Question of the Day

What if Gundy took the Tennessee job

What if the entire 2005 recruiting class makes it to campus, with no external issues affecting them? How far does the bball team go, and where is it at now?

3 Likes

Man, just thought of another one. What if “THERE GOES THE CHEETAH” never happens in Norman and we go 5-7 and miss a bowl? They may have legit fired Gundy or run him off to another job.

2 Likes

That’s a great one. To go with it: what if Tyreek didn’t get kicked off the team 6 days later.

2 Likes

What if Eddie kept his commitment to KU?

What if Boone pulls the money out of BP capital at its peak?

3 Likes

I think it has to be what if Justin Gilbert makes that interception in 2013 to give OSU their 2nd Big 12 title in three years. Heads into 2014 even with all the unknowns of that season with insane momentum as a program.

2 Likes

Goodness. There would be a ring of Gundy statues around BPS already.

1 Like

What if Bob didn’t accept the penalty in 14?

5 Likes

What if Barry went to OU like his dad wanted him to?

1 Like

This one is actually easy… leaving it in means it tripled over the last decade, so if that money is still in the market index, it should be worth close to $1b now.

Unfortunately I think they pulled it out after the crash. How men who have been in that world their whole lives panicked is insane to me. The American Stock Market will always grow… even in downturns, let it ride! You’ll be rewarded.

2 Likes

The 2011 what if we make the kick against ISU is the best because it not only dramatically changes that season but also college football as a whole,

are we 100% certain we still get a playoff with an undefeated osu and lsu squaring up?

4 Likes

Instead of doing a 2011 what-if based on play on the field here is the big one to me:

What if ESPN did not have Nick Saban on the air campaigning for Alabama for 8 hours on Conference Championship Saturday in 2011 or had actually spent time talking about how the reason he was available that day was that his team didn’t even win their division. Even with his politicking it was the smallest margin between 2 and 3 ever and I can’t help but believe that him being given an exclusive platform like that made the difference in the votes.

My main two what-ifs are actually about important things:

What-if the snow storm in 2001 was less severe and the plane landed safely and

What-if the travel restrictions on single engine planes from the 2001 crash had been extended to coaches and staff and not just players.

I’d give just about anything to have never had those tragedies.

8 Likes

Maybe, BP capital was very energy focused. Post 2008 crash had a great run to 2014 where it crashed again even harder. Then again in 2019 its crashing pretty much down to 2008 levels. Good chance riding it out would have left it flat.

If BP picked the wrong energy stocks and it could be bankrupt.

You guys with all the negative “what-ifs”… my mind can’t even entertain those LOL

2 Likes

I think the obvious one is what if we came out of Ames in 2011 with a win.

My personal one is what if Gilbert had held onto the ball in 2013? What if Chelf had escaped Michael Sam in the Cotton? 11-2 or 12-1 with a second Big 12 championship in 2 years would be potentially program-changing.

3 Likes

How about if Patmon’s interception had not been called back? Or to go back to Bedlam games - what if the fumble six had not been overturned (in 2017?) or Roland’s opening drive TD run had not been called back for holding (in 2015?). Sorry, don’t remember the years for those. Or the infamous no-call block in back on multiple punt returns…

3 Likes

Regarding this play - which I agree has to be THE “what if” for OSU basketball: Eddie called our last time out immediately after Lucas hit the three-pointer to tie it up with ~25 seconds left. If we had another time out remaining, my guess is that he subs out Lucas for Weatherspoon or Stevie Graham for defense. Given that we didn’t have any TOs remaining, though, you have to leave Lucas in the game for our final possession (which unfortunately ended up being an 80-foot heave by Lucas).

The five on the floor for Bynum’s winning shot were Lucas, Tony, Bobik, Joey, and Ivan. By far the weakest link was Lucas, and you have to credit GT for isolating Bynum on him to get the layup.

I will think about this game until the day I die.

2 Likes

Do we (somehow) underrate the bedlam W in 2011?

Ou just doesn’t get blown out like that very often.

5 Likes

That’s a really good question, actually, that I will try to tackle.

In the moment…no, it wasn’t underrated. That was an emphatic a**-kicking of one of the Big 12’s perennial top teams. I remember trash talking some people I went to high school with, who were all OU people, and saying they needed to prepare for that to happen more often…

^ Boy was I ever wrong…

In the long term aftermath…yeah, it can kinda be underrated, or treated as “fluky”, because it didn’t have a lasting effect. Which is the sad part.

1 Like