PFB Roundtable: Fall Camp Surprises and the Future of the Big 12

Big 12 TV contract ($37M per school) is slightly better than the PAC 12’s ($34M per school) because of UT and OU. Without those two schools, Big 12’s value plummets 50-75%, way below the pac 12’s.

Let’s be honest, our addition would dilute PAC 12 revenue.

Also, the reason for the PAC 12’s poor revenue is due to Larry Scott’s failed attempt at building the PAC 12 network. The network cost the PAC 12 schools a fortune and estranged the PAC 12 from ESPN. Absolutely destroyed the PAC 12 tv revenue. Don’t fight ESPN, BTW! This is what the PAC 12 learned the hard way.

We’ll see what happens with the pac 12’s new TV contracts in 2024. New commissioner isn’t tied to the PAC 12 network.

We need to focus on rebuilding the Big 12. Use the $150M (UT/OU exit fees) coming to the Big 12 to pay the $100M exit fees for four AAC schools to join the Big 12.

1 Like

One thing I know is going to the acc is the worst option. Most of us will be dead before there contract will expire. There is no way espn is getting out if that. Everybody mite think our commissioners are bad. U dnt make a contract longer then 5 to 7 years. Of course it will keep Clemson in for a while.
Missouri go to the big10 sounds good to us but, talk about diluting.
One thing is this alliance I think it’s main goal is to vote against anything sec wants. The football games r probably to stop playing sec teams. With only 4 power conference secwould have no good noncon games.
A Clemson south Carolina game would be replaced with Clemson ucla. If sec has no power4 games it hurts them. I do not see the alliance conference playing each other 2 times. It’s more of isolating sec.

Everybody talks about how much tv ou and Texas has.i will ask u this. I’m sure everyone would love a Texas Arkansas game. When those to teams roll in at 2 wins and 3 loses, is ABC picking that game up. Espen+ baby.

Sorry for not being clear, Robert. I am not proposing that we join the ACC or poach schools from that conference. I don’t believe those are realistic options. I am proposing that we use UT’s and OU’s exit fees ($150M) to pay for the exit fees of four AAC schools. I understand that each member of the AAC would have to give a 36 month notice to leave the AAC and pay an exit fee of about $20-24M ($80-96M, total). So, if we want the Big 12 to survive, I recommend adding the four best AAC schools (maybe Cincy, Memphis, UCF, and UH). If not, I see the remaining Big 12 schools splintering off to join the MWC or AAC.

I wasn’t really talk about ur post. There has been a lot of acc talk.
I would not pay money to get teams tho. We also would need to look at byu and boise.
If we are going to stay as the big 12 we need to add teams now. It will show ou and Texas we are not collapsing. Osu can always get out later. We would pay maybe one year, which will be paid by ou and Texas. :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:
I do think the alliance is more about keep sec and espn under control.

One thing we have in our favor is we have games with west ward teams.
This year with boise next two asu. They will take a look at that.
The osu game in 2019 was not on a great channel. Not a good time for us. Osu is the worst team in the pac12. The game was almost 3 times osu average. That game was half our average so who would dilute whom.

1 Like

Different schools bring different markets. Rutgers wasn’t added to the B1G because people watch their football games. The perception was that they helped the B1G network expand into the NYC market, and they probably did, as B1G TV revenue is very healthy. Our school is shadowed by OU, and our state and Stillwater, as much as I love them, are relatively small.

We can continue to throw ourselves at the feet of the PAC 12 and B1G, but at some point, we have to have enough self respect to recognize that we will not be invited to those conferences. Rather, we should strive to build the Big 12 back up. Otherwise, without a realistic plan, the Big 12 will dissolve and we’ll be left choosing between the AAC and Mountain West conference.

I agree that you should probably pull teams from the AAC and MW (good ones anyway) and salvage what is left of the Big 12.

The problem is we have a weak commissioner that’s been a payroll bandit and literally hasn’t accomplished anything in the favor of the Big 12 so far. It’s almost like the dude is being paid to show up and check emails, but never doing anything about it (he should go be a politician).

