Possible rule change for the upcoming CFB season

Interesting. Could be very helpful in Stillwater.

Short term, yes (Collin Clay). But, how do you think it will affect the long-term?

I wouldn’t imagine much. It seems like players are willing to pull the trigger regardless of eligibility. Shouldnt help or hurt the current system from the school’s perspective

I’m going to preface this by saying I am for the rule…

What happens when coaching changes happen? What if Rhule leaves Baylor in January and they have 20 dudes bail because they can play elsewhere immediately? I think there are some serious potential negative outcomes for schools.

8 Likes

Gotta put the athletes first.

1 Like

Really emphasizes the multi-prong recruitment process.

2 Likes

Yeah sure but why does Rhule get to bail scottfree (and get paid for bailing) and the players are just stuck with Baylor and they’re decision at replacement?

If you’re going to regulate the players, regulate the coaching staff.

I go back and forth. It’s not the same for coaches and players. It’s just not. For a multitude of reasons. So to me, it’s opening up a dangerous Pandora’s box. I don’t really like it. Gundy was right on this one. Where does it stop?

1 Like

With the NFL supporting their own D league instead of relying on universities to do it.

1 Like

Lol no chance this is even remotely helpful for anyone but blue bloods or near blue blood programs

1 Like

2 Likes

I can see it playing out that way. Our handful of elite players get poached by the Alabama’s and Clemson’s and we in turn replace them by poaching players from the New Mexico’s and Indiana’s. That’s fair. To the blue bloods.

I guess the good news is, at least for now, everybody can only have 85 on scholarship. Wonder when they will change that and make it unlimited scholarships to give even more advantages to the blue bloods and richer conferences like the SEC and Big 10? Of course, the NCAA in their ever-condescending manner would spin that as “opportunities for more athletes.”

2 Likes

There will be a lot of kids at blue bloods encouraged to look elsewhere every year.

It’s basically just free agency every year. 10 schools will be great at it, everyone else will suffer.

The product on the field will also decline and suffer. Going to wreak havoc on teams continuity.

Like I said, I’m for the rule. I was just pointing out that it could hurt the current system from the school’s perspective.

1 Like

I get that there will be some unintended consequences, but I’m for erring on the side of the student athlete. There are going to be situations where the rule is abused, but I would wager a large sum that this is going to work to the benefit of the student athlete far more regularly than a situation where it would be a bad idea.

2 Likes

For as many guys that transfer into a blue blood, the same have to transfer out. For every guy that wants to transfer to LSU or Michigan, there’s a Tyron Johnson or Josh Furman that will want to or have to leave.

2 Likes

Yea, problem there though @AlabamaPoke, is that you know who might transfer to an LSU? A Tylan Wallace after his injury.

I can see so many instances of a school like OSU losing it’s absolute stud, and getting a Tyron Johnson back in return. Not fair trades at all.

I think this rule is going to have pretty crappy results for the schools at our level.

3 Likes

I see your point. On the other hand, a coach can get fired for poor performance (although they typically get a buyout). Players don’t typically lose their scholarship, although from my understanding, it’s not guaranteed renewal - maybe we should fix that?

Sure, there are going to be situations where we get dinged. But does it help the student athlete? I think this situation highlights the absurdity of the current rule:

This kid transferred to Illinois so that his dying grandpa could watch him play in a college football season. The NCAA denies his request twice this past season. Grandpa died yesterday and never got to see him play. In the current transfer format, these are the kids that are not getting waivers for whatever reason. There are more cases like this that exist than we hear about across all levels of play. If the rule helps these kids, I’ll take getting dinged every once in a while. I think we’ll get more kids coming in than others think we will too.

1 Like

Would the Big 12 want, or even be able to make intra-conference transfers still sit out a season? Texas has made a habit of trying to poach coaches from other conference teams. Being so much more familiar with players within the conference, I can see them arrogantly viewing the rest of the conference as a veritable buffet from which they can pick and choose as they please. We discover and develop a James Washington from small-town Texas, then Herman swoops in and convinces the kid he will get more NFL exposure at Texas and can play closer to home his last year or two.