Todd Monken Notes

One thing I know for sure is Monken does not enjoy college life and competing with classes for time with his players. I fully trust what Kyle is saying, but I still think an analyst job is more likely. Just my opinion tho.

At a high school in Tulsa

He is the running backs coach at Tulsa Edison if I remember correctly.

I think at this point it’s more generational. That’s another million to pass down, another generation of Gundy’s with that security. Of course it’s more than he could ever spend.

2 Likes

If that’s honestly the case and he doesn’t enjoy college life, then I would definitely take back my HCIW statement. Seems like recruiting would fall even further…

1 Like

I get the feeling it would be longer.

7 Likes

Results on the field aside, I am imagining how much happier @kyleporterCBS and Carson will be just to have Monken interviews. A change in tone of PFB podcasts would be stark - Pre-Monken and post-Monken. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Assume this means that the HCIW attachment is part of the deal from what you are hearing. Correct?

That’s a little cryptic there, KP. You thinking an HCIW situation? Coaching Gunnar? In Stillwater as long as his own son is in school? None of the above?

You brought up a really interesting point I hadn’t thought of yet. I’m sure Gundy wants Monken to come back even more than he normally would, since now Monken would potentially be Gunnar’s QB coach. I’m sure Gundy is being very protective of the QB coach spot because now his son is going to be in the QB room. (After next year)

You guys, as much as I love Monk, let’s slow on the HCIW stuff. He’s been a head coach before at Southern Miss. If you take a look at how they recruited before, and after he came, it got worse after Monk took the helm. They dominated their conference in recruiting, then lost their spot when Monk was on board.

If what’s being reported is true, that he’s not too keen on dealing with the stuff that you have to when coaching ‘student athletes,’ then this data would jive with that.

6 Likes

I’m guilty of being a member of the “Moar Monken” cult, but let’s also not forget that he was handed the keys to a Ferrari with Weeden2Blackmon in Wickline’s prime and it was just two years. That said, give me Monken!

5 Likes

He also drug an offense quarterbacked by Lunt/Walsh/Chelf to a pretty decent statistical season too

1 Like

And what would he be getting now…

Dodge Hellcat Challenger… Not as exotic, but has all the horses to go fast if its let free!

2 Likes

And that was after Gundy forced him to keep Lumt benched when he came back from injury.

It got worse because Southern Miss was 0-12 in 2012 and 1-11 in 2013. Wins increased every year from 2012 to 2015 when Monken left.

1 Like

I love Sanders’ potential, and Wallace is a heckuva WR, but we’re talking 2 first rounders here with Weeden2Blackmon.

2 Likes

Missing a ton of context here though. Southern Miss was a complete disaster when he took over. Johnson completely destroyed the program in one season and they went 0-12. Monken had them at 9 wins before he left. I don’t know how much recruiting rankings mean in Conference USA really.

Not saying Monken should be our next coach but he did a really good job at Southern Miss.

4 Likes

I agree with this. I was simply pointing out numbers, and that we shouldn’t instantly romanticize ourselves with him automatically being the future head coach because we loved him for two years as OC.

1 Like