Report: Medved, Alford, Drew ‘In the Mix’ for Oklahoma State Vacancy

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/report-medved-alford-drew-in-the-mix-for-oklahoma-state-vacancy/

Three names to keep track of as OSU’s search continues on.

This is beyond disappointing. It’s borderline sickening. If this is what we’ve got after spending the extra money to fire Boynton a few weeks early Chad needs to hit the unemployment line with Boynton.

1 Like

Medved is who I am most excited about, but Drew definitely intrigues me too. He flamed out at Vandy but recruited really well and might’ve done better with more time.

Anybody but Alford please, don’t need him and his baggage from Iowa that comes with him

3 Likes

We get leftovers.
Alford is the best bet. If he declines, then try Drew.
It’s not looking good.
Regardless, we are not finding the next Eddie.
I don’t think Alford wants to go backwards by joining a team requiring a total rebuild from the portal.
But I remain grateful that we are at least not continuing with our coach who was not the right guy for the job. Shame on Holder.
We can’t sink any lower, so we’re upward bound now.
Program requires the right coach and a miracle to significantly increase NIL money. Need more than 2 real good players.
Not sure how long Chad will remain in place.

1 Like

Or we just keep skidding along the bottom

It could still get worse. Mizzou just went winless in conference play, That could be us if we make a crap hire.

Id give Drew a shot before I’d hire Medved. He is one season removed from a below .500 year. He has never won the conference and lost in the first round in the only 2 tries he has had. He would be a disaster for OSU. We are literally at the bottom of the barrel with these picks.

2 Likes

I’d be okay with Drew but the bad iso ball and poor free throws bothered me in the game against Alabama as it strongly reminded me of Boynton. Feel free to @ me, but at this point with only leftovers remaining, I’d be okay with Doug. Certainly I’d take Doug over Alford and Medved. I know Doug has no head coaching experience, but he’s been around college ball all his life, has ties to the current team as a consultant, is a passionate alum trained under Eddie, he would pack GIA with older alums, and he could be hired relatively cheap, which would let us sink a ton more into NIL. Oh, and he actually WANTS the job, LOL!

1 Like

Why not give Doug a shot. We might regret this hire but there are a lot of things to like and he would work his tail off!

2 Likes

:100: Get on the Doug :steam_locomotive:! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I’m not sure I’m on the Doug train yet, but there is a point where Doug starts to be a better candidate than some of the names being thrown about. And that point ain’t far off from where we are.

2 Likes

Not really excited about this but if it comes down to these three, I’d go with Alford due to experience and he’s been fairly successful at every place he’s been. For me, he would be the “surest bet” of the three, which is what OSU needs right now.

1 Like

Not sure of that. I’m a big believer in second chances for folks (as was Eddie Sutton, given he got one), but Alford’s history is a lot to forgive and forget. This article details if interested.

1 Like

If the last two choices are Doug and Alford, how could they not choose Doug?! Alford played for Bob Knight. That alone is enough for me to say HECK NO.

Take with a grain of salt
https://twitter.com/Poke_Scoop/status/1772404707543138326?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

1 Like

I like him better than Alford or Medved but still have the iso offense concerned noted above.

1 Like

Ugh. Medved? What’s exciting about a guy that went to the ncaa tourney with CSU two years? Travis Ford redux. Ford did relatively the same at Western Kentucky and UMass.

If those are our choices, I’d go with Alford first and then Drew. Alford has the most proven potential. Drew underwhelmed at Vandy, but that’s a tough gig. He comes from good coaching stock and clearly has shown he can win from his years at GCU.

1 Like

Mark my words, if we were ever to hire Doug (which we won’t, I hope), not only would we become the laughing stock of the entire college hoops world (no, we aren’t yet), but we would suck utterly and completely.

Can you imagine him coaching against the likes of Self and Sampson? Does anyone think it was embarassing this year? That was nothin’.

Please lay off the shrooms, folks.

1 Like

Unless we hire Bill Self or another Hall of Famer, there is no “sure bet” to turn around the dumpster fire that is current OSU mens’ basketball. Certainly the 3 candidates listed are very risky. Make fun all you want, but I don’t see Doug as any riskier than those 3. No one would be as passionate or fight harder for the program than an alum under Eddie who had continously bled orange and already has connections to the current team [through being a consultant]. I’m not on shrooms nor am I ashamed of this opinion. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I agree on those two except I like Drew the best. That family can just coach their a$$e$ off. Alford would probably leave after a few good seasons if he could get us there.

1 Like