I think what will end up happening is we’ll see Iowa State and Kansas being swept into the Big 10. Then we’ll see West Virginia being taken by the ACC.

Tech, Baylor, K State, TCU, and OSU will end up being drafted into the AAC. That would give the AAC a 16 team conference and they can split their divisions evenly.

You probably should take into account AAU status and geography when looking at the current situation. That’s not to say leagues will look at it, but I’m willing to bet it’s something they are going to consider.

The big 10 already has the 72 lowest power 5 school u think they are going to add the 70th in ku… I do not see the big 10 adding. The acc will not unless espn will redo their contract.
One reason the pac12 looks good is there contact is up before ours. The pac12 can be helped by adding teams.

I think KU and WVU have a small chance (less than 33% each) to be invited to the B1G and ACC, respectively, but I just don’t see ISU landing in the B1G. Academics and geography are on its side, but ISU suffers from the same infirmities as OSU. Shadowed by big brother (Iowa) in a relatively small state. I think those three programs need to work on rebuilding the Big 12, too. Rebuilding the Big 12 needs to be an all-hands-on-deck endeavor. We can’t have members with one foot out the door. It makes the Big 12 look weak, and if I’m Cincy, there’s no way I’m joining if I think current members are looking to get out.

I’m sorry, Robert, but I don’t understand the point you’re making regarding joining the PAC 12.

Collectively, we (the last 8) only bring about $13-19M/school in TV revenue. This revenue is about 1/2 that of the current PAC 12 deal, as bad as their deal is. Us joining the PAC 12 drives down their TV revenue per school. Saying otherwise does not make it so. The problem with us (ie, last 8 big 12 schools) isn’t the quality of our sports programs, it’s that each of the remaining 8 members are either (1) a non-flagship school (TTU, KSU, OSU, ISU, Baylor, TCU); (2) in a small market (WVU, ISU, KSU, KU, BU, TTU, OSU); or (3) non-AAU (all except ISU and KU). We don’t have the cachet that the B1G and PAC 12 want.

As an aside, I think there’s a small chance we join the SEC if Mizzou bolts for the B1G, but otherwise, I think we should focus on the Big12.

We (the last 8) need to recognize this fact and work together to rebuild the Big 12. Otherwise, like I said, we are doomed to kill the Big 12 and will be forced to join the AAC or MWC.

I never said all 8. Pac 12 have bad numbers. We can offer them alot.

Don’t know where I heard this, but someone posed a theory/idea.
With all the money both FOX Sports and ESPN have left on the reminder of their contracts with the Big 12, they go to the other power conferences to poach some of the remaining Big 12 teams in exchange for more money.

Let’s say that was true. The PAC-12 take Texas Tech and Oklahoma State and let’s say the BIG-10 takes Kansas and Iowa State. That would pretty much cause the Big 12 to dissolve.

PAC-14
North: Cal, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, Utah, Washington, Washington State
South: Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, UCLA, USC

I think this could work. There are California teams in each division so that allows for recruiting. Also, it gives the conference teams in the central time zone which helps in terms of TV, not to mention a presence in the state of Texas.

I wish thats how it works. But, espn will need 13 million times 14 and 120 million more money to give the sec. So I dnt see any extra :moneybag::money_mouth_face::money_with_wings:

Same here lol. To be fair, it’s not just about ESPN. What about FOX Sports? How much money are they are the hook for the remainder of their contract with the Big 12? In fact, doesn’t FOX sports have a contract with the PAC-12? Again, this is all speculative. I’m not pushing this idea as a path forward. Just spit balling.

I know I am too. I think it’s down the road a bit. We do need to look at schools to expand the big 12. I plan in being in the pac 12. But, got to work it.
I can’t wait to see how far this alliance will push sec.

1 Like

Did you even read what I just posted?

Did u read my response?
Since my response was similar to Michael’s, I would say we both read u post.

The fact that Iowa State and Kansas are AAU may play into them being in the Big 10. Kansas looks attractive in basketball. Iowa State for a while had a really solid basketball program even though they’ve fell off the last couple of years.

See where I put “AAU status may come into play”.

It still goes to if the big 10 just wants to add teams. I really doubt it.