Snowmageddon

I don’t get the rolling blackout timelines. Across highway they didn’t have power for like 10 hours yet we’ve had ours the entire time.

1 Like

To David’s point, why are we conserving energy and how are companies making these decisions to shut it off? Is it a bandwidth-type issue? Is it a supply issue? I find some of this stuff very hard to separate this from what happened in California with PGE. Company’s are asking us to slow down now that they’re in a pinch (whatever the cause may be) while they rake in profits every other time of the year?

I’ll bite my tongue if it’s a supply issue affected by the storm, but I certainly will not if it’s an infrastructure issue caused by the energy companies themselves. We pay for services, now deliver in the time of need.

Someone other than @ScottCorken (I made sure to @ ya bud, don’t worry) please make me feel stupid so I’m not mad.

7 Likes

It’s likely the utility doesn’t trust its system to manage rolling the blackouts. Really infuriating to see… same thing is happening in Austin.

4 Likes

For my OK friends, be prepared to get your electricity shut off:

Seriously, what is the point of a rolling blackout? Especially with the weather how it is. Unless the storm damaged something it seems crazy that it would be necessary to conserve power

2 Likes

Hey @GeoPoke, it is definitely a supply problem. Natural gas power plants are offline across Texas. They don’t have any natural gas as fuel because the fuel is being prioritized to residential dwellings.

I’m happy to answer any questions related to what’s happening to the electric grid. It’s my expertise and it’s a large part of my dissertation.

7 Likes

I recommend keeping any faucets to a steady stream instead of a drip. Our pipes in OK aren’t insulated for sustained temperatures below 0 F.

3 Likes

Rolling blackouts are a way to reduce electricity demand because of a supply shortage. There’s not much else the grid operator can do—this is a last resort option that is occurring right now. This is the equivalent of calling people to board the lifeboats.

1 Like

So you’re a Ph.D., phil?

I’m a PhD candidate. Expect to graduate in July.

6 Likes

Ahh, ok. That makes sense. If they can’t get fuel and people are all running heat I can see why we’d run out of power. Thanks!

Wouldn’t getting the power source the necessary fuel to keep it going be the first resort, not the last?

As a general PSA to people who want to prepare for their electricity or gas getting shut off:

Put towels at the bottom of exterior doors to help seal off any drafts

Close all blinds, close all curtains

Use extra blankets against windows to help insulate your space and reduce heat loss

Top off any pitchers with water in case water is shut off so you can have a supply

Charge any portable batteries you have

5 Likes

It’s a priority system and I’ve been searching for the specific legalese that specifies natural gas priority on the Texas grid. I can’t find it. The fact is natural gas is being prioritized to residences for space heating. It’s a tough choice either way.

That is very interesting. Correct me if I’m wrong @phil, but this seems like a circular issue. The gas you get to heat your home is prioritized over the energy company. However, when you lose power you can’t operate the blower motor which runs off electric, because the power companies don’t have enough gas to generate power due to a low supply which is taken up mostly by home owners.

1 Like

You nailed it. It is definitely a circular problem. I’m seeing unverified reports of natural gas distribution lines freezing which causes congestion as well.

2 Likes

So you’re going to be Dr. Phil?

You should change your name to Ph(D)il.

5 Likes

Literally, JUST came up as a notification.

3 Likes

NG lines freezing would be something.

1 Like

If they are above ground in pipes not rated for sustained ultra cold temperatures I can believe it. But like I said, haven’t seen anything verified.

The shocking thing that is verified is that the Texas grid is without 27 GW of thermal power plant capacity at the moment. 27 GW is around 33% of peak demand for the state in the summer.

1 Like