2020 Final Commits and Comps/Projections

Wildcard. If there is a commit, future prospect, current or former player that you would like my evaluation added to tonight’s post comment and let me know.

Setting aside Tylan/Chuba/Spencer, which player on the team do you think projects to be THE best pro?

1 Like

Awesome. I’ll include that tonight! Keep them coming people!

Zach Middleton RB/WR/KR 5’9” 185 :star::star::star:

Middleton is another guy in the mold of Brennan Presley that can do it all. Pairing him with Brennan will at a minimum provide the ability to take advantage of opportunities in the return game. Zach (like a couple others on the list) was injured for his senior campaign, however he was active in the 7-7 camps during the summer. Coach Gundy was able to see him up close and personal since he played on the team quarterbacked by Gunnar Gundy. I believe there is a story about Gunnar coming home and telling his dad he needed to offer this kid on his 7-7 team because he (Zach) was going to be an NFL player someday. The silver lining to the injury was that the other programs in the B12 besides ISU overlooked Zach. In high school he played RB,DB,WR,KR, and I believe even lined up as a wildcat QB at times. This sounds really similar to a former OK Preps standout that had to walk on when he played college football. Zach is more quick than fast which is not a bad things for someone his size (4.68 forty). He and Brennan again are a combined reason why a RB wasn’t a “must have” in this class.

Comp- Wes Walker/Cameron Batson (TTU)

Monroe Mills OT 6’7” 291 :star::star::star:

Monroe is the other prospect I was alluding to that missed his SR due to injury. Obviously at his size in high school, even as a JR he dominated most defenders. He does move fairly well for his size, and has pretty good flexibility in his hips in the little film I saw. I think he will be similar to Bryce and Hunter who will need a redshirt year and possibly a second offseason to be actually ready to contribute. I do get weak thinking about those 2 paired with him, Eli, and Jelani in a jumbo formation. The smallest of those 5 being 6’5” 305 lbs… Hold me.

Comp- Zachary Crabtree

Nicolas Sessions DB 6’1” :star::star::star:

Nic was a somewhat under appreciated recruit IMO. He was committed to Utah State until late November. Nic is a very well put together looking young man already, but I have a feeling after a couple off seasons with Glass he’s going to look like a walking pillar of muscle. Nic is another DB who likes to hit. His coverage skills are above average, but he’s def got room to grow in that area. He uses strength and power to bully most WRs in high school. 4.6 forty.

Comp- Lindsey Pipkins (Ok St)

3 Likes

The first one that comes to mind is Trace. He is a flat out stud. The other one I think could be Jelani Woods. I think those two have the best chance to be NFL starters some day. Trace looked as good or better than Brailford did as a SR. I’m pretty sure he was taken in the 6th round. Thanks for the question!

2 Likes

These are so good. Hope everybody gets a chance to look at them.

7 Likes

I added “notable offers” to the first five. I will do the rest later. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

3 Likes

Very enjoyable to read. Thank you.

Thank you very much. Glad you enjoyed it. Feel free to give your take or shoot some questions out.

1 Like

Post em’

3 Likes

Don’t mind homer analysis at all.

1 Like

Ok. I will tonight.

1 Like

So here’s my re-ranking of our signed High school recruits.

Shane Illingworth- :star::star::star::star::star: If Christian Hackenberg and Max Browne were 5 stars, then this is wrong. Shane is much better than both.

Trent Pullen- :star::star::star::star: Had he signed with LSU, I guarantee he would have been bumped to a 4 star.

Korie Black- :star::star::star: This one seems right on to me. I could see him going either way. May actually be a little high on his 247 rating.

Matt Polk- :star::star::star::star: This kid should be rated higher. Plain and simple, with his size and body control he has a very high ceiling.

Eli Russ- :star::star::star:/:star:

Eli is a tough one. With his size and strength, oh yea he’s easily a 4 star. With his competition level and technique however he is a high 3 star. So I could be persuaded either way on this one.

Quinton Stewart- :star::star::star:

This kid is another one I could go either way with. Watching him, I would put him up against Boomer no problem. He’s that talented. Kansas competition however isn’t the best. Doesn’t change how good of hands he has and great and body control too.

Cade Bennett- :star::star::star:

Cade is a monster. No denying that. And he did dominate high ranked guys in camps. I would make him a very high 3 star and fringe 4.

Jordan Reagan- :star::star::star:

His ranking seems fair to me. I like what he brings to the table, but s if now he doesn’t jump off the screen.

Jeff Roberson- :star::star::star:

This one is fair. His comp (Hager) was around the same ranking. He is good at a lot of things, but isn’t dominant at anything to show he can be a high level at something. I think eventually he will, and I love what he brings but for now. It’s fair.

Brennan Presley- :star::star::star::star:

Ok, here we go. This kid is so dynamic, if not for his size and lack of recruiting Intrest he would easily be a 4 star. If Millie Cooper was a 4 star. Brennan is too.

