'We Offered Him a Great Package': Gundy Talks Knowles' Departure

Influence leads to negotiations, and negotiations lead to decisions. So there isn’t a difference. He’s the same guy that flirted in 2017 after failing to meet the expected goal. Guess what? He got a new contract.

Yes, although it gets split between the school and conference. And then the coaches get a bonus. If Knowles was on Ohio State’s staff this season he’d be inline for a $323,000 bonus for them making the Rose Bowl. Based on his incentives and Ohio State’s history since the playoff started, that’s the smallest bonus he can expect with a max of $1,130,500 in bonuses available.

Baylor built a better brand quicker than us in the last eight seasons. Might I add they’ve done it under four different coaches since 2013.

Baylor is in the middle of Texas. Have a brand new stadium. In a bigger town.
I know Joey none of these are good points.

We spent $286 million on our stadium. Baylor spent $266 million. So that’s not really a good point Roberto. Also, Waco is in the middle of nowhere in Texas (a lot like Stillwater). I’ve been to both several times. You won’t really tell a huge difference between the two. The infrastructure is bigger in Waco, but it’s not by a ton.

That 286 million was not spent on anything but paint luxury box and gia. U guys forget that 286 mill was not just spent on the football stadium.
Waco is in middle of Austin, Houston and Dallas.
And 4 times the size of stillwater.

Do u call people when u put indoor plumbing in ur house. When u build a house u throw a party.:partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

2003: Pickens donated $70 million to OSU, with about $20 million going to renovations of the football stadium that would later be named in his honor.

2006: A college-athletics record $165 million was donated by Pickens for the football program.

2008: Pickens also added $63 million to complete the football stadium renovation.

Okay….fine. He spent $248 million on the stadium.

1 Like

Again retaining coaches isn’t under Gundy’s sole control. I don’t get why some here can’t understand that.

Again Gundy does what everybody else does, it take two to agree on a price so it’ not solely on Gundy. He is doing the rational thing

So how do you know that Baylor’s brand is better? What data are you basing that claim off of?

Baylor since 2013- three conference titles and three NY6 bowls

Gundy since 2013- zero conference titles and two NY6 bowls

When Baylor still sucked Gundy was 6-1 against them. Since Baylor has become a competent program Gundy is 4-7 in his last eleven meetings with them. In fact, in two of those four victories Baylor had posted records of 1-11 and 2-7 (in 2020 they had 42 players out due to COVID). Baylor has also been under four different head coaches in the last 11 meetings.

Baylor will be the new leader of the new Big 12 , and recruits will go there first. I don’t know how many times Baylor has to prove to us that a coach can be the problem or solution for a football program in the winning department. Especially when it comes to playing for championships and major bowl games.

It’s funny all that happen around the same time Baylor got a crooked coach and a brand new stadium.
Our problem is we have a straight coach with paint on an old stadium.

Did this year happen around the same time as the scandal? Because they just won another Roberto.

Way to go Jeff take it out of context.
Their still located where they are.
They still have the newest stadium.
The bad behavior was the catalyze.

New year and new coach and new trophy for the Baylor bears🤷‍♂️. While we just go to a meaningless bowl game. Aging there are some fans out there that are still scared of the dark. Baylor is not and they are winning meaningful championships with different coaches and you guys say it just can’t be done here LOL. Crazy

1 Like

It isn’t so much that it can’t be done in Stillwater as it is can you afford the gamble?

25ish million to get rid of Gundy, probably over 5 years or so. Gundy has won an average of 8.7 games a year. So to not fire the next guy he has to average better than that. If he’s “only” 8-4 after 3 years he’s gotta go too, figure we didn’t bring him in at Gundy’s salary so maybe it’s only 8 million to buy him out probably over the two years of his remaining contract, but we’ve still got 2 years left of Gundy’s buyout to go. Now we’re paying two coaches a total of 7 million a year to not coach. We probably have some assistants we’ll be buying out as well. How much do we have left to go out and get this new coach who will definitely win more than Gundy and Gundy’s replacement?

I get wanting Gundy to retire sooner than later. Firing him is not a smart move.

It beyond that if u take his last 3 years. He has averaged 9. His recruiting has been his best and increasing each year.
One problem gundy haters have is they blame gundy the conference didn’t have title games. So in reality we have had 4 title game teams.
I’ve never said we can’t win at stillwater, but they really want to be a blue blood. Not being a bb will not guarantee a better coach. We could have got the caujan coach but for how long. Is dykes going to win at tcu, I’m not in with that. Can McGuire get kids to tech and coach.

Baylor went to the Big 12 championship games with two different coaches since Briles. Aranda won one of them. You don’t need a crooked coach to win. You just need a competent one.

And gundy without a new stadium or cheating has qualified for 4 title games.
Ur just repeating urself.
It’s unreally how u can keep crying with gundy having his second best year and his best recruiting class .
He has done what u asked for.
So in ur own words there is nothing for u to cry about

Then let’s wait 5 years and take the gamble. Matt Rhule went to the Big 12 championship game his third year. Aranda won a Big 12 championship in his second year.

Here is Gundy going on 10 years and he still can’t get his second conference title. Great coaches are out there. You just have to be willing to look for them. What the administration told us back in October is that as long as we get to six wins then that’s good enough.

Even Pat Jones of all people said we should already be past that point. I don’t know how old you are or if you remember, but Baylor traditionally used to battle it out with Kansas for 11th place in the Big 12. They did that up until about 2010. Iowa State did that up until 2017.

So while these traditionally bad programs go out and get coaches to improve their programs, and do what they can to try and be champions, we continue to stick with the guy that’s just good enough to get us to any meaningless bowl game.

I’m willing to bet that a three or four years from now in the new conference we’ll all be sitting here scratching our heads trying to figure out why we can’t win a conference with OU and Texas gone. Hell!!! We can’t even win the conference with OU not playing in the championship game.

Hiring a new coach isn’t always a bad gig. Especially when the current one doesn’t know how to fit a game plan to the personnel he has available in the game. As we witnessed in the Big 12 championship game. You more than likely aren’t going to have to shell out an astronomical amount of money for a new coach coming in. In the meantime “We’ll just do what we’ve always done!!”.

1 Like