What We Know (and Don't Know) About Chuba, Tylan, Monken and Dunn

Have you defined what “failure” would be?

What if I told you…their numbers will be higher than that?

Also feel like because of the way his season ended (injured/out, barely played in the bowl game), it has changed the feelings around Sanders for some fans.

If Sanders was healthy in the bowl game, and played as good as he did before injury… we would be talking more about how he has the chance (and ability) to be the best QB in the league next year.

SS isn’t Bobby Reid, and I think he will become elite

1 Like

:cowboy_hat_face:

And Braydon Johnson… googly moogly

1 Like

If he’s not a finalist for a national award during his time at OSU.

Top 10 offense next year. Top 40 defense?.. I’m getting ahead of myself. My eyes get big with the potential

Don’t get me wrong man, I’m not saying don’t use the middle of the field. That’d be pretty ridiculous.

I’m saying it’s not as easy as ‘call the middle of the field play.’ It’s just a bit more challenging to use it effectively, so a QB has to be pretty good to spread it inside and out. Just saying that there’s a CHANCE that it’s not all on the coaches that the middle wasn’t used well, and there’s a chance it could be some on the QB too is all.

2 Likes

For those curious about a La Tech fans’ opinions from Reddit. The Thread for those curious.

So Tim is a Tech legend. He is in our hall of fame. Everyone in Ruston and our alumni love him! He’s a great QB recruiter. We got some guys who had P5 offers when he was here.

He actually left this last season and was the QB coach at the Redskins. He got let go in all that mess. So now he’s heading over to you guys! A lot of people think he’ll be our next HC after Skip Holtz, if he keeps getting experience.

But our QB JMar Smith kinda struggled his second year under Tim. This year he was the conference OPOY. But those first 2 years I believe we had a top 10 drop % in the nation. He also had a knee injury. So I really don’t think it’s on him.

But Ryan Higgins, and Jeff Driskel were AMAZING when Tim was coaching. So it’s kinda mixed bag but more positive, with how JMar did his second year while under him. But like I said, he’s an amazing recruiter and an amazing guy. I really hope he is successful at State.

Also, from the same thread.

What the tech fans up there think is definitely a better indicator, but Dwayne Haskins really progressed this year in Washington. Part of that’s of course the game slowing down little bit but a large part of that should be given to his QB coach.

3 Likes

I knew he holds records there but this praise is legit pump the hate breaks and take a better look. Not a name anyone knows or why would they outside Louisiana. But, Gundy knows how to get good peeps in good positions on the offense side of coaching

Canada, by land mass, is a larger country than the US. People never seem to realize that.

3 Likes

Gotta agree with you here. Just like a big recruit, you make room if they want to come.

Honest question. Where are we supposed to hire assistants from? LaTech is a very solid Group of Five school in the heart of an area we like to recruit. Its not like it’s a D2 or NAIA school. You act like he was coaching at the Sisteds of the Poor. I have no clue if he will be any good or not, but this is exactly the kind of hire we should make for a position coach. Guy was an absolute legend as a player. Had several years to develop connections in two places we want to recruit (LA and Zona). Has the catche of coaching in the NFL. Time will tell, but this seems like exactly the type of hire OSU should make.

7 Likes

Well said. His dad also has long-reaching high school football coaching ties.

3 Likes

Just like the Cade announcement during that first night of basketball games.

1 Like

You may be right and he may be just what we need. As I’ve said earlier, I’ve come around to be willing to give him a chance. I’m just annoyed at all the talk of how ‘this is a great hire’ and citing all the things he’s done well as proof of that (I don’t think that being a legendary player means crap in terms of qualifications as a coach, sorry) while explaining away things he has failed at as not being his fault. He objectively sucked in Washington, but because it was only Keenum and Haskins, somehow he’s completely off the hook in terms of that. I can’t support that train of thought. Be excited if you want, but let’s not act like he’s this godsend that will revolutionize our team. He has NFL experience. Awesome. He failed there. He can be a good fit and do good things and still have drawbacks that are worth discussing. That’s all.

This is a decent to solid hire guys,
4 out of 6 bullets in the wheel . The only thing I’m questioning is how long he’ll be here if he’s any good and his last year in redskins(who probably aren’t great to work for) isn’t overwhelming but I can totally see this working out .

Pretty sure Edmonton is on Mountain time. Not all of Canada is Toronto and Quebec, haha. Just most of the people.

1 Like

So. A few things. Gundy went against what he said out of his own mouth about what he wanted in a OC. Not saying it’s a bad thing but this to me closes the door on Monk as OC and probably puts Dunn as OC. Which I know for a fact wasn’t the guaranteed plan from the beginning.

What Gundy comments are you referring to?