Jabbar Muhammad- :star::star::star::star:

This guy dominated some of the best Wars Texas had to offer. His coverage skills are really advanced for someone his age. Has he not been committed to OSU for so long, probably gets rated a high 3 or low 4.

Cole Thompson- :star::star::star:

Cole is a solid player. Nothing super special about his game. Just a blue collar, come to work and do a job type player. I like him, but ratings won’t.

Mason Cobb- :star::star::star:/:star:

This kid does have some dominate traits. Unfortunately he a little short for a high ranking LB. Definitely deserves a look since he was the DPOY in his state.

Grant Mahon- :star::star::star:

This one is fair. With the Injury and lack of tape on him, you just have to look at his size and previous tape.

Rashod Owens- :star::star::star:

I think this is due to the fact he didn’t get to focus on WR. His athleticism however is very impressive. I would make him a high 3 star.

Zach Middleton- :star::star::star:

This one is similar to Mahon or Mills that will come in a second. Injury and lack of playing just one spot I think hindered his ranking. Good for us tho!

Monroe Mills- :star::star::star:

His size and past tape will get him a middle of the road rating. This one is kind of incomplete tho. Could end up being huge for OSU.

Nic Sessions- :star::star::star:

This one seems right. His athleticism and frame give him a leg up. His technique should improve tho. At worst he’s a career backup and special team guy.

@Dribble

7 Likes

Eli Russ was a 4 star (.94) at the time he committed but then steadily dropped until he finally landed as a 3 star (.87), any insight as to what happened during that time? The conspiracy guy inside my head says he committed so early to OSU that it impacted how they graded him and the attention given to him.

1 Like

He wasn’t big on the camp scene. It’s classic case of a guy not doing the “ranking camp circuit” and going to a non blue blood getting moved down. Look what they did for Josh Jacobs when he committed to Bama. I’m his talent didn’t change but they made him higher rated after the season just because he committed to Bama.

2 Likes

Also, a guy like Jabbar did do the camps and even got MVP honors at them, but because he was committed to OSU for so long it was ignored. I guarantee if he was committed to Texas he would have a higher ranking

2 Likes

Also. My comp for the Juco QB Bullock would be Daxx. He looks good in drills and off the bus, but he’s nothing more than a career backup at the P5 level.

I think your Illingworth stars will hold merit for sure. Will be interesting to look back on these in 3-4 years.

3 Likes

Juco/transfer rankings and evaluations

Ethan Bullock QB 6’4” 200lbs :star::star::star:

Bullock is what he is. A Juco QB that should be serviceable as a placeholder until Shane is ready to step in. I don’t see him as true competition for the QB1 job. He can hit an open receiver and can move in the pocket somewhat. He reminds of a former OSU QB that I played with in high school. Honestly if you put some of their highlights on the same film idk if you could tell who was who.

Comp: Daxx Garman (Arizona,OSU, Maryland)

Tyren Irby WDE 6’3” 235lbs :star::star::star:

Tyren is someone that I can see filling a rotation spot along the DLine. I thinks has the potential to move around in a Trace Ford type role. There’s also the possibility that they try to bulk him up to be more like Tyler Lacy. He does have a good first step and uses his hands well at the point of attack. Those are very good things to have in a pass rusher. He seems more comfortable standing up but it would be interesting to see him inside since he does seem to lack some of the power thats vital to play on the DLine inside at the P5 lvl.

Comp: Elijah Lee (KSU)

Lamont Bishop ILB 6’3” 225lbs :star::star::star:

In JUCO Lamont was usually the best player on film. He exploited some of the guys that were slower and weaker at that level. However the way played sideline to sideline and how fast he reacted and got to the ball carrier translate to any level. He’s is a very long, rangy defender. I love his instincts and the way he attacks the ball carrier with almost an anger. His pass coverage will have to improve as most Juco LBs do. Overall he appears to be a good late addition to the class. He’s the type of guy that Knowles seems to like which is why when looking for his comp one guy jumped off the screen.

Joe Giles-Harris (Duke)

Collin Clay WDE 6’4” 270lbs :star::star::star::star:

This is one I have been waiting on and put a lot of time into. Clay had a similar impact in his true freshman year at Arkansas that Antwine had Colorado. His best games were against teams like Bama, LSU, and Auburn. That’s a very good sign. The fact he had a similar impact as Antwine and he was doing it in the SEC speaks volumes. Collin has a very, very strong swim move and bull rush. On one play against LSU I believe he bull rushes a OLineman and basically pancakes a interior OLine from the defensive perspective. He is a “freak” in the weight room according to some guys that have worked out with him already. I can’t wait to see what Glass does with him. Antwine, Ford, and Clay is going to be a ridiculous threesome against opposing Olines. Early signs are that he will be eligible this season which bodes well for the Cowboys.

Comp- Jordan Willis (KSU)

11 Likes

Thanks. Would love to hear your thoughts on this next group.