Superlatives: Looking at the Plays and Players That Mattered in OSU's Win over Arizona State

Originally published at: Superlatives: Looking at the Plays and Players That Mattered in OSU's Win over Arizona State | Pistols Firing

A new MVP this week and one way OSU’s defense is tracking better than last year.

Tyler Lacy reminds of Kevin Williams from yesteryear. Obviously, Williams was bigger, a true DT, while Lacy is a hybrid defender. However, they both had/have the ability to push their lineman back into the backfield and really disrupt the play. I can recall back in 2002, Williams exploding into the sooner backfield and made Quintin Griffin make an unexpected move. Williams didn’t get him but made Griffin waste time and the defense caught up and tackled him for the loss. I see that in Lacy. The safety vs Cent Michigan is a great example. I think Lacy has played himself into at least a 2nd round pick with an opportunity to move into the first round of the draft.

OSU fans, do you believe this is the best and deepest defensive line OSU has ever had?
I have always thought of the Leslie O’Neal, John Washington, Rodney Harding group as the best, but I’m not sure it was as deep as this year’s. What do y’all think?

2 Likes

So far it’s looking that way. Will see how the season goes.