Report: Medved, Alford, Drew ‘In the Mix’ for Oklahoma State Vacancy

If Drew can get those dudes to GC he can get dudes to Stillwater. Make him an offer and start selling tickets. If it’s Alford, I’ll become a Kansas basketball fan.

1 Like

You can’t see that a coach who has never coached a game is riskier than several who have and have actually gotten teams to the tourney?

I’ll concede that Doug has charisma and a heart for osu like none other and would be a fan favorite. But those things only go so far and certainly would not make up for a deficiency in ability (an unknown, granted) or experience (most definitely a known). It’s by that last token that we would become a college hoops program laughing stock, hiring a guy who is little more than a former great passing PG and an ESPN celebrity. Which wouldn’t exactly help us draw highly sought recruits, which would be a challenge in the first place.

If you can’t see the risk in all this, I don’t know what more to say.

There really is nothing to “say”. This is :us: so everyone has a right to freely express their opinion. Yes, I concede that no college coaching experience is a risk. It would take a special exception, which is what I see Doug being for the attributes previously described. I see all the second tier mid-major names presently being thrown around as huge risks, much like Boynton was. If we are taking a risk anyway, I’d rather take Doug on a very short-term, cheaper contract and carry over the relationships he has currently, his loyalty, his Eddie teaching, and throw more :moneybag: at NIL. Could it blow up? Absolutely. Would it lower our standing in the basketball world? Probably not much given even WVU was preferred over OSU as a coaching destination. But this is all moot. I suspect Weiberg will get a “head coach” designated experience to mitigate his risk to his reputation.

1 Like

I’m actually beginning to think more about Doug since we struck out on our favorites or the hot ones on the market. Please no Alford , I know he’s won but not big I don’t know how far in tournament he’s gone but I can’t get behind him. Drew dropped in your bracket after Barkley and the “ missed free throws “ :crazy_face: I knew that ate you up :joy: I don’t know what’s out there really, just throw the bus at Kelvin or Bill , you never know
BRING DOUG HOME :joy:

1 Like

Actually, Barkley did not specifically have as much to do with my opinion. I think Drew overall has been a great coach at GCU and they did “seem” to play a legit offense in their other games, including first game of NCAA tourney. But that second round game GCU did the 2 things you know stick in my craw - literally no offensive movement but just jack up a long contested 3 and, worst of all, missed freethrows :rage: That’s a sample size of 1 game though. I’d still rank Drew over Alford and Medved.

1 Like

University didn’t pay a dime to Boynton to leave. Chad was given money by a donor or group of donors and asked to fire Boynton by donor(s)

While i agree about Doug, i was told that chad told Doug that if he wanted to become OSUs coach, he had some things he needed to do before and that if he was serious about doing it he should go get a coachiig job somewhere to gaij experience and he would then be consideredm. That along with the other items, Doug chose not to do. Its hard to walk away from $4-5 million a year for $200-300k.
I don’t blame Doug for not wanting to so that.

1 Like

With a rebuild needed, at some point do you have to look at giving Will Wade a chance? It’s hard to argue with the success he has had. I get it, he’s got a lot of baggage. Options are seemingly getting more limited by the day.

Yeah but it was still a few extra million dollars that could’ve been used elsewhere since we didn’t land a top choice coach. We’re only a few days from the buyout drop with no coach still.

We could fire Chad, and then not have a plan for his replacement and then we hire a new AD that will leave/fire every 3 years….

Doug would only pack the arena if he won.

By hiring him cheaper, we could Not allocate money to NIL. That money cannot come from OSU. It has to come from Private donors.

1 Like

Agree Doug would need to win. That’s true of whoever is hired. As Gundy has repeatedly stated, OSU only has a smaller cookie jar of mega donors. It’s the same mega donors that continually get asked to fund - whether coach buyouts, NIL, or facilities. Even though they are mega donors, OSU is only going to squeeze blood from that turnip up to X amount of dollars. If we don’t have to raid the cookie for a huge new coaching contract, by default more money is available for NIL. Actually, some of the schools are explicitly tying coach salary and NIL salary money availability together in a package even though NIL is still technically funded externally.

1 Like

Had we waited for april 1 the donors would have only given that amount and no more. So its not like we would have had a few extra million to play with since it was money we didnt already have.

Bill Self

1 Like

If it was Bill Self, that would explain his line about “thinking about next season”. It would also explain why flight tracker isn’t giving us anything. Don’t have to fly from Lawrence to Stilly.

I’m sure if Chad and Bill had ever had a meeting someone would have seen it. That’s the type of news that travels fast. Could it have been all phone calls :grin:

So it appears that Alford is staying at Nevada and that it’s coming down to Steve Lutz and Bryce Drew. I wouldn’t be surprised to see an hiring announcement tomorrow (Friday 3/29).
Also of note is the contracts for Sprinkle and DeVries (the assumed top candidates OSU wanted). Both will making at or a little over 3 million per year. Makes one wonder what OSU is offering.

I guess I prefer Lutz over Drew. Neither is that exciting to me. I’d probably feel different if Chad wouldn’t have dragged it out this long on top of wasting 1.5 mil.

1 Like

Well, if Greg Swaim is to be believed :man_shrugging: then Lutz is the guy and the contract is being worked out.
https://twitter.com/GSwaim/status/1773183360212295749?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet