10 Thoughts on Oklahoma State's 24-17 Guaranteed Rate Bowl Loss to Wisconsin

Possibly Navy this year.

Why are you here joy ? You lost a bet , you backed out on your word which is worth nothing

1 Like

I’ve made no bets here my good man. Don’t know what you’re referring to.

Yea sure joy , walks like a duck , looks like a duck sure it’s you. You chickenchited out on a bet

1 Like

I pretty sure there is no difference there lol.

NFL

@SA_POKE

You say a coach is “never” gonna answer that & therefore shouldn’t be asked.

Let me take you back in time to Dec of 2014. OU loses in humiliating fashion to Clemson 40-6 in a bowl game to finish 8-5. Barry Tramel & Bob Barry Jr both asked Bob Stoops similar questions to what Mike got last night. He was asked about replacing assts. About coaching changes. He was even asked about what was at that time a 4yr span without winning a Conf title & if he was still the right guy to be the HC @OU.

4:30 mark: @BerryTramel asks about changes.
5:00: @bbjsports asks about replacing assistant coaches.
10:17: @bbjsports asks about lack of titles since 2010
10:30: @bbjsports questions Bob’s status (!) as HC.

2014 Russell Athletic Bowl - Oklahoma Postgame Press Conference

Stole this from Carson Cunningham

Hard to imagine any change given that in March of this year, and before Gundy tanked what should have been a successful season, Weiberg got the Board to approve an increase in annual compensation of $1 million and an annual retention bonus of $1 million over each of the next five years. Seems Gundy got the message and realizes that, regardless of the lack of leadership and inability to create a winning culture as opposed to just winning games the team ought to win, OSU will continue to throw money at him and extend his contract. Does the Board really believe that without such an increase Gundy would go elsewhere or the program would suffer?

Unlike OU or UT, OSU does not need to advocate for coaching changes every time it experiences losses on the field. But why keep throwing good money at a coach that is not an effective leader on or off the field or that has lost the ability to create a “winning culture” and just be satisfied with a “winning record.” Weiberg went to OSU like most others I suspect that post on here, but he must have skipped some of the business classes. With all the changes that are unfortunately occurring, the Board needs to think about the consequences of their actions and the message they are sending. Like most other successful businesses, why not tie increases to performance rather than just throw money at someone that appears to have lost the ability to create a winning culture.

3 Likes

Very well written, thoughtful post.

I don’t think the raises/extensions are simply in fear of Gundy leaving. I think it’s more to show him some compensation for Mikes track record & loyalty. I think it’s also a good resume builder for OSU going fwd so they can say “look prospective coaches, we are willing and able to pay well”.

Google up the presser after OU lost to Clemson 40-6 in 2014. Similar circumstances but much tougher line of questioning. Only Stoops handled it like a professional

1 Like

You overestimate them. They would never admit they are wrong. Never. They are always right because they remember the olden days when OSU rarely won a game. So, they are perfectly content with 6-6 and a Charmin Toilet Paper Bowl.

1 Like

Ketchup must have attended (or failed to attend) the same business classes as Weiberg. Providing contractual guarantees and throwing money at a coach that consistently has underperformed when it matters so that prospective coaches might someday in the future will know OSU pays well … This kind of mentality is precisely what has gotten OSU into this position and allows Gundy to have a no give a @$# attitude and inability to create a winning culture.

I know folks will say you cannot compare OSU to Bama, but according to the internet - Alabama did not have any players opt out of its bowl game matchup with Kansas State, but 10 scholarship players did enter the portal after the regular season ended. Apparently, Bryce Young who is headed to the NFL likely as a top pick said, ““I love this program,” Young said. "I see how hard we work as a group, how much we pour into this and how much this means to us — how much it means to me. And it was easy.” It is all too apparent why OSU’s star players have not had this same attitude - Gundy.

Gundy’s inability to effectively coach and lead has only resulted in players having a no give a @$# attitude and lacking similar loyalty. Where was Sanders during the Bowl game given that he has not even found a team wanting to take him?

Gundy apparently previously expressed concerns that if too many good players opt out of bowl games, television partners could begin looking for other sports to show instead, costing schools money. Last year, Gundy allowed players who had previously declared their intention to transfer to play in the Fiesta Bowl.

Obviously, a coach has a responsibility to protect his players, but IMO Gundy is too much of a player/coach (never fully transitioning to being a Coach and trying to still act like a “player”) and fails to instill leadership qualities in current players. Gundy eventually admitted that he “probably” should have pulled Sanders in the blowout loss to KSU, which eventually led to Sanders missing a lot of key snaps. Rather than being a leader and an effective coach, Gundy apparently allowed Sanders to make the key decision and later said, “Could we have done that earlier? Sure. Should I have? Probably. Probably should have just said, ‘Hey, you’re not going out.’" Thereafter, Gundy suggested he often allows veterans to determine how long they remain in games during blow-out situations, and also he did not want to battle with Sanders over the decision. Really? How about, be a Man, and step up and also be a Coach and a Leader!

Sanders was given the gift of having another year to show how valuable he can be for the NFL draft. What he did with the gift is to say that staying at OSU is not a smart decision. It does not take much imagination to wonder why. Gundy apparently told the Tulsa World, "“I don’t get involved in those conversations. … What am I going to say? It’s their future; it’s their career. They’ll have a representative and they’ll have family members that will have thoughts on what they want to do. The head coach is really not a factor in that.” What an idiot and clearly indicative of no give a @$# attitude. Of course the head coach ought to be a factor, and the inability to coach and be a leader is clearly a factor.

Weiberg and The Board need to take charge and “cut out" access for Gundy and his inability to create a winning culture and the fans need to stop living in the past, making excuses or settling for just having a “winning record.”

1 Like

Lol saban and bama spent money to insure players so they would play. Bama dnt want to lose another game.

1 Like

Gundy should care as much, but with a guaranteed contract and idiots throwing money at him because it apparently looks good according to some, Gundy is content with just having a winning record and being bowl eligible.

2 Likes

Just like you are content?.
Writing the same thing daliy. Crying daliy about stuff you cant explain.

1 Like

Spoken like a true Paddle Person!

Lol your only made at the paddle people because they wouldnt come to your basement.

Picking on college kids who are enjoying the experience is about your speed

1 Like

That would require him to be intelligent enough to get accepted into the university.

1 Like

Coming from a kid that didnt have any qualities enough to get help paying for school. I know they saw you coming and hoping for the full 8 years like your kind of morons bring

1 Like

I was an out of state student moron.