10 Mid-Major Coaches to Know in Oklahoma State's Coaching Search

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/10-mid-major-coaches-to-know-in-oklahoma-states-coaching-search/

Names to know as OSU searches for its next coach.

I’m all in on Will Wade

3 Likes

From this list, I’d go with John Becker.
KT Turner could be an interesting choice given his pedigree as an assistant, regional ties, and recruiting ability. The only thing that’s a concern is his lack of HC experience.

Hire the scumbag Will Wade to turn this thing around. If he leaves after a few years who cares this thing is at rock bottom and he could turn it around immediately. You get him to turn it around and if/when he bolts the next guy is setup to build.

3 Likes

That hire feels too much like a Boyton hire. I’m a little gun shy on that one again.

1 Like

Oh I agree KT lack of HC experience is a cause for concern. That’s why my choice was Becker.
As for Will Wade, his baggage combined with OSU’s history with the NCAA makes me real uneasy. Not to mention he’s under a show cause penalty until the end of the 24-25 season.

2 Likes

Well we learned all you have to do now it’s tell the NCAA to suck it and give em the double birds.

3 Likes

Agreed. He will get the program winning again, might come at a cost but this program is dead and winning is the only cure. He may only last a few years but he will turn the tide.

Second choice from this group is probably Drew.

1 Like

Which is exactly what we should have done from the beginning.

Great idea, maybe he can put us on probation for the next coach as well….

1 Like

Probation for what? What he was doing is legal now.

2 Likes

Exactly. The landscape has totally changed and the NCAA has little authority, most everything is legal these days anyway.

1 Like

We need a proven winner right now. Will Wade provides exactly that. He turned around a shitty program in 1 year. We’re a dogshit program right now and if he could turn it around in 1 year I would be over the moon. For some reason a large enough portion of the fan base want Doug Gottlieb who’s never coached a Division 1 basketball game in his life. We need to win and we need to win fast.

1 Like

A few years ago I wrote on this blog what Berry Tramel wrote today. OSU has only had great teams under two coaches. Iba and Sutton. Both in the Hall of Fame.
Do we have the bucks to buy a future Hall of Fame coach? I think not.
Therefore, history repeats itself.
We will grab a guy on the above list from a mid major whose had recent success. But not against competition at the level of the Big 12. So not much will change.
At first I was excited about grabbing a new coach, but then I remembered that T. Boone is gone. We don’t have the funds to buy the coach we need and then the players we need.
The future is not bright for Cowboy basketball. Therefore, it really doesn’t matter who they rope in.

1 Like

Coaches who cheat continue to cheat.

2 Likes

I agree with you. We’ll hire another coach who will have minimal to moderate success and eventually we’ll fire him too

What cheating will he do now? What he did is now legal to do. What’s he gonna do now? Pay off the refs?

1 Like

Chris Welch turned a 1-29 Langston into 31-3 conference champs and doing as well this year. Leads the Sooner Athletic Conference both in points scored and points allowed. (Less than 60)

1 Like

That only works if you’re a school other than Oklahoma State. It’s guarantee to work if you’re the chicken hawks.

1 Like

Let’s be realistic here. Is this even considered a good job? We were dead last in the toughest conference. We don’t spend $$ on basketball as evident of losing Underwood. Face it. Unless we can guarantee the next coach some NIL, not sure anyone would want this job!!!

1 Like