Walt Garrison

Oklahoma State lost a legend this week. Ex-Cowboys RB Walt Garrison, who competed in rodeos, dies at 79 - ESPN

1 Like

Heard about Walt on my ride home from work.

Truly, a legend indeed. Great story in RA’s “100 Things to Know About Oklahoma State” about how Walt came to Stillwater.

4 Likes

Walt Garrison’s time at OSU was before I was born, but I’ve heard a lot of good things about him. His last game in orange and black was a win against the land thieves. That’s a big thing for me.
I was also 6 years old when his time as a Dallas Cowboy ended, so I don’t remember very much at all about him playing for America’s team. I do remember seeing commercials for I guess it was chewing tobacco that he made. He would always say-- “All you need is just a pinch between your cheek and gums,” or something like that. It’s crazy the things you remember.
Anyway, RIP Mr. Garrison.

3 Likes

Talked with him at a few alumni events here in Dallas. Nice guy. Really like the story of requesting and getting a horse trailer as his signing bonus in Dallas. He always provided some really cool wood carvings to the alumni auction.

4 Likes

I got this at a Posse auction a few years ago

6 Likes

Walt was good as gold, never heard a brag word out of him. Could have been a good bulldogger as a football player if he dedicated himself
Was a good friend, always the same , going to miss Walter. I knew he had been in decline Last saw him at his roommate funeral 2-3 years ago.
Always a Cowboy :cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

Awesome picture of Walt :cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like