PFB+ Weather Thread

Wonderful. Yes they plumb into your natural gas lines. 22 kW is the largest air cooled one you can get in a Generac.

I wouldn’t be scared of a Kohler or a Generac. I have heard from a guy who works on them that Kohler is better built. My parents have a Generac and love it.

1 Like

What kind of cost range are we looking at for installation?

$10k-$15k

2 Likes

How’d you justify that cost? It’s a discussion for us right now.

Saving appliances due to low voltage power. Saving a fridge, and two freezers’ worth of stuff.

Peace of mind, not ferrying gas to a generator, safer than hooking up a generator etc. Makes life easier.

2 Likes

Any particular event push you to it? Trying to decipher if what folks go through in the OKC area is really comparable to less issues in Tulsa weather wise. But last week really took its toll.

Just buy a Tesla.

I had family put in a 22Kw Generac a few months ago. They spent around 5k on unit. 200 on plumber for natural gas plumbing and 400 on electrician. Im assuming the plumber and electrician cost were cheaper than most because there mounting location was just on the other side of the wall from the breaker box and right next to the gas meter. It powered their whole house and 2 neighbors freezers during the outage.

1 Like

Nowhere in OK, or maybe anywhere tornado wise, compares to Moore OK. And even then we were mostly fine. Then again my dad (an electrician) just wired a generator to our electrical panel.

1 Like

Generator purchases have skyrocketed. It’s not just acute storm outages, but the general instability and insecurity of the USA electric grid that is pushing many customers into it. Have friends in the far north USA that have a full-house generator for the winter and on the west coast who have one to avoid the constant pain of rolling black-outs.

Numerous low voltage events which is just as hard on items.

1 Like

All varies wildly based on each setup. That’s awesome it’s cheaper. Some people like a concrete pad to set the unit then have to run electrical across the width of the house. All based on the location of your gas meter in relation to the electrical box.

Almost a requirement to have a concrete pad or some sort of elevation in Houston so that the generator doesn’t get flooded out. :joy:

2 Likes

One great thing in Tulsa is we have some of the best flood infrastructure around so that’s one thing I’m not too worried about. Immediately near the river might be at risk but apparently they learned their lessons from the 80’s floods.

2 Likes

One good thing to come from that ‘84 flood

2 Likes

Didn’t margaritaville flood in. ‘18/‘19?

Just checking on our Florida PFBers like @TampaPete . Sending prayers and positive vibes your way as Hurricane Idalia hit. That thing strengthened fast from a tropical storm to a category 3 hurricane. Actually heard it was a 4 and then downgraded to 3 right before landfall. Everyone take care.

4 Likes

All clear, thanks for asking!! I’m 10m from coast. I went out to check on my boat 6am morning. Marina is covered and some boats are going to have damage because they got lifted all the way to the roof. No wind damage but the little waterfront towns are all going to be a mess from the tides.

5 Likes

Dime to baseball size hail in Round Rock/Austin area.

Oklahoma, please keep your weather to yourself.