PFB+ Soccer Discussion

I fell in love with Tottenham randomly about 5 years ago while playing FIFA with some buddies. Then I found out their rivals were the Gooners, they had some mild success back in the day, had been wandering aimlessly for something like 20 years, and were the young guns on the rise trying to break into the Top 4 again. They were OSU in a lot of ways to me. I’ve been on board ever since. I mentioned this in another thread, but I’m an OSU sports, OKC Thunder, Dallas Cowboys, Texas Rangers fan. I didn’t think I could introduce more sports heartbreak into my life. Thanks Spurs!

2 Likes

Your team list reads like mine except replace Dallas with the Chiefs. Until this year, Liverpool was all I had.

Describes me exactly. And ironic that we can replace Sooners with Gooners as the arch nemesis.

I knew there was something about @TheCraniumMonkey I didn’t like.

COYS

2 Likes

I tried being a Tottenham (and by extension, soccer/Premier League fan). It was hard. Part of it was because Adam Richman, the Man vs Food guy, is a huge Tottenham fan, so I thought why not? And also, it was when Gareth Bale (?) was on the team.

2 Likes

This year definitely has been a bit of a disappointment, but the run to the Champions League Final last year made for awesome memories!

1 Like

It took me a long time to get into soccer, but once I found a PL team that I loved and followed every week it was easier. I still can’t watch the bottom tier teams play in a random game, but I thoroughly enjoy elite PL competition. It is a blast and there aren’t any commercials.

1 Like

Watching the USMNT right now. Llanez and Ferreira MIGHT be legit. Vines… not feeling it there.

I love strong technical ability and Llanez has it.

Big Liverpool fan here. Started following 8 years ago (great timing!) Have been to NYC and Chicago to see them and was able to take in a game at Anfield 3 years ago. Incredible experience…

At least you can’t be accused of jumping on the bandwagon.

Nothing more frustrating than US Soccer.

1 Like

OSU basketball on line one!

2 Likes

Think you meant OSU Basketball… Hold My Beer

1 Like

ESPN+ also has every match of the FA Cup (outside of some of the replays after a draw) which is one of the best tournaments in all of sport.

750+ teams enter and play their way up through the rounds to eventually meet the top sides in England… there’s just nothing like it.

And watching a top team play an away game at a grounds that holds like 5000 people never gets old. Just so rad all the way around.

2 Likes

Long time Chelsea fan here, too. And which they’re doing well as a whole, they’re somehow managing to exceed my expectations AND constantly disappoint me this year.

Back-to-back home losses to Bournemouth and Southampton in December?! I wanted to throw my remote through the TV. And that late goal to lose to Newcastle was also pretty brutal.

They should easily be giving Leicester a run for their money for third place, but are currently 8 points back. I’d also feel a lot better being 10+ points clear of 5th instead of just 5. No one wants to wind up in the Europa League…

Can’t wait for a healthy Pulisic to get back out there, though!

2 Likes

Nice Spurs win today @AlabamaPoke and @dmgrantham. COYS

1 Like

Yeah, good to see the new kid score in his debut and Ndombele do Ndombele things. Him and Lo Celso have both been really solid when they have been healthy and have given chances. If we can find a way to backdoor top 4 after the hell this season has been, I would be absolutely thrilled. Then we hope Levy opens the pocketbooks and finally goes into full buy mode during the summer transfer window. This team has some serious issues that need to be addressed along the back line and some issues in the midfield at times, but boy do they have some serious pieces.

2 Likes

Soccer is a communist sport. Simply un-American.

** ducks **

3 Likes

This has always been a very strange take… especially when you compare it to the structure of the NFL. If anything… it’s far more cut throat and “capitalistic” than any of the major American sports when you factor in relegation, transfers, etc.

I always like the “soccer is just so low scoring” take. In 2011, we were told that a 6-3 college football game was the game of the century.

And when you really think about it, last night’s 31-20 Super Bowl was really a 4-3 game.

2 Likes