Robin Ventura Joining Cowboy Baseball Staff

Hey now. Was just looking for an excuse to use noogie.

2 Likes

As a White Sox fan, that highlight is forever embarrassing.

As a Ranger fan, it is iconic.

1 Like

So why don’t more teams do this? Is there a limit to how much you can pay/can you pay a student assistant? Has to be right?

Ex. Need a few extra assistant football coaches beyond the 10 allowed? Congrats, Todd Monken you’re now enrolled in Econ 1004 and your grad assistant stipend is $1.4M. -or- Hey 5 star recruit! Your mom played highschool basketball right? Great, does she want our newly opened up student assistant coach position? It comes with a $500k a year stipend.

Well I know the second example about hiring a recruit’s parent wouldn’t work because the NCAA has a rule that you can only hire a relative of a recruit into an on-field/court coaching position, which is why the Cannen Cunningham hire was fine. But you can’t hire them as an analyst/GA/director of whatever. But on your first example about just hiring regular coaches as GA’s, I’m really not sure. I would assume there’s some kind of rule or surely someone would’ve done it by now, but I’m not sure.

1 Like

Maybe Robin simply wanted to go back to school, and thought this would be a fun thing to do…? He has money.

I agree that’s most likely what he is doing. Would make sense for someone like him to make a career change and wants a few courses to support it. Might as well spend it around the baseball team, not like he’d have any peers elsewhere. I was just opining about the opportunity elsewhere.

With Ventura now a student manager, I was thinking about the alumni coaches we have. I saw the 1987 OSU yearbook on my desk which I use to elevate my laptop. Decided I would check for pics in there containing a chunk of our current coaching staff. Check out what I was able to find! There was also a pic of Tom Holliday, so maybe if I looked hard enough Josh would have been playing in the background. Man, the 80’s were a golden era of OSU sports! @kyleporterCBS @seth

4 Likes

That is fantastic. Three of which have had a multi-decade effect on OSU.

1 Like

And those are just coaches and the AD. Obviously there were other greats then as well… Michelle Smith, Kenny Monday, Mike Sheets,… not to mention Thurman and Barry.

1 Like