Reader Thoughts: OSU Actually Has an OSU Problem

Had to go back and watch the highlights of that game. Saints took back a lot of momentum and kicked it in gear with that onside. They also took a risk with that 2 point conversion they made but that was a good call (bc they got it lol) .

1 Like

Great article on Cowboys Ride for Free showing the Bedlam series context. Go take a look - article titled “Picks from Joes… Bedlam Post Mortem” with a subtitle “Gundy doesn’t have an “OU” problem”. Look at the spreadsheet and click the “Decades” tab. Pretty good data - especially the average margin of victory for OU. The 2010’s have by far been the most competitive with that measurement. I also find it interesting that from the 40’s through the 80’s (50 years) we only had 5 Bedlam wins (10%). Since the 90’s, we’ve had 7 Bedlam wins (23% over 30 years). The progress is too slow for any of our liking. But there is progress.

1 Like

Let me break that down for you just a little bit more. 90’s till now 30 years. Gundy has been the HC for the last 15. That means the first 15 years, 5 wins (33% over 15 years ). That leaves Gundy with 2 wins (13% over 15 years).

Hopefully OU enters the wilderness again before us.

1 Like

Fair and true. But the opponents of the 90’s coached by Gibbs, Schnellenberger, and Blake were not close to the opponents when coached by Switzer, Stoops, or (so far) Riley. The 90’s 0u team only averaged 6.1 wins per season. They only went to four bowl games - the 91 Gator Bowl, 93 Sun Bowl, 94 Copper Bowl, and 99 Independence Bowl. How do you think Gundy-coached teams would have fared against those teams?

Tom Osbourne, considered by most to be a top 5 all time coach, would have had an abysmal record vs OU if not for OU’s poor hires.

After 15 years, he was only 4-12 (they played twice in the 1978 season). Schnellenberger, Gibbs and Blake only combined for 1 win against him, whereas Switzer had 12.

1 Like

Wow - I did not know that. I would consider that highly relevant data. [On a side note, c’mon, Jerry… hire Lincoln.]

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be nice to say we beat OU more oftrn when they were good, though?

Beat Riley as opposed to Schnellenfartberger?

Gotta walk before you run.

Certainly. No argument here.

1 Like

Well then. Discussion concluded.

:smirk:

1 Like

Take a look at oSu’s record during the same time period, which includes probation, at it isn’t pretty.

1990 4-7. Won 2 conference games.
1991 0-10-1 enough said
1992 3-7-1. My first Bedlam and we let them off the hook. 2 conference wins and Bedlam tie.
1993 3-8. 0 conference wins
1994 3-7-1. 0 conference wins. Last year for Jones/Gundy (1 conference win per year average.) .
1995 4-8. 2 conference wins. Simmons/Miles OC first year. Beat OU 12-0 in Norman.
1996 5-6. 2 conference wins.
1997 8-4. Beat OU in Norman. 2 straight and 2 of 3 under Simmons. Rob Ryan DC.
1998 5-6. Three conference wins.
1999 5-6. Three conference wins. OU hires Stoops after season

Summary
13-39-1(.25) Pat Jones HC or 2.6 wins per year) 0-4-1 Bedlam Record (.0).

When Gundy graduated, he joined Pat Jones staff as an assistant coach. He was wide receiver coach in 1990, quarterback coach from 1991–1993 and offensive coordinator 1994–1995.

27-30 Bob Simmons (.474 or 5.4/year) / Les Miles (left after 1997 went 2-1 as OC in Bedlam)
2-5 (.4) Bedlam record under Simmon.

OU fired three head coaches in the 1990’s and won a NC in 2000. Leach left for Texas Tech in 1999 after 1 year at OU and before their title.

Yep, pretty brutal decade for football in my home state. Even worse when looking at actual numbers!

We beat OU four times in a decade stretch, though…

Paging Richard Kennedy.

Whoa, whoa whoa whoa, I’m going to stop you right there.

Say his name three times while looking into a mirror…and five recruiting stars come whizzing out of nowhere and slice your head off.

2 Likes

To be honest, 1990’s OSU Football basically didn’t exist for me. Pre-internet. Living out of state and out of conference footprint. I would get newpaper clippings from home anytime we got a Bedlam win, but beyond that, pretty much nothing. No TV. It’s as if those Bedlam wins didn’t exist. Kind of like the 80’s Bedlam wins (which truly didn’t exist :frowning: ).

1 Like

5-4-1 decade for oSu from 1995-2004 if I remember correctly.

Winning was glorious. Simmons hire, first African American in Big 12 history, caused such a stir OU hired Blake because they thought oSu would get all the African American recruits. OU knew Howard Schnellenberger would get dominated by Simmons in recruiting so they hired John Blake. The oSu program set OU back further and it was great. Attended the beat down in Norman in 1997. RW McQuarters was a dude in that game and best of all he came to oSu because Schnelly was such an jerk on his official visit. OU actually started the 1997 game running the wishbone they were that lost as a program. Seems like a hundred years ago. You are right about the coverage. It was horrible even if you lived in Stillwater.

1 Like

I agree with a lot of the points in this story, but the premise of why the Nebraska’s and other power programs of the world get the preseason hype that OSU doesn’t, doesn’t have as much to do with the perception of the program as he implies.

It’s all about money. Media outlets rank these programs highly in the preseason because they pack 100,000 people in their stadium and they know if they’re ranked highly their fans will watch their shows, read their stories, etc…

So unless OSU suddenly jumps their fanbase up by about 100,000 people that preseason perception will never change, no matter what they do on the field.

2 Likes