What Raiding the AAC Could Mean for the Big 12’s Future

I think boise and byu are in the same conference.
If we go to the merger, byu is a must. If we get bosie then byu would have to come. They also get almost 60000 in attendance. That would be around tops with the 8 of us.
I know alot of u guys think that big schools in big towns would be great. Alot of these are commuter school. Houston only gets 25000 and I dnt think their tv numbers are that great. But if in the big 12 playing better teams all their numbers should go up.

Always, ALWAYS, say no to Houston. The Houston area is fertile recruiting ground for OSU and you don’t want to lessen that by bringing the hometown Cougars into the conference.

I have always heard that. We took a lil hit when tcu joined. So we need to decide if they would be one of the cogs to keep up in the 25 million plus tv range or miss out on 1 or 2 guys. Which is better. If we only make 9 million in a second class conf. Won’t we lose those recuirts anyway?

The entire recruiting landscape in Texas will change going forward due to (a) more SEC competition than ever before with OU and Texas moving to SEC (b) NIL and © transfer portal.
Previously I agreed with your statement about not adding Houston, but going forward, if our only option is to add schools to the existing 8 conference members, I don’t know how we don’t add Houston.
It’s just as close (or closer) for Houston high school players to go to Ole Miss or Miss. State as it is to go to Stillwater.

Dragging down per-school revenue? The Iowa St AD said it best. “Without Oklahoma and Texas, we’re the MWC.”

Cincinnati and UCF would immediately be competitive with the best of the remaining B12 schools. Memphis isn’t far behind. Houston has as much potential as any team, but has yet to bounce back to the potential they showed in 2015.

Short term, raiding might save the Big 12 but would result in devaluing OSU’s appeal to major conferences.
Big 10 would ideally be the best conference for OSU, but it doesn’t appear to be viable due to the AAU. I feel the best realistic outcome for OSU is to transition to the PAC 12 with another current Big 12 team or 3 (Texas Tech, Kansas, Kansas St). Staying in the Big 12 long term or moving to the AAC would result in a huge loss of money for OSU’s athletic department and the ability to be viable in major college sports.
I know I would rather see OSU play USC, UCLA, the Oregon schools, the Arizona schools, etc from the PAC 12 or Big 10 schools such as Ohio State, the Michigan schools, etc compared to playing UTulsa, Tulane, Memphis, etc. I could see the PAC12 or Big10 schools drawing crowds for football and basketball but can’t see much interest in the AAC schools appealing to the fan base.

I’ll support the Cowboys no matter where they land, but joining the Pac-12, “makes me wanna puke”

1 Like