Who Killed Her?

Winning cures all.

4 Likes

And what creates winning?

1 Like

Scoring more points than the opposition.

4 Likes

Keep digging

Having an offensive system which allows Oklahoma State to outscore the opposition.

2 Likes

And who creates that system? C’mon, you’re doing well. Keep going.

3 Likes

Ideally the head coach or an assistant coach

PS. There also needs to be a balance between offense and defense.

2 Likes

“Winning cures all.”

But our fan engagement at the event cannot be content to wait for a winner. The crowd can be the permanent 6th man. Actively influencing the game regardless of the opponent or score. While having a blast. That’s what GCU has done,. The energy starts before the game. And continues to the end, regardless of the score. And not just when the walk-ons get in at the end of the game.

1 Like

I really really really want this to be Boynton. Getting less likely by the day. Seems like his social media/school interaction/student engagement is waning. And obviously the on-court results have hindered his ability to do this over the course of this season.

4 Likes

I don’t necessarily disagree with this, but what measurably bad things did Sean do that started a downward trajectory? Bad luck was out of his control.

(This is not to say he is free of blame.)

Drug addiction aside, he brought in some really good players.

3 Likes

I agree with Chimp. Even good coaches will have some bad luck or down years in a sport like basketball which has much more inherent parity. Sean’s primary problem (which was indeed a major one) was his addiction. If not for his addiction issue, I firmly believe Sean would have continued the Sutton legacy, including great rowdy tradition at GIA, full attendance ( :wave: anyone remember the student ticket lottery days at GIA) and a long-term winning program.

3 Likes

I have never liked boytons basketball on the offensive side. EVER.

I love the defense and hustle.

Additionally I never liked fords defense but his offense made more sense. With Brad, we had both IMO and it was the most similar to Eddie’s. The other area that I love and saw similarities between Eddie and BU was player accountability. As a fan you knew if a shot was taken out of sequence or if a screen was not set, immediate repercussions would follow and likely some time on the bench.

When players knew they would be held accountable, there was a shorter leash for screw ups and improv and the game had more structure/better flow. That’s the type of basketball I grew up playing and that’s what I loved about Eddie. I truly believe boyton wants to be an nba coach and his style is more suited for a G league, nba type game.

1 Like

Disagree on Underwood. His offensive flow was better but was not impressed with defense. Anyway - I think much of this has to do with the evolution of the game of basketball in general. It is not like it was when we were younger.

As for the leash… that’s a tough balance in today’s world. Eddie would not be able to coach the same today as he did. Not saying he wouldn’t adapt - he was outstanding. But it would be different.

1 Like

I blame Holder. Gave a super long contract to a super mid coach. Found a solid replacement, and let him walk after one season. Hired a consulting agency just to find a guy from the end of Underwood’s bench. Made the same mistake of giving too long of an extension, and now we are stuck with a guy who has no idea how to run a Big 12 program.

Holder is sooo overrated. I give him credit for his relationship with T Boone, and that’s about it.

Edit: and having the guts to hire a sooner as the softball head coach

1 Like

One note on the “rowdy tradition at GIA” being a Sutton legacy. I wholeheartedly disagree. We camped out for games in the early 80’s when Paul Hansen was coach. Arrived for the WBB game so we could have great seats for the MBB game and sat right along the sideline. Filled the old Gallagher Hall regularly, even though we only made the tourney once. Sure, 82-83 was probably best, when we had a 24-7 record. But we had a strong environment even in 83-84 (13-15), 84-85 (12-16), and 85-86 (15-13).

Did Sutton elevate the experience and make filling the expanded GIA a possibility? Sure. Absolutely. But a rowdy, engaged, passionate fan base existed for OSU basketball before Eddie Sutton.

5 Likes

Popovich’s teams during their title runs always reminded me of Eddie’s teams. I just love fundamental basketball. Probably because of my yearly attendance at coach hayes cage camp where we would shoot free throws for two entire days.

1 Like

Can we send the current OK State mens team to this :thinking: :laughing:

2 Likes

I’m 100% in the camp it’s going to take winning to bring the rowdy back to GIA.

It might help regardless of the score if the team was fun to watch but it’s like watching paint dry.

3 Likes

Out of curiosity, I looked up our 83-84 season with the 13-15 record. Home record was 6-3 (5-2 in conference). On the road, we were 0-7 in conference!!!

1 Like

Exactly. Watching paint dry. The environment is STALE. But my opinion is that OSU needs to make an attempt at it being a “party” for students even in an L. Just gets MORE FUN with a W. And those start to build.