The Top 5 Quotes from Mike Gundy's Final Spring Practice News Conference

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/the-top-5-quotes-from-mike-gundys-final-spring-practice-news-conference/

Gundy talks Mark Daigneault, new rules and more.

“ Obviously, we play a three-down, but it’s not any secret that we’re playing some four-down with it. That’s been a learning process. ”

Sounds like someone isn’t sold completely on a 3-3-5.

Nardo better get our defense squared away. We were putrid last year–guys constantly out of position on the back end, and it didn’t get any better over the course of the season. Not sold on him at all.

1 Like

FWIW, I hope he isn’t sold on it. I personally felt like the 3-3-5 was the wrong choice in the first place. It seems like such a disadvantage in stopping the run, which was apparent last year. IMO defense should be flexible enough to line up in 3-3-5 as well as 4 down, and a team shouldn’t be married to either formation.

We have players that are accustomed to a 4-2-5. Oliver is not a coverage dude. He’s an edge rusher. A 3-3-5 is weak on the edges of a formation. I don’t mind the 3-3-5 for certain situations, but we do need some four man fronts. We were 96th in rush defense last season.

1 Like