10 Thoughts on Oklahoma State's 63-17 Victory against TCU

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/10-thoughts-on-oklahoma-states-63-17-victory-against-tcu/

10 takeaways from the blackout.

1 Like

Sanders is looking better. I been believing in him since he started playing. With the injuries, missed spring practices, and a shorted season last year I felt kinda bad for him with the negativity thrown at him. In my eyes he’s between a sophomore-junior year level. Hoping next season he can improve even more. Offensive line looks a little better.

2 Likes

Sanders has matured a ton.

Noticed illingworth didn’t play. Someone noted he’s probably transferring but I was thinking they wanted to preserve him just in case.

They are saving him he has 2 games left to get his redshirt. This what there doing.

2 Likes

Sills was out the whole game and Danny went out at half so yes the line looked good. With no sacks and 650 yards of offense

1 Like

Had no idea we had so many RBs on the roster. Jaden Nixon might just be the next man up after Warren is done this season. The other guys seems to look like LD Brown types out there. Nixon has some great moves and strong enough to shake off tacklers. They all were impressive running. Not good news going forward that 2 starters on O line banged up. We should be able to drop 50 on Texas Tech. Gunar will be allowed to throw a pass against Tech. Illingworth is not the guy to replace Sanders when he is done. It will be Gunar. Illingworth will remain a backup. There was no reason for Sanders to be running as much as he did in a blowout. Real injury risk.

I watched ESPN sc this morning and they didn’t even cover any highlights of the game or really no mention at all. Seems kind of like a snub for a top 10 team.

5 Likes

I don’t know what you have seen but Illingworth has a cannon for an arm. The kid can play.

5 Likes

When this offense gets going with what kind of defense we have, it can get scary for teams in this conference. Good job offense! Keep it rolling. Sterns is back also practicing! Man if only we could have a healthy Ford also😳. If this offense can score 30 everytime they go out we have a chance to beat anybody in the country except Georgia.

1 Like

What a perfect night. OU, Texas and Iowa St all lose and we win big. Probably means next week is going to be crazy. At Tech on senior night scares me a little. Also Gunner should not be last, Bullock has no business being out there. I wondered where Shane was. I thought that was the perfect time for him to get some decent reps in. Probably just didn’t want Tim Brando calling him, Englewood or Engleworth anymore.

1 Like

“TCU was 2-for-13 on third downs. In the past three weeks teams are 4-for-40 on third downs. That’s 10%. The Cowboys had 12 tackles for loss and seven sacks. OSU has 15 sacks in the past two games. Again, ridiculous.”

According to Loyd that’s a DC you allow to walk.

1 Like

Illingworth can throw a deep ball for sure but we seem to be in an era of the mobile QB because it creates coverage problems for defenses. Is Shane going to be transferring, is that why he was not in the game?
I had this scary thought about the playoff committee. With all of these upsets in the Big 12, are they now just going to say that this shows the Big 12 is really weak this season and thus the victories of OSU are now not that impressive? I can see that kind of thinking happening, especially if they don’t even watch our guys play.
As far as Sports Center not showing any Cowboy highlights, it probably was because the whole game was one big highlight so there were too many to choose from. This team is rolling with full steam ahead. Hard to believe that Rodriguez would not be an earlier round NFL pick. I guess because he is undersized for the NFL.

1 Like

He loves football!!! Something Gundy looks for!!!

Yes they will. They dam sure will try at least.

Shane is save games so he can still red shirt. He has played in 2, he has 2 left. Shane must be on board.
Sure Sanders could go down next week, but if not he can redshirt

Are you saying this because it looks like Gunnar has better mobility and speed to escape the pocket?

A really good win against TCU. We never beat TCU by that kind of margin so refreshing to see that result. The only caution to the wind is that we will not likely be able to run the ball as effectively against OU. That means that we have to be even more polished in the throwing game. Spencer has really matured for sure. I think he is the perfect QB for OSU right now… sufficiently mobile, can make a play on his own and can make great throws. He would have had a lot more completions if not for the holds and PIs ( that were not called by the refs by the way).

1 Like

I agree in part. I was actually favoring Illingworth > Sanders, but when he got time early this season, he was pretty inaccurate and inconsistent in mid-range throws. I was a bit disappointed after being so very optimistic that he could ‘Weeden’ for us, given the chance.

Illingworth has completed 40% of his last 75 passes.

I think Saturday was Sanders best game of his career all things considered. Not stat wise, but he made the correct decision on every single play. And he honestly threw the ball really well. Almost all of his incompletions were deep balls that were on the money, they just either were dropped or TCU broke it up / interfered with the WR. We don’t even need him to be Weeden or mason, he just needs to play as smart as he has played the past month or so and no one will be able to beat us in the B12. Still don’t think we’re a playoff-level team and saturday was sort of an anomaly offensively, but if it’s not and they somehow improved exponentially overnight and this is the offense we will see moving forward, they are absolutely a playoff team no question.

1 Like