PFB+ Wrestling (Part 1)

Told a buddy literally this morning I felt we could get 2nd or 7th this year at ncaas. This is the 7th place example.

5 Likes

Yeah, it’s all going downhill fairly quickly.

1 Like

What a terrible performance by the team as a whole

1 Like

Yeah Fix and Wittlake were the only ones who were really up to snuff.

Glad we could finish off a disappointing day with an example to everyone we don’t have a true HWT.

*I will continue to root for Harris due to his effort though

1 Like

So, I emailed Gavin Lang to see what I could find out on the reason the event wasn’t streamed.

The way I worded the questions was this.

"I’ve been covering OSU for a few years and had a number of people ask me why there was no coverage for the early rounds of the tournament?

I didn’t really have an answer to that and was told that you may be good point of contact within the athletic department to ask about it.

Is there any specific reason why it was not streamed? Does the ESPN+ contract not allow it? Was it something else?

I was just hoping to find out why it was just the finals and not the earlier rounds?

I apologize if I’m directing this to the wrong person. If there’s someone else that I should reach out to, please let me know."

This was his response

10 Likes

Thanks for the follow up Seth. I find it interesting that ESPN can decide not to show and event and then decide that no one else can either? I realize there must be different levels of involvement within the Big XII as Texas and OU seem to have different agreements and it may not be easy to negotiate with them, but this one would seem easy to settle - they have the right of all events and if they choose not to take that event, it can be available to any other service.

8 Likes

I’ll be interested to see what the osu tennis coverage this year looks like, bc it has been pretty basic in the past. See if they have to be professional grade now as well.

I’m curious to know why Orange Power Studios isn’t larger. We can all see why, during a pandemic, but surely OSU could have foreseen this right? Has none of the TV money gone to bettering our own studio? This is where I would like to see Gavin tell Lee on Twitter they need to increase the size of OPS and that number looks like this (insert amount) per year.

4 Likes

My thing with his response is, I still don’t understand specifically why they didn’t stream it.

You don’t have the infrastructure to stream one mat. I get that.

You don’t want to put out a crappy product. I get that.

ESPN+ won’t let you stream just anything. I get that.

But did ESPN say no to just streaming one mat for the early rounds? Or did OSU decide not to because they don’t have the equipment?

I personally would’ve preferred the one mat over nothing.

4 Likes

Or why not a more expanded view that doesn’t zoom in to one mat but allows you to watch both at the same time.

1 Like

Does anyone know if Flo sued Oklahoma State?

This is my first time hearing of it.

Looks like they did.

Wonder why? Because we took our business to ESPN+ maybe?

I don’t know.

I did a FOI request and should find out in the next two weeks.

I would imagine they sued because OSU broke their contract when the conference signed the ESPN tier three rights.

I don’t think it’s that.

I think it’s over that big Penn State dual that Flo kinda botched.

It was just a couple of weeks after that and the three entities named in it were OSU, Track, and the NWCA.

That dual was an NWCA event.

1 Like

But how would Flo be the plaintiff in that scenario?

I don’t know for sure. I submitted a FOI request to get the details. They said I should receive it in 10-14 days.

This is what I “think” and again this is just my assumption based on a few things I know. At the time, Flo had the OSU media rights deal. That dual was not a part of the regular season. It was an NWCA event and all the stuff was separate for it.

I have a friend that had a suite that season and couldn’t even use their suite for it, because it was NWCA vs. OSU and they were asked to pay extra to use it. So they were pretty pissed off about that.

Plus I remember season ticket holders having to buy an extra ticket.

Anyway, my guess is that was trending that way with the media rights also. I.E. the NWCA had them instead of OSU, so they were selling to the highest bidder. And my guess is Track and Flo were both bidding for those rights and Flo tried suing everyone involved because they wanted the rights and felt they deserved them legally because they had a media rights deal with OSU at the time.

Something to that effect at least.

Again, I’ll know more in a few days, but that’s where I’m leaning.

3 Likes