PFB+ Soccer Discussion

Look Lee, I got on this forum this morning and it was already on fire. I am just here to watch the world burn like you my friend. :smirk:

4 Likes

Not that I’m saying this in response to your “communist” comment, which I assume is sarcasm (?), but it did remind me of this time when this random Facebook poster made a mind-numbingly idiotic comment about how soccer was successful in every other part of the word, except for the US, because poor people can afford the equipment easier and can be more successful in it. (Something to that effect.)

I wished, right at that moment, that I had the ability to “travel through the Matrix” like Neo and beat the ever-loving crap out of that guy.

(I guess I was saying it in response to your comment. My brain is not functioning properly.)

(“Your brain never functions HAHAHAHAHAHAH.”) (If I see that joke…)

Your brain never functions. Nailed it.

2 Likes

1 Like

So a big reason why educated people on the subject believe soccer never really caught on in the United States is because the rules of soccer weren’t nailed down until the mid 1860’s in England. Around the same time, professional baseball teams were starting to form in the states and there was already a passion for rugby. From then, Naismith developed the rules of basketball in the 1890’s and rugby developed into something between rugby and football. While soccer spread throughout much of Europe and colonized regions around the world, we still had US/Canada border skirmishes in the 1860’s with the UK. Baseball at the time was considered very American and we ran with that and other sports at the time.

3 Likes

That is very interesting, thank you.

Cool to say that we exported basketball (though, technically…the Mayans had a hand in creating that…).

1 Like

For sure. To say one particular region or country had exclusive creative rights in creating a sport would be silly. But for the most part, basketball and baseball were cultivated and turned into what they are mainly due to U.S. influence.

I just wish we sacrificed the best player after every game, like the Mayans did… :thinking:

1 Like

It would certainly help explain Cam McGriff’s regression…

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

“Dude, if you play out of your mind…YOU’RE GOING TO DIE. The gods will have to be appeased.”

Cam: stands at top of key…takes the occasional contested three

1 Like

So, did anyone play in the past?

Yep. Wasn’t good.

1 Like

I started playing Over-30 soccer here in Dallas when I turned 30. I was lucky to start a team that included quite a few former professionals, with a lot from South Africa. I learned a lot, and used it to coach both of my kids. My baby brother was/is 11 years younger, so playing together as kids wasn’t possible. Once he turned 30, we played together for about 20 years. The last season, we played open, against 20-somethings. I hung my boots at 62.

1 Like

Men’s league is the best and the absolute worst. I had fun, but only played a few years because the behavior of grown arse men can be appalling. People fighting, constantly jawing, it was ridiculous.

1 Like

THIS KID IS 17!

SEVENTEEN!!

3 Likes

Watched this Reyna goal about ten times today. Nasty like the Press left footed curler last night.

2 Likes

It’s up there with the Messi free kick vs the USA in the Copa America Centenario in terms of beauty. Except this was on the move around defenders which is arguably more impressive.

That Messi goal was still the most beautiful thing I’ve seen live, though.

Just need a Spurs win to keep this weekend mojo going.

2 Likes

How about the City news?

Such a shame

2 Likes