Two Key NCAA Decisions in Favor of Student-Athletes (Specifically at OSU)

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/two-key-ncaa-decisions-in-favor-of-student-athletes-specifically-at-osu/

How Spencer Sanders and future Austin Eckroats benefit from these.

All debate aside about whether or not athletes should be paid, I am worried that this could be bad for schools like OSU. In smaller locales like Stillwater, there will be less ad money to go around for athletes. I already hear so many people saying “you just can’t recruit kids to Stillwater, there’s not even a mall.” This adds to that argument, true or not, that narrative will be out there and may affect how recruits view going to play in most Big 12 cities (Ames, Manhattan, Stillwater, Waco, Morgantown). It could benefit Houston for being in a big market with more add dollars available to players but mostly will benefit Power 5 teams in larger cities (TCU, Texas, USC, UCLA, Stanford).

1 Like

In addition to the geographic issues raised by @TayJ I think the athletes getting endorsements hurts the 2nd-3rd tier teams (wherever you believe OSU is) and helps the rich get richer. The blue-bloods have bigger/more donors who will now have a legitimate way to actively help their team recruit. “Want to make money for playing, come to (Insert Blue-Blood) and Daddy Bigbucks will pay you $$$$$$$$$ to appear in his accounting office’s safety video!” Jersey sales are bigger for the blue-bloods. Every way that they have advantages today just get amplified when the boosters can actively, openly pay players for whatever they want.

1 Like

That is exactly what will happen. Come to our school and you can endorse my Chevy dealership for some big bucks. The NCAA continues to show how foolish they can be at times.
We already have the hired guns effect going on with free agency in MLB, now it has trickled down to college sports. This will also be linked to the transfer rule. "Hey Bro, you just had a fantastic year in Stillwater, why not transfer to my school where they are paying me big bucks to have my likeness on the local garbage trucks. What you wasten yo time playen for free, fool?
So this will be the case. The NCAA should at least try compensate the schools by creating a rule that whatever the player earns from endorsements, a certain percentage needs to go back to the school to pay back toward his scholarship. If his scholarship is worth $40,000 a year and he just got paid 10 grand by a booster owned company, then he does not need all of that $40,000. So give back half of that 10 grand to the school.
I can hardly wait to hear Gundy comment on this proposal.