With Championship and Season Cancellations Looming... NCAA Must Do What Is Right

Agreed on all counts. I just love that the douchebag is willing to penalize hundreds of kids out of FEAR of what our program could be next year.

8 Likes

I had been unsure of what I expected from next year’s team, but knowing that KU fans are openly afraid of what we could be makes me very excited.

2 Likes
1 Like

Just saw that. HUGE move. (Although it doesn’t cover basketball since it’s a winter sport…yet).

Also does not cover wrestling yet.

I don’t get the “seniors only” limitation. If you’re going to give anyone a do over it should apply to everyone. Spencer Lee’s opportunity to be a 4xer is as meaningful as anyone’s last shot at one.

It does seem like that’s what they’re doing for the spring sports so maybe that’s what the NCAA is actually looking at.

Let them play, the product was taking a step back this year anyway . Bringing them back is only going to make your product better .

1 Like

I’m as big a critic of the NCAA as anyone, but props to them for working this out so quickly. Hopefully winter sports follow along, but this is a legitimately good thing they’re doing.

1 Like

I know we’ve been talking about how good we would be if they granted seniors an extra year. It’s got me thinking most of the season was over so there is plenty of film. How many will declare for the draft still? Also will more 1 and dones come back next year like Kentucky. Other than OSU what are other teams that would benift huge from seniors coming back based off of who’s coming in. I’d have to think Arkansas and auburn would benifit huge. Dok could cane back to KU just interested to see what people say and think

Can I be the contrarian here?

Look, what happened absolutely blows. I hate how this happened and especially for seniors. But the reality is basketball guys got to play in over 95% of their possible games. Why do they get 35 more games when they could have maybe had 1 or 2 more. You can’t grant all these guys an extra year. Because now it would negatively impact younger guys and current high schoolers. A lot of high schoolers and younger players would effectively “lose” a year of playing because the market is now flooded with returning 5th year seniors. You’re robbing from one pocket and putting it in the other pocket. There’s just no feasible fix for this, unless you give every player an extra year INCLUDING incoming freshman. Then it becomes a 4 year fix for guys who maybe could have played a couple more games.

The teams I feel absolutely the worst for are Dayton and San Diego St. Those two teams were having once in a lifetime seasons where they had legitimate shots to win it all, especially Dayton. I feel bad for teams like KU, too, but they’ll always be good. Dayton fans will likely never have another team as good as this year and they didn’t get a chance to compete for a title.

10 Likes

Absolutely!

You make a great point, but I think it’s an opportunity for a couple of things… one this is beyond basketball. It includes baseball, softball, and several other sports that have had their seasons effectively cancelled.

In baseball, that’s a pretty huge deal. A solid senior season gets these guys drafted.

For freshmen in all sports, I think the redshirt opportunity is one a lot of athletes look back on and are happy that they had it. They get to grow and mature for a full season before being tossed into the fire. Basketball is a bit different because rosters are small and players are more developed at younger ages… but think about this most recent group at OSU. Don’t you think the Boone twins or Harris would’ve been benefactors of a redshirt?

I think it’s beneficial for a ton of teams… not just OSU. It allows you to build depth and develop an additional class of leaders. I frankly think this would be most beneficial for the mid-majors and programs that have been struggling in basketball.

In wrestling… again I know it kinda helps OSU at 125 lbs but that’s really it. Hopefully Joe Smith still moves on.

3 Likes

Ugh. Another year of Joe Smith …

2 Likes

Retweet.

1 Like

Does John Smith really do that to Dustin Plott? I don’t think so…

I’m not sure Joe himself wants another year

3 Likes

Please do be the contrarian. Excellent points and a lot to think about. Agree, our Seniors were probably down to just 2-3 more games. But, I guess it’s a way to try to give the Dayton/San Diego/KU crowd a do-over and another shot to go after the title. But, the reality is that most of the Seniors aren’t likely to come back. Maybe a guy like Cam that’s a borderline NBA second-round pick comes back to take one more shot at playing with Cade catching the eye of the right NBA scout. Using our other two Seniors as examples, Lindy and Dizzy have no shot at the NBA. Unless they want to come back and play while finishing their degree or starting on their MS, just not sure they come back. If you extend that across the rest of the NCAA, it’s hard to predict how big of an impact it makes.

If this extends out and we lose the football season, do we become the Dayton or San Diego State? We have the potential to have one of our best seasons ever, but if the season is cancelled, no way Tylan or Chuba come back in 2021.

2 Likes

There is another side to this. Say all four of our basketball seniors come back. With the stud freshman we are bringing in, do Keylan, Harris, hidde or Even Anderson look for greener pastures?

1 Like

In this situation, you would think they’d relish the opportunity to keep learning and have a shot at a postseason run.