10 Thoughts on Oklahoma State's 23-16 Victory Against Missouri State

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/10-thoughts-on-oklahoma-states-23-16-victory-against-missouri-state/

OSU wins ugly to start the 2021 season.

“We have to do a better job of setting the schemes — whatever it is. Whatever we have to do to get those guys to block it, run it, execute it. That falls on me.”

Good!!! Now go fix it because it looked horrendous!!!

If you guys aren’t concerned about scoring 23 points on Missouri State and only having 3 points in the second half against them I would suggest that you should be. Looks like the Tulsa game is going to be a barn burner for sure.

What I witnessed tonight was incredibly infuriating. Gundy has spent 3 LONG MONTHS telling us the o-line has improved so much, that the 4 rb’s are gonna be studs. Soooo much bullshit. Same thing, different year. Gundy allows this team to play down to the level of competition. Year after year, it happens. The defense still can’t stop simple QB zone read plays. A guy who joined Mizzou State in July probably outrushed our team. Special teams is one step forward, 2 steps backwards. To add to this, we had an entire offseason, it wasn’t shortened or altered by COVID. That excuse is completely worthless at this point. Mike Gundy has had 4 F - - -ING months to prepare his team for this game. Failed miserably. At what point are donors and regents done?!?! Is it gonna take 1-11? Cause that’s possible after what I saw tonight. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

5 Likes

Good think gundy doesn’t call the defense.

1 Like

Hey but look on the bright side guys…sanders is going to be back next week so should really amp up this offense.

1 Like

I’ve been saying it for a while now. He’s no longer a good coach. Either he’s way behind now or just doesn’t give a ■■■■, or both. Even if his teams start well they quickly fall apart like in 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020. His recruiting sucks as well.

If he wants to recruit some average-skill players and develop them then fine, but at least recruit some high-quality lineman that can make a push at the line of scrimmage, or change up the scheme because it’s not working. The line hasn’t been consistent and been really up and down since 2013.

It’s crazy that in some weird way Tulane can at least average 3.1 yards per carry at OU, but Mike Gundy can’t get his offensive line to average 2 yards per carry in a home game against Missouri State? The last few years he’s not been a coach of strategy, but rather a coach of excuses. The problem is we have fans that won’t demand accountability and Gundy knows it.

The last time Missouri State played us within a touchdown was in 1996 (The Bob Simmons Era). If we aren’t careful we’ll end up being what Nebraska is in the Big 10 right now, and that is a 4-8 team at best. Based on what I’ve seen today I don’t know how they get to 6-6.

That targeting call would have really hurt us if we had any different team next week besides TU. We have to be smarter on both sides of the ball.

1 Like

The Sooners only had 3 points in the second half vs Tulane and ou HAD their first team Qb…

1 Like

Didn’t OU play down to the competition as well. The Sooners cannot use the excuse that they didn’t have their starting Qb. Ou was outscored in the 2nd half 3-21!

1 Like

Ou was outscored 21-3 in the second half vs Tulane. No one is calling for Riley’s resignation.
The truth of OSU football is that when they do hire a successful coach, they use it as a launching pad to a bigger job: JimmyJohnson and Les Miles, who both went on to win National Titles elsewhere.

Riley has shown he can’t hold a lead of any size. Plus he has not yet won a game as an underdog.

Well what we do know is we have trouble on the offensive line and still go stagnant after the first 3 or 4 drives. You can turn on that game and take the year out and players names out and you couldn’t tell if it was 6, 7, or 8 years ago or last night. Offensive scheme sucks and gundy won’t change it till he leaves. This type of scheme makes for nailbiters and it doesn’t matter who we play it will be too close for comfort but gundy will keep pushing sunshine down your throat that it’s an exciting brand of football and everybody wants to watch it LOL. Delusional. Funny thing is he always says “well I need to go back and watch the film” he doesn’t need to watch the film it’s the same game we’ve seen for the last ten years!! Change your scheme. Starting to think he’s got dementia.

1 Like

Actually Riley is 3-3 as an underdog winning vs Ohio St -7 in 2017, Oklahoma St -2 in 2017 and Florida -6 in 2020 and losing 3 playoff games in 2017, 2018, 2019.

O Line has suffered ever since losing Wickline as the O Line coach.

1 Like

I guess I forgot about tosu game. At best the osu and Florida would be a push. Ou was ranked higher. So he has 1 win as his 2nd game coached but in the last 10 games he has lost 21 point leads in 4 games losing 2 of them.

What I found troubling was the lack of edge for Gundy. It’s gone. He no longer has an edge to his game. He’s content and it shows. And if he claims he called the pass play, he should take another pay cut. Amateur call at best. He chose the wrong time to prove they can run when they should pass, and then chose to pass when they should run.

The player that hit the QB late to extend the drive in which we lost our starting safety on the next play, REMAINED IN THE GAME after his egregious play. What happened to a guy eating some bench after they screw up?

Kasey Dunn, or Done? We wanted to keep him so badly and for what? The play calling I saw was atrocious. Terrible job of flow. Terrible job of trying to prove they can run. I saw one WR rush that went for 13 yards, never saw it again.

1 Like

The question is whether or not Dunn is really the one in charge of the offense. 2018, 2019, and 2020 we had a different OC each year and can we really see much of a difference between the play calling? I’m not so sure we can.

1 Like

The play calling issues for me were the lack of going to what was working. The inability to abandoned what they could not do.

They couldn’t run the ball but had success running with a WR and never call the play again? That to me is an inexperienced play caller sticking to a script instead of analyzing what is happening in real time and making adjustments.

1 Like

They are not pushes? Ou was the underdog in those games. Rankings have nothing to do with point spreads.
“In his last 10 games he has lost 21 points leads in 4 games and lost 2 of them.” That’s not accurate. Riley never lost the lead vs Tulane, but yes they did get within one score. Last year vs KSU, they lost a 21 point lead and lost. What are the other 2 games? Iowa St in 2019 was 17 games ago, and again OU never lost the lead although they did stop a 2 pt conversion to win the game.