Slow Starts and Sputtering Finishes: What Has Doomed OSU This Season (and in Season's Past)

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/slow-starts-and-sputtering-finishes-what-has-doomed-osu-this-season-and-in-seasons-past/

This paints a grim picture of OSU’s late-season struggles.

Hate to quote Barry Switzer, or Darrell Royal, or whoever, but there’s definitely something to be said for “Jimmys and Joes.”

2 Likes

Who is in charge of jimmy and joes?

1 Like

“It’s a pattern of failing to develop depth and of failing to properly recruit quality depth.”

I don’t know what you’re talking about. Gundy said earlier in the season that we have decent depth. I guess that’s easy to say when you’re 4-0. I guess the truth of it actually comes out when your team sustains some injuries :man_shrugging:. I guess of course if your goal is just making a bowl game then there isn’t really any point in this article.

2 Likes

A few points.
Regarding Halftime deficits, there is typo in your numbers. KU led OSU 24-7 at half. You state that in those 4 games that OSU was losing by 27.7 per game. The actual number is 21 per game, which is still poor, but now corrected.
The sputtering finishes part of the article doesn’t show the other 7 seasons, which I assume the Cowboys went 4-1 or 5-0. Since bedlam is traditionally at the end is the season, that would make sense.
I said before the season that OSU would go as far as the O Line could take us. Fans and media alike said that the line was better than last year. I was wary….we lost Sills and Godlevske, our 2 best linemen and got better?
Well we didn’t, we got worse. Dickey has not done much through 3 seasons. We have skill positions, but our TBs have only had 2 runs over 20 yards this year? Can that be right?

1 Like

Poor coaching has doomed this team. Can’t get a good offensive line, Dickey needs to go. Can’t make in-game adjustments on defense, Mason needs to go. Can’t have any wrinkles with play calling, let’s just stay vanilla and use the same plays we’ve used for the last 10 years, Dunn (or Gumby who likely mico-manages) needs to go!

1 Like