Zac Robinson: The Next Bill Self?

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/zac-robinson-the-next-bill-self/

Looking at the parallels between Self’s ascendance and that of Robinson’s.

2 Likes

I’m lost did Zac get the hc gig. I didn’t see anything.

No but he is making good money. At least not that I know of…

1 Like

I think in time Zack could be a good hire. Recruiting. , being able to see the diamonds in the rough. Seems to be good for offense

2 Likes

my prediction (kinda wild) but Gundy retires after his kids are graduated. I’m guessing a former OSU player or our d.c. Mason will take over head coaching. I mean no disrespect but what more is to prove or gain after your boys are done playing and especially if you haven’t gotten to at least a play off game or won a couple more big12 championships. Your legacy will be the most winningest head coach in program history, building the brand, and turning it around. A Bill Synder kind of guy.

2 Likes

Your thoughts all made sense till you added Bill. LOL, guy was on his second tour of duty in his 70’s lol. Guy would still be out there if he could stay away from losing. Lol

2 Likes

He’s not exactly Bill but may be that was too far. lots of winning seasons, cfp conversation, bowl games every year, and a big 12 championship.when your boys is gone graduated from OSU and your ceiling has been maxed with what you’ve accomplished so far still then what would you do? I’d probably look to be AD, retire, or try somewhere else for a few years to see what happens.

1 Like

I said it on here the other day, Zac might be the next oSu HC after Gundy hangs it up, if it isn’t too far in the future. If not, JW, I still think he’d make a heck of a college HC.

2 Likes

Not a fan of defensive guys being HC. Modern game is very much centered around offenses. Any high-level HCs right now that’s a defensive guy?

1 Like

Heck of a nice guy too. I’ve interacted with him a bit on Linkedin. Kids will love him I think.

2 Likes

Nick Saban and Dave Aranda and Kirby Smart come to mind.

1 Like

Just maybe. Zac is in the nfl. Jw would be ready to take over for gundy in 15 years.

If Zac is not a nfl hc, but we would be renting him if he does well from the nfl.

1 Like

Aranda’s done an amazing job. Shocked LSU didn’t go after him instead of fake southern accent doofus! :joy: :joy: :joy: 3 out of how many head coaches though? It can be done if you have an innovative offensive coordinator. I don’t think B.O.B. (Bill O’Brien) is that dude for Bama, probably why they lost to UGA!

1 Like

He probably went the NFL route simply because he was working for NFL QBs and guys who were going into the draft and didn’t have a good offer to coach in uni is my guess. Are we even sure he wants to be a HC in the NFL, it’s not for everybody but there are pluses and minuses w/ both NFL and NCAA HC gigs. But yeah, I’m assuming he’d want to be HC at oSu one day…he might nave little to no interest.

2 Likes

It may depend if recruiting is his deal or not. Lots of good coaches work in the NFL because of recruiting mess. Work on a kid and he commits and a month later goes somewhere else. Don’t know how far along JW is , maybe Gundy is grooming him ?

1 Like

Venables is also a defensive guy.

I think Zac or JW might be good options. I’m not sure if Weiberg is going to look outside the family more than Holder did or not. If Gundy had stepped down before Holder, I think you could’ve almost guaranteed it’d be one of the two. Weeden could’ve been a good coach, but he went the commentator route.

1 Like

How does he count, he just started? Let me know when he does well in LandSquattersville. I think he’s going to be the next Gary Gibbs or John Blake. <— two defensive guys

1 Like

True, but he’s a personable guy, kids and parents will like him. JW has been exposed to football coaching since he was a tyke. It’s in his blood, and he would be a good recruiter IMO.

2 Likes

JW should be a good recruiter, like you said he’s been around football since he was born. Lots of energy too. Seems to understand the game, never pouted when he was just in on goal line situations when Mason was here

1 Like

Eh…

1.) I think too many people put stock in the “this is the way things are going” line of reasoning. Innovators zig when everyone else zags. Following a trend just puts you behind the trendsetters and ends up spreading resources too thin amongst all the teams trying to do things the same way.
2.) I hope this is a disaster hire for OU, but I suspect he’ll be fine.

1 Like