What the Seismic Shift at Oklahoma Means for Oklahoma State and the Big 12

The loss of coaches, players, and recruits is unprecedented in OU’s history. So the effects of that are uncertain.

BUT, as stated by others, this is OU we’re talking about and they have always reloaded, not rebuilt, so odds are they’ll be competing for a Big 12 title next fall.

“A future hall of fame coach groomed, and then handed the keys of his Ferrari to, his predecessor.”

In this situation Stoops is the predecessor and handed the keys to Riley, his successor. Unless you’re saying he gave the keys to John Blake for some reason.

1 Like

I’m not saying it won’t affect them. I just think we don’t know HOW MUCH it would affect them. Seems like we’re just basing their results off this year when you need to look at them as a program as a whole.

Even Alabama sucked and was on probation. Saban got that ship turned around pretty dam quick. I think OU is taking some time and really trying to invest in the right hire. They aren’t trying to Texas the crap out of this thing.

They may also get 6 or 7 players from the transfer portal as well to make up for what they’ve lost. My point being we just don’t know. A lot of things can happen between now and September next year.

The seismic shift at OU hurts them right now. But the transfer portal taketh……& it will giveth too. Odds are the new HC will be Venables or Lanning & both of those guys will bring instant credibility on the defensive side. Listen , I’m an OU but I’m not gonna spin a bunch of rainbows and crimson Kool Aid. This stuff has negatively impacted the program. But, it’s absolutely something that OU can rebound from quickly. It’s fair to say that it could have some longer lasting negative impacts…….but it’s also fair to say that OU could be back at the top as quick as a year from now.

2 Likes

I thought this was a interesting question, how many OU teams in the last decade could this OSU beat?

Maybe the 2012, 2013, and 2014 OU teams if I had to guess. I would say that’s really about it.

You won’t ever make the playoffs in the SEC. I applaud your enthusiasm! But try to, really try to be realistic. Your little wagon is going to get dumped every Saturday for years to come.

2 Likes

Nothing on this post….but you have bashed Gundy all year. Be a man and own it and don’t pretend you have supported him all year. It is disingenuous at best.

2 Likes

I think OU will lucky to finish top 4 in the SEC every year over there. Even on a good year. Once LSU, Florida, and Arkansas start getting better. I don’t know why but I feel like their recruiting might take a little slump in the next few years for various reasons like if the playoffs don’t expand and Texas being in the SEC getting their top players to stay in state now because of the move. I could name a few more. I’m kinda hoping Cincy, Baylor, and Iowa St doesn’t loose their coach. I would like the big12 to be strong when the new teams come in and we are still reaping the rewards from this year by then still.

Not all year, I haven’t bashed him consistently.

Go read the OU boards, almost every one says the refs cheated, or it was rigged to get them gone. Every excuse but that you just got beat. I’ve got news for them when they roll into Tuscaloosa, Auburn , Mississippi, Florida etc they won’t have a welcoming party for them. It will be welcome to our brand of refs here. I highly doubt the SEC letting anyone come in and start kicking a&&es

I’ve really tried… and I mean really tried… yep we still have an average top 10 recruiting class over the last 8 years. Not sure if you pay attention to the odds, numbers, and stats but the only teams to win a championship the last 20 years had to average top ten recruiting class. I tip my hat to the pokes this season, but maybe just maybe if you try… and I mean really try… you can see a team with OU’s track record can compete in any conference.

I think the NIL offer to Caleb Williams will be critical to sooner success next year.

Ou will definitely compete in an expanded playoff scenario in the SEC. They will battle Mississippi, A&M, Arkansas and believe it or not the shorthorns for that #10-12 spot.

1 Like