Who Killed Her?

Environment is stale because the product is stale.

2 Likes

Ahh yes, the memorable Hansen days.

1 Like

You mean like having a popsicle and pretzel party?

3 Likes

We usually see pretty eye to eye. But you’re not getting this. Or, you get it and just disagree. Either way, it’s OK. :slight_smile:

Haha. Yeah. Not going to cut it.

2 Likes

I get it but none of the marketing around Oklahoma State has worked recently. Only when the team starts to get hot then the fans eventually get burned.

Has to be student-focused. Not the rest of us.

My dad always talked about this too. Really boosted the WBB attendance

Have to admit, I did school work in the stands during the WBB games a lot (out of necessity).

Even the students are lackluster about going to games.

1 Like

In retrospect, this looks like Holder made a bad decision. But at the time, coming off the bad Ford contract, I don’t blame him for not overly rewarding BU for one year of success.

Right, but wasn’t he one of the lowest paid coaches in the Big 12? Could’ve negotiated new terms without giving a silly 10 year extension.

I don’t think Holder ever got the chance to negotiate. Brad demanded a number, Holder said “Let’s Talk”, Brad went to Illinois before they could

2 Likes

Is that what really happened…or is that what Holder wants us to believe? :thinking:

I think he fumbled the bag.

Holder was an excellent AD. It’s possible he fumbled but it seems more likely to me that Underwood just snaked us.

2 Likes

Ehh, not a fan. Football and men’s basketball are the sports an AD should be judged by. His relationships with two of the greatest coaches in school history were shaky at best. Our basketball program is toxic waste because of his actions.

Credit where it’s due for getting things built though.

Part of what irks me about this is the ridiculous ticket prices to sit somewhere decent. How can you justify asking $250 per seat in the 200 level when your arena is only 30% full? And $40 to sit mid court on the top row of the arena. Are you that worried about ticking off your very few season ticket holders? Let’s get people in the arena no matter the cost. You want to create that “rowdy” environment again? Make it affordable for a family of four to sit somewhere other than the 300 level in the corner.

7 Likes

I would say not continuing the momentum/trajectory from Eddie’s tenure by missing the tourney in 06-07 and 07-08.

Agree completely that he brought in great talent both while as an assistant for Eddie and as a head coach. But at the time, what (I think) most expected to be a one year rebuild in 05-06 turned into 2 additional years of mediocrity and missed tourneys. And actually based on Dave’s charts in the bball thread, the 05-06 season was actually the best of those 3 seasons by KenPom - was surprised to see that.

Maybe unfairly, but based on the continuity Sean had by being the HC-in-waiting + recruiting most of the players, I expected more from him during his 2 seasons as HC.

1 Like

You could be right but a similar situation happened with Jim Knowles and most don’t see Knowles as a snake. I think Holder was an excellent fundraiser for facilities, etc. (one of the best) but just not the best at negotiating contracts.

2 Likes

They’d come if the team is fun to watch. This team is like watching carpet grow.

4 Likes