor Association] team."

6 Likes

This part seems significant, considering he wants to commit early.

6 Likes

We need shooters no doubt. Hope if he comes he lives up to his billing. He has offers from a lot of high caliber schools so he must be legit. Come on in Parker !! Go Pokes !!

Do we know his current height? I’ve seen it range from 6’3- 6’6

As long as he is tall enough to ride all of the rides at Six Flags, I don’t really care. That’s usually been the standard for shooters in this program and it has worked out alright.

3 Likes

He lists himself at 6-4, so I wouldn’t guess any taller than that.

3 Likes

He was the score keeper at my sons basketball tournament a week ago. Got to talk to him for a few minutes. Great kid and I’m 6’2 and he’s noticeably taller than me. He was also nailing some deep 3s during halftime.

9 Likes