Spring Preview: One Big Question, Several Potential Answers at QB for Oklahoma State

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/spring-preview-one-big-question-several-potential-answers-at-qb-for-oklahoma-state/

Can the Cowboys replace the skill and experience of Spencer Sanders?

Be curious to see what Glass can do with Rangel. Noticed they’ve upped his weight on the roster to 189. He sure looked like 175 last fall. He really needs to be 200 at least; preferably 210. He just looks like a high school quarterback playing college football.

3 Likes

Like I said before he arrived, Gunnar would do well to go somewhere else. I feel sorry for the kid. How do you lose QB2, and thus not the starter when QB1 goes down, position w/out playing in a game??? I was never in favor of him becoming a Cowboy, but HC bending backwards NOT to give your kid a chance just because he’s your son is wild. Why was he ever QB2 then??? :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

1 Like

For being a lightweight he sure doesn’t have very good foot speed.

2 Likes

I could be wrong but wasn’t Gunnar injured for some of those games that he didn’t play?

I think the most interesting storyline could be, “Healthy Gunnar Gundy Enters Fall Practice as QB1” It may not be likely but he took a gap year before starting at OSU so he’s essentially what? A Junior by age?

What is the best scenario here for Cowboy football though? Is it one year of Bowman and then 4 good years of Flores? Is it Gundy or Rangel for 3 years and then 2 years of Flores and then so on? Its kind of exciting but kind of tough trying to lay out the future of QB is Stillwater.

2 Likes

I get the whole “shiny new object” syndrome, but completely overlooking Rangel is a disservice to both Rangel and the program.

He was a legit 4 star recruit out of Dallas 5A football that threw for +9300 yards, +100 TDs, and 18 Ints in THREE YEARS. We didn’t pay any attention to him since Sanders was the clear QB1. We do know that QB2 transferred out coincidentally when Rangel landed in Stillwater. It took Rangel all of 9 months on campus to learn the playbook and unseat a second year QB that literally grew up in our Offensive system.
Hell, Gunnar got 10x the press & fan chatter and while we hoped, no one predicted ever as QB1 material.

Outside of his first start ever against KU Rangel threw a total of 2 interceptions, with a consistently ineffective OLine and Run game.

While he’s not a dual threat, the game tape shows a very mobile QB (4.6 according to Gundy) with a very quick release, very accurate, strong enough arm and excellent decision making. He played WAY BETTER than Sanders did his first season.

Will be interesting if the Bowman fawning is warranted, or if just another click-bait tactic by the “press”. To my knowledge, not a single prediction is based on actually practice information.

My prediction is that Rangel keeps the QB1 spot with Bowman as a change-of-pace QB2. Gunnar keeps the QB3 spot. Flores won’t play unless it’s a dire situation.

Fran Tarkenton once summarized his natural abilities, “I’m small, but slow.”

1 Like

Nope, not the one where Pops elevated Rangel as the starter.

Tarkenton has wheels, not sure what you were watching when he played. :joy: :joy: :joy: He would run circles around Rangel.

1 Like

Biggest concern for me is the OL, if they jell it will open the run and protection up big time
Rangle never looked comfortable to me, very nervous, just throwing the ball and hoping a receiver runs under it. If Flores has thd arm everyone talks about and a decent runner I think he gets time this year. Maybe just enough to save a redshirt
We will miss Sanders running

1 Like

Twasn’t me being critical of Sir Francis; was his self-deprecating quote. Still my fav all-time player.

3 Likes

I know, but Fran was always a humble dude, self-deprecation! :slight_smile:

Re: Sanders, I read where he hasn’t been throwing this spring due to shoulder. Jaxon Dart is still the frontrunner to start at Ole Miss QB.

2 Likes

That shoulder must have been worse. Not saying bowman will play 15 games. But, stll like him to be healthy at the start. Every one talks about bowman. Sanders only had 1 year with no injuries. Still missed a game that year with covid.

1 Like

Boman brings the experience and he can be good if healthy. He had some really good games at Tech before the concussion. Hopefully he stays healthy until one of the young ones stands out

1 Like