Recap: Oklahoma State wins 13th Straight Bedlam Dual

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/recap-oklahoma-state-wins-13th-straight-bedlam-dual/

OSU is 145-27-10 all-time against OU.

There is nothing wrong with the performance of this team other than the obvious, the injury bug has bitten them deeply. I was appalled to see that coach Smith let Dustin Plott wrestle instead of allowing to heal for the Big 12. He risked further injury to a bum shoulder. He probably should not even be wrestling at all. This is not a team contending for NCAA title so let him heal the rest of the season and he’ll be tremendous next season. We don’t want him to experience the injuries that Boo had to go thru.
Another guy who should heal instead of wrestle is Sheets. He is losing because he is handicapped with that bad knee.
I thought Harris did a good job against a heavyweight who is going to have a lot of success.
With the injuries I don’t expect the Cowboys to win the Big 12, It’s now about our top wrestlers advancing as far as they can in the two tournaments.
A.J. would be wise to show more offense early on. It’s going to be more difficult to come out on top of close matches as the competition heats up in tournaments. Sort of like Cade Cunningham. Get it going sooner. Oops, considering this was Bedlam, I should have said, get it going earlier.

1 Like

It seems like the wrestling-through-injury thing is not serving our team. Boo, Weigel, and Brock all have me going with PTSD over long term injuries. Those guys were all All-Americans. Is there any medical oversight or do the coaches make the final call on whether an injured guy wrestles?

1 Like

I thought we had more depth. I guess they have all transfered. Yea got alot of hurt grapplers. What do we think maybe six make nationals.

Team has depth but you saw the backups in the Cowboy Challenge. For the most part they are not good. Luke Surber is good but he got injured. Burks at 141 was so strange seeing how skinny he looked compared to the Sooner. Yes, especially it was bad for Weigel since he had a legit chance to be NCAA champion. Can’t count on Plott being in the NCAA tournament due to injury… I think when he arrived on campus he was already injured during his senior year in high school. Projected All-Americans: 133, 149, 165, 184, 197. Not many points there for the NCAA tourney. I don’t have Sheets as an AA due to his injury which might not hold up having to compete in all of those matches. Real tough break considering his pedigree and all the expectations that come with that. He was improving nicely last season.

I have seen the back ups that’s why I asked about depth.

1 Like

Depth of bodies, dearth of talent.

1 Like