Without a Legitimate Run Game, OSU's Offense is Fool's Gold

Offensive line gets way too much blame. If you look at actual numbers, the line has done a pretty good job protecting the QB (less sacks than teams like OU). Injuries happen, but I am convinced the real problem with the line (besides recruiting) is scheme. OSU does not put it’s running backs in the best position to be successful, i.e., blocking assignments, personnel, formations, etc.

1 Like

This might be kind of long. I’ve been pretty quiet over the past 2-3 weeks, but here’s my overall assessment of the situation:

1. Gundy says he doesn’t try to go aggressively to the transfer portal. I think the mounting injuries is some proof that you probably should (Jaylen Warren anyone?). What happens if you don’t go to the portal and you lose players to the portal? You get a defensive backfield that struggles to stop the pass. What happens when you can’t find a runner? You can’t get a consistent rushing game.

2. Gundy has also stated he hopes that OSU comes close to BB status by the time he leaves (whenever that might be). I might get some crap for this, but some of the people on this forum are correct. You have to win trophies to get to that point. How do you do that? You have to get better players and better assistant coaches. We’re in year three with Dunn and I’ve not seen anything drastically change. I can’t really fault Mason because it’s his first season, but it’s almost as if there has been little change in our defensive schemes throughout the season. You also have to have an excellent team more than every 8-10 years to try and reach the BB status.

3. I could understand losing this past weekend by 3-7 points considering the injuries we have (where is our depth?), but that was a total embarrassment. We have 16 points in 8 quarters in the last two games. This is leading me to believe Gundy has lost (or is currently losing) the locker room. Kansas went 2-10 last season. Are they really that much better now than some of the guys we have on our roster? It seems like every team in this conference is finding ways to get better while we stay stagnant and just pray to the man upstairs that maybe one day we can play a major factor in our conference again.

4 Likes

@bill18 everything you say here has merit. On #1 I think there is some nuance in how Gundy answered the question regarding the portal. In fact we do use the portal, case in point, that you made, Jaylen Warren. On #2 can’t argue with anything there, to get to be a BB you have to win a Natty or two. On #3 certainly both O and D under performed in the last game. I do think that the O was affected by turnovers and the fact that the D consistently got gashed for large gains and couldn’t get off the field. This affects the O in reduced time on the field and an inability to go with the game plan i.e. they have to start winging it in order to make up the scoring deficit. Couple all that with a freshman QB playing for the first time and an overall sputtering O and you get the results you got.

1 Like

When did you become a fan jeffy, I would say somewhere around’09,’10 ? If it was before how much biotching did you do then ? Or crying in your beer !! I’ll say that we have never had teams rush the field after beating us until Gundy started consistently beating everyone but the goons. You are a fair weather fan…nothing more

1 Like

I agree with you in spirit, although the Yurcich hire was one of Gundy’s biggest missteps. We did NOT need a $400,000 salaried OC intern to be Gundy’s puppet at the time he was hired. We needed another aggressive OC that had autonomy. jmho…

Now, as for our problems. Yes, foundationally, recruiting of both coaches and players is the answer to everything, no matter the problems. It is also the biggest restriction to success when you are not a blueblood. In short, you gather the best you can for every season accounting for turnover and then, within that season, optimize the talent you have via schemes and game plans.

Within this season, with the run game a weakness, it was borderline moronic to try to hold on to leads or establish the run first in any game. We quite successfully under Holgy and Monken used the passing game to set up successful running. We should have been pass happy from the first kickoff as that was our strength, along with QB runs when lanes presented themselves.

Emerging from the locker room versus TCU and only attempting to pass on third and long in the third quarter I will always regard as ‘gundied’ to the degree of losing the Texas leads a few seasons in row in the early 2000s. …but, he is ours. lol

Mike Leach PROVED (well, he provided strong evidence, as opinions cannot really be proven… lol) that a team with less talent but utilized more effectively can be very competitive game in and game out. His TxTech offensive lines were mediocre on their best days. Yet, no one wanted to go to Lubbock.

GO POKES!!! :cowboy_hat_face: :softball: :cowboy_hat_face: :softball: :cowboy_hat_face:

I personally am looking forward to the Iowa State game, but softball and women’s basketball seems much more alluring.

Stop being so quiet… rationale thinking is often a bit lacking here. lol

I do love how all you guys can rate the oc buy what they did.
One fact 2010 and 2011 probably was the best offensive team osu every had.

Seriously can anyone guarantee to me that monken and dana are these juggernauts everyone wants to make them out to be.

You also forget the real reason gundy hired guys like thise last yahoos. So that he could keep them longer. Didnt work.

1 Like

The proof is Gundy has never done it since. It’s that simple. So, simple minded people like you should be able to understand.

1 Like

Who monken or dana. Jug i know you would be the one. Who would stumble up and start telling us what is what.

You and have had this discussion before.

1st was 2011 and 10 not the best years with the best players overall on offense.

Has either had better offenses else where.

I know one of you yahoos will say monken won a natty. No body was impressed with his offense last year at a bb team.
If we go off records dunn’s last year would be second only to 2011.

What did those two bring in to osu.

1 Like

Funny how results always gets in your way. Dunn’s offense can’t score consistently. The defense has to many quarters where the offense doesn’t score. Even with Rudolph, he wasn’t as accurate as Brandon with the ball. If they ever get a QB who is 67% they’ll win.

One time just once, i would love gor you to answer the question with out trying to deflect.

We are taking about dana and monken being good only because they had the best players.

We already know from you that sanders sucks, the oline sucks and te suck.

You know when you deflect by telling us what sucks now just helps prove dana and moken had it better.

1 Like

We can’t tell if the TE are good or bad because they’re never schemed for.

2 Likes

Still not the point. I want 1 of you yahoo to explain how dana and monken were these savers.

We have had nice te. Again another strange view you guys have. Name some te that play in a air raid offense.
When i read you guys alot want that air raid.

I can name tons of te in a west coast offense.

So either you yahoo dnt know what offense is or what a te is.

You guys want 5 recievers, a te and a rb all going out on routes.

1 Like

You keep tabs on all of us and what we say RE praise or criticism of coaches? You’re AMAZING, lol. You’re one of those fans who think everything Mike does is GOLD. If it isn’t obvious by now that he often plays NOT TO LOSE instead of going for the throat then you probably have bad eyesight. You obviously don’t realize, but you have plenty of excuses, our O-line hasn’t been good for quite some time. Can I recommend Lasik?

Yeah, they’re just out there to block and confuse defensive coaches…who aren’t fooled, since we rarely if ever throw to one, LOL. Let’s be honest, Gundy is scared to throw across the middle which is why we never see a TE look-in, and rarely slants, hitches, curls, etc. by WRs and the slot guys.

I wasnt calling you a yahoo, but i feel you want to be one

I know who gundy is.

The line would be better if we didnt lose all those linemen. Which had nothing to do with our coaches. We have 4 ex cowboys starting around the nation that has hurt our depth.

Im. Not sure if you know what throwing over the middle is. All those other routes you may neef to look up too.

I know your one of those guys who crys when life not prefect. You are sounding alot like Joey the more you post.

1 Like

I’ve seen a lot of passes thrown over the middle to JP or Presley… so I don’t know what you are referring to that we don’t throw over the middle. We have been a big play offense for a long time. Us being young at receiver that don’t know how to position their self for balls has happened a lot

1 Like