Unpopular Opinions

The strip sucks. There are like 6-7 options. Need 10-15+, also some roof top options, better patio options.

8 Likes

Coney Island now has a rooftop bar I think. Not sure the hours.

3 Likes

Unpopular opinion: The fan base obsession about alumni being coaches

This isn’t unique to this board but anytime there is a coaching opening every former player is legit through out as the replacement. Most of the time they have zero coaching experience

Then when a coach is hired w/o OkState ties they resume is tore apart as not being good enough or high enough level of coaching…like you just wanted a player that has never coached or recruited before as your top choice

I’ve got my flame suit on…let me have it lol

17 Likes

Absolutely this.

2 Likes

When the Strip had Dirty’s Tavern (not sure if still there), it was very similar to Murphy’s and that annoyed me.

Right. I’m not bashing on what we have, I just think it could be so much better. Coney is trying with the rooftop bar. Shots is a big space that could be something a bit more exciting for college students. I’d also like The Strip to be blocked off after football games.

And yes, the liquor laws don’t allow any “free” beer and puts limits on specials. I know most students would trade the new laws for old deals that are no longer here (Free Keg Friday’s, Wheel, drown nights, etc.)

2 Likes

I think it’s cool when it happens to line up like Holliday or Gundy or Bratton. But those guys were good hires who just so happened to be alumni.

5 Likes

Right. It’s the ‘he’s an alum therefore he is good and we should hire him’ mentality that hayes is talking about that is…unhelpful, I think.

1 Like

I’m not sure how unpopular this opinion is, but the “USO! USO!” chants stopped being funny some time ago.

11 Likes

Blocking off for football games could be tremendous. But that would take the city doing it and doubt they do.

1 Like

I had a friend that went to city council on this issue and they basically said “No”

The “so true” chant needs to stop.

15 Likes

This and “So True!” to the Alma Mater.

7 Likes

ESPN+ has been an overall good thing.

6 Likes

Travis Ford never having a fair shot from the fans was incredibly frustrating. He was such a good dude. Eventually, yeah, he proved he wasn’t very good… But the folks that were holding tickets and refused to let those seats be filled for basketball games basically killed GIA.

4 Likes

I agree, I think the strip is becoming too homogenized. The classics(Murphy’s, Outlaw’s, Willie’s, etc.) are the classics, but any new bar needs to do something different. My personal favorite when I was in school was College Bar, because they did exactly that. They would do bingo, foosball tournaments, trivia, etc. during the week (don’t know if they still do), and it was the only smoke-free bar on the strip. Combine all of that with the fact that they had the best drink specials (many of which unfortunately they can’t do anymore because of the new liquor laws), and it was definitely the kind of bar the strip needs more of.

1 Like

This has been said already, but “USO” and “So True” suck. USO just sounds dumb, and So True during the Alma Mater was actually started by OU fans trying to mock it. The fact that we’ve now embraced what was originally our rivals making fun of us is embarrassing.

1 Like

The spirit run at basketball games sucks.

8 Likes

I don’t like it because it makes everyone stop making noise and it gets awkwardly quiet too quick after a score

2 Likes

I haven’t been yet, it’s called the Cellar I believe. Which is a strange name for a rooftop bar. Definitely will check it out in the fall.