Pokes in the Pros: NFL/XFL Updates

if he continues to improve i think it’s possible. it would have been awesome if they had won on sunday, would have really boosted his stock and it sucks that his fumble and/or last interception essentially cost them the game…but otherwise he played good, went back and forth with that other qb in a big 12 style shootout. made some really nice throws, especially that first td pass. the running one was actually pretty sweet too, caught absolutely everybody by surprise. but not me. i’ve seen it.
i remember the first time (that i can recall) seeing him check in for rudolph in a blowout over somebody. the announcers were saying how gundy calls him corndog, and i’m just thinking who the hell is this guy? then he scrambled up field for 15, then ran for another 10+ and just thinking ‘wow, this guys a pretty decent runner’ but aside from that didn’t see much of him that year except when he was coming in for mason on cleanup duty. and initially, when the next season started, i wasn’t exactly excited upon hearing cornelius was going to be the starter, daresay i even felt a bit disappointed (i mean i had heard all this talk about some 10-star recruit qb, and we are starting a perennial backup?) … and i’m not sure exactly which game it was, i’d have to go back and look up some game logs, but early on somewhere in the first few games taylor cornelius won me over. and, for the most part, that season was great (other than the two un-explainable losses to k-state and tech). it would have been among the best had we beat ou, but whatever. it is what it is, and overall it was a decent season and i enjoyed it.
i wish we could have had him back last season. not that i don’t like spencer sanders. i certainly do. but it’s just a case of watching someone get better as they get experience, i would have liked to see him come back for one more year.
but anyway…i guess i always thought, when watching him play for osu, that he’d make a good backup qb in the nfl (with a chance to slide into the starting role when destiny calls and give him the opportunity to prove himself)… because he always seems to find a way to exceed expectations. and this is his chance. he’s won the starting job. despite being booed in their first home game when playing in place of quinton flowers (the hometown favorite in florida), and now aaron murray is healthy …they are sticking with cornelius.
i like cornelius because he’s the underdog. and having grown up watching the cowboys religiously, i am a big underdog fan.
but all that aside…he looks better than landry jones…
(an nfl backup to big ben for many years)

You my friend are on an island on this one.

1 Like

I file TC in the (extensive) what could have been file (filing cabinet) . What would he have looked like if we would’ve had TC plays instead of MR plays to run ? Heck what would he have looked like with Tim Rattay working with him ? We won’t get to see MY develop elhinger he’s already a senior .

I’ve got a soft spot for TC and I think he can do well . He’s only just now playing his fifteenth game in the last five years after all .

There’s a reason for that…

3 Likes

There’s also a reason he’s getting paid to play a game .

In a secondary league with clearly inferior talent and wasn’t the starter until someone got hurt… with 4 td’s to 6 picks…

Not NFL talent at all.

1 Like

I’m sure your first job out of college was all glitz, glamour and a great title . Mine wasn’t lol.

The guy is working at a startup and doing what he loves . Is he doing a great job ? Not exactly . He’s doing well enough to keep starting and putting his team in a position to win . Doesn’t always get it done but it is a team sport.
I never said he was nfl talent . I wondered a few what if’s .

1 Like

TC was ON the Packers’ practice squad last year for a while and didn’t get a sniff of a call-up. XFL is honestly his absolute top ceiling as a QB.

You’re comparing my first job out of college to professional sports? OK bud.

:joy: :joy: I guess

This is the point. There’s a reason he hasn’t started consistently in a big time position. There’s a reason he wasn’t the guy in college. There’s a reason he isn’t doing a great job. That reason? He’s not that good.

How about “what if” he was just a better quarterback? We had those… and they played.

1 Like

Not disagreeing with this .

i think he’s fun to watch, fun to root for. cornelius is the ultimate underdog. and it’s cool that he’s getting this chance. we don’t exactly have too many cowboys starting in the pros, but i try to follow the few that do.
and i know i’m on an island on this one. i mean, i am literally on an island. but i still think it’s possible that he could end up as a backup in the nfl. although right now, i’d much rather watch him start in the xfl than be a backup in the nfl.
he just needs to have strong second half of the season, stop throwing interceptions, and become the best qb in the xfl. that’s all. it’s a very big “what if” i know, but for the moment i’m cheering him on.

1 Like

It is fun to watch and root for a kid from a really small town do his thing . He’s got a lot of work to do to make it to the nfl but he’s in a place to be seen doing that work .

1 Like

Is Blake Jarwin the highest paid former Poke in the pros?

Well I guess Russell Okung.

And Dez is making necklaces or something goofy.

Nevermind.

So, this seems apropos to put here. I’ve been running through NFL mock drafts recently (because what else am I going to do not leaving my house?) and the name Josh Jones (an OT from Houston) keeps coming up at the end of the first round. That name and place sounded familiar so I checked on 247. Same Josh Jones that flipped on us on Signing Day in 2015. It did force us to get Marcus Keyes (and we know how good he was for us) but even so, it chafes to see a kid that could/should have been a Cowboy probably being a first-round draft pick. This was also the same year Ronald Jones flipped. 2015 was not our best recruiting year.

1 Like

yeah it looks like russell okung is (by far!) the highest paid poke in the pros

according to https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/salary.htm
okung’s 2019 salary was $13 million
followed by lane taylor, ogbah, and dan bailey

the list (according to pro football reference, anyway):
Russell Okung T LAC $13,000,000
Lane Taylor G GB $2,600,000
Emmanuel Ogbah DE KC $1,351,315
Dan Bailey K MIN $1,000,000
Justice Hill RB BAL $812,500
James Washington WR PIT $684,607
Mason Rudolph QB PIT $658,267
Blake Jarwin TE DAL $645,000
Vincent Taylor DT BUF $645,000
Chris Carson RB SEA $645,000
Tre Flowers CB SEA $570,000
Marcell Ateman WR OAK$570,000
Kevin Peterson CB PHX $570,000

Jarwin’s is $5.5m per year now, so he’s in an easy second place.

1 Like

OGBAH JUST GOT PAID!!!

Going to Miami - 2 years $15M all guaranteed

3 Likes

This chart is getting outdated very quickly! Good for the Cowboys who are getting paid…

1 Like

This chart is awesome.

1 Like

Emmanuel Ogbah just signed a 2-year, $15M ($7.5M fully guaranteed) with Miami.