Reader Thoughts: OSU Actually Has an OSU Problem

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/reader-thoughts-osu-actually-has-an-osu-problem/

We’ll explain …

1 Like

Hi Kyle, first-time poster and thanks for the blog.

You may already have heard from others on this, but the long-time Nebraska coach that preceded Tom Osborne was Bob Devaney, not Delaney.

Keep up the good work!

Just don’t think you get there never beating OU or winning conference titles.

1 Like

Kinda bolsters the author’s point nobody remembers him!

2 Likes

INCREDIBLY GOOD EMAIL. SPOT. ON.
I HAVE NEVER USED ALL CAPS ON A COMMENT BEFORE, BUT THIS JUSTIFIES AN EXCEPTION. IF THERE WAS A PFB HALL OF FAME, THIS EMAIL SHOULD BE INCLUDED. :smile:

10 Likes

I agree but the thing is once we start beating OU then we are basically there. I mean as long as we take care of other games like we should, beating OU means going to the CCG. Get in enough of those and win enough of those and you will get in some playoffs just because the Big 12 champ won’t be left out that often. Thus the way I see it is that beating a good OU (ie does not count if OU all of a sudden becomes Nebraska level play) is the last hurdle.

1 Like

Fixed, thank you!

If you watch all the broadcastl sports programs, you rarely see more than the minimum mention of OSU. Hubbard’s performance has increased the recognition a little but not as much as if he were at an OU or Alabama or Ohio St. We just don’t get the recognition of the top teams (even the bad ones that have worse records than OSU.) Sort of a “Tx is back” syndrome that we have heard every year for what seems like forever even tho every year they don’t “make it back.” Notre Dame is the classic example. The start out rated almost every year no matter how the previous season went.

1 Like

Some of it is, you have to talk about what people are interested in. In addition to being better at Football, Ohio State has 60K students. That translates into a whole lot more alumni in addition to the sidewalk fans. If your focus was on eyeballs, you have to cover Ohio State more. If they happened to be bad, well, talking about how bad they are and need to fire their coach is still a better play than talking about OSU.

I really struggle to accept that the Clemson comp is valid. Look at Clemson’s history and tradition that includes a national championship from 1981. Look at the historical size of their stadium and season ticket sales. It may be anecdotal, but it seems you can see a significantly heightened fan passion relative to anything OSU previously had. Prior to Dabo, they were just below what could be considered a sleeping giant (short because just below the blue blood level) while OSU was simply asleep. Dabo and Clemson were not starting from anywhere close to the same floor.
That being said, it is fair to hold out that someone like Dabo could possibly work miracles that Gundy is not capable of. But, Dabo might be that one in a million find. Texas, Nebraska, Michigan, etc. seem to be having trouble finding anything even resembling Dabo.

3 Likes

Justin F just nuked all of the mouth breathing, drool at the altar of recruiting ranking fools. Love it.

4 Likes

Porter knows it’s a terrible comp, has seen all the facts that supports it being a terrible comp, but keeps using it anyway to drive a faux narrative.

One of the best I’ve read and spot on.

1 Like

I was of that same mind set but the more I look into it the more I think it is not a horrible comp. Yes they have better recruiting grounds but there are a LOT of similarities to where Clemson was and where OSU is right now. Funny thing is reading up on Dabo today I am really reminded of someone else’s story that seems to be VERY similar… Boyton. I mean Dabo was brought in as interim coach by an AD (former OSU AD at that), that saw something in him and gave him a chance when he really did not have the experience or resume for the job. Then Dabo went on with passion and drive to create the team they are today.

I agree. It is a valid comp, but it’s not apples to apples. Biggest differences are program baselines, geographic location, and Clemson’s lack of a direct/primary rivalry with a long-standing blue blood. Clemson is the most recent example of a team breaking into what I would call the “new blue blood” category, and they’ve done it better than anyone. I do think it is fair for us to want to replicate what Clemson has done. Everyone wants to do that. But Clemson is the only one recently to have done it. Oregon got close and is still trying to lock in. In Clemson’s case, they’ve firmly taken over for Florida State and Miami in the ACC. Oregon has taken advantage of USC’s fall in the Pac 12 (and the decline of the Pac 12 overall). We’ve worked past Texas in the on-field results for the past decade (but not public perception), but are still dealing with the beast in Norman.

2 Likes

Great email by Justin. We are not in the club, right/wrong/indifferent. Not sure we ever will be by winning ~9 games a year, even with the good ones sprinkled in here and there. In all reality, where we are now is rarified air in the history and lore of OSU football.

Heck, even Dabo tried to play the “no one respects us” card after winning on Saturday. If he’s doing that, where does that leave us?

1 Like

I guarantee that people in Nebraska know who Bob Devaney is. He won back to back titles in 70 and 71. But, nonetheless, OSU does have an OSU problem. It is “little brother.” The other programs that have been mentioned (Clemson, Oregon) are not. They don’t have a traditional, powerful in-state rival. OU happens to be historically one of the best programs. It would take decades of OSU dominance and OU failing to change the fact that OSU is the little brother of a small state. The one thing that would change national perception, however, is winning a title. Clemson already had one (albeit years ago). Oregon hasn’t won one–that’s why they’re still on the outside looking in. The 2011 season was the best chance the Cowboys had to break into the club. Alas, it will take the stars aligning for it to happen again. If it ever does, and OSU is able to continue success (10 win seasons, making playoff), then OSU may finally be able to break into the Blueblood club. Auburn, not Clemson is our best model to look to. Auburn has been able to have success (and occasionally win a title) while being overshadowed by an in-state Blueblood rival.

3 Likes

While I tend to agree with the guy I think where my frustration stems from bedlam wise is that the last 2 years it felt like we had turned a corner there . We didn’t win but we played like winners, we grabbed bedlam by the nuts until they pried them out of our hands . That was not the case this year at all and Carson was not happy about it at all. I wasn’t either , Carson was right we gave up that last drive before halftime. At least try and throw One to jelani and if he gets in then with 45 seconds Left on side it and if you get it try a field goal ! Yeah it’s risky but what do we have to loose ?! We could lose a loosing (in bedlam) reputation . I guess it’s a two steps forward one step back kind a deal with the last three bedlam’s . We are still moving Forward and I am looking forward to a bedlam in October next year . That will be a nice change and I like how our schedule is setup .
Go Pokes

2 Likes

Some interesting things about Clemson and their history: 1981 national championship. Since 1986 around 80,000 seat capacity stadium (around 16th largest and nicknamed Death Valley). No in-state big brother. Awesome tradition of Running Down the Hill since 1942 with Howard’s Rock added in 1967. 100 All Americans. 200 NFL players.

I could not easily find full OSU comps. Some are: Posthumously-awarded 1945 national championship. Since 1986 around 50,000 - 55,000ish seat capacity stadium (nicknamed Rustoleum Stadium for much of its history) . Big in-state big brother. Tradition of running down to Joe’s at half-time.

In line with the premise of the Reader’s Thoughts, I believe Clemson/Dabo had a huge head start on OSU/Gundy. I’m not saying I wouldn’t trade Gundy for Dabo in a heartbeat. But we should have an open eye and mind to the reality of the differences in the history and foundation of the programs.

2 Likes

Well said