PFB+ Wrestling (Part 1)

Ah ok. Well that makes more sense.

I believe he had some health issues during his year at OSU and then transferred to UCO and had much success winning 3 D2 titles.

He was undefeated in high school.

Not that there is anything wrong with it, but he’s the first person I knew of that was held back a year for athletic purposes. Or that was the rumor at least. Don’t know if that was to allow for an extra year of development, or if there was someone that needed to graduate to increase the chances of going undefeated.

Regardless, it obviously worked out for him both in school and professionally!

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that Jerry Best and Matt Surber at Tuttle are pretty good buddies too.

Regardless, the guy has coached at Allen for 19 years and has won 11 state titles in a row by an average of 95 points over the runner up… which is usually Arlington Martin, where Kenny Monday was coaching before moving out to Carolina.

I’m with Seth in that there was something in between what both sides are saying… and none of it makes AJ a bad kid for trying to cover for his brother, nor Best a bad person for trying to do what’s best for his program.

Allen is going to produce more and more guys like AJ and Bo Nickal, so I think it’s important to keep that relationship strong.

I also think it’s important to keep the Ferraris moderately happy, as the youngest one might actually be the best wrestler of the bunch. Dude is an absolute wizard in technique right now, and has wrestled in some tough junior high tournaments. Whenever this stuff picks back up, I expect him to be far more decorated than his brothers with cadet and junior world titles.

5 Likes

Did you guys see that attendance numbers were just released by the NCAA and Iowa broke the all-time average attendance record with 12k+ per dual? That’s impressive…

“Thou shalt not use the name of his high school coach in vain”

It’s been a little while since I’ve been through the full thing, but I’m 99.99% sure that phrase is nowhere to be found in the Bible.

7 Likes

All the same, he could take some advice from another famous Italian.

brando

1 Like

So you’re saying AJ is Sonny, Anthony is Fredo, and the youngest one is Michael?

It all adds up.

6 Likes

I do think that’s something we’re sorta seeing here.

The Godfather is obviously just a movie, but was Ferrari probably using this interview as an opportunity to protect his families’ name? No doubt in my mind.

4 Likes

So is it Geer that will have a horse’s head in his bed next year?

2 Likes

My first thought was the “Don’t ever take sides with anyone against the family again, ever” gif, which he’s definitely taken to heart.

1 Like

Best and Surber wrestled at UCO together.

I know Surber, I don’t really know Best, but I’m pretty sure they’re still close. I know when Allen comes to tournaments in Oklahoma they have practice sessions and stuff with them fairly often.

Oh my… back in the 70’s seemed like half of athletically-inclined guys stayed back a year in elementary school for sports purposes in Midwest City/Del City area. Was really common.

1 Like

This kid and one of his parents both followed me on Twitter today. Don’t know much about him, but have to assume he has some interest in OSU. Out of Oregon.

I know a lot of you like to really keep up with recruiting, so I’ll try and share these in here as they happen. Again, some may have no real OSU connection, but I have to assume if they’re following me they have some level of interest.

5 Likes

Some really interesting stuff from the head of the NWCA here on the future of the sport.

Another recent Twitter follow/potential recruit interest.

Jayden Smith(Not Will Smith’s son)

From California, wrestles for NEO. Finished third last year at Nationals. Might’ve came out here to develop a bit more at NEO then transfer here. Might just kinda be an OSU fan :man_shrugging:

He’s a 174. OSU is pretty loaded up there already

1 Like

One random thing on the Ferrari interview. He went into a few other ”off the record” things about Best, and as we’ve all said, I’m pretty sure the truth is somewhere in the middle on all this, but he pretty specifically said he felt like Best always had some issues with him being religious.

Even straight up said he made fun of him for it.

Good stuff from Pendleton here.

2 Likes

You are starting to make me wonder about this kid. Get outta here with that I want to be blindsided by the news of him being kicked off the team for being a peckerhead! /s

At this point Seth’s kid going to wrestle at Iowa would be 100x more upsetting than the Mark Perry situation.

3 Likes