2020 Football Season Poll

Want to hear what everyone thinks will happen with the CFB season.

• 12 games, starts in Sept.
  • 12 games, starts in Oct.
  • 9 games, starts in Oct.
  • 12 games, starts in Dec. or Jan.
  • 9 games, starts in Dec. or Jan.

0 voters

And what about the 2020 season?

2 Likes

Lockdown ends we’re just turning the calendar over early.

Haha, I got ahead of myself. Although it might end up being a 2020-21 season…

I do think it will be a shortened season, unfortunately.
But the real question I have, is will they allow fans at all? Or limited number and spaced out?

Yeah, I actually think based on recent language that there will be fans but spaced out. Who knows though. I’ve flip-flopped on this like 39 times in April alone.

Interesting. What do they cap capacity at? Who gets to go to the game? First X amount of fans get and the rest are not let in?

I know we still have to go through summer but this is intriguing to think about.

For example: Texas’ recently-released recommendations for churches – which is of interest to me because I help lead one – say that they can be at 25 percent capacity right now. Ignoring how much ambiguity there is in this, I think similar language could be adopted for sporting events. Maybe. Everything will look like a Kansas football game, but you could maybe get to 60 or 70 percent of expected revenue as an athletic dept.

I’ve already paid for my tickets. If they let fans in, I better be one of them.

2 Likes

Not trying to question you, just really don’t get that. If only 25% of the people go how will they still make over half of the revenue…?

1 Like

Oklahoma’s church reg is every other pew. Could possibly be a solution, although the geometry of spit flying further than just one row (because they go down in a stadium) might complicate that.

Donation price for tickets is going to be the max they think they can get away with.

Similar to @cometpoke I already paid for my tickets… does that mean they’ll say “ehh sorry we need more money or you can’t come”?

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing as @brent Potentially if they refund a pro-rated amount of your ticket cost for whatever games you are allotted to attend, but they keep all of your donation.

1 Like

I’m not sure how they’d resolve it, but that’s how you make up the money and account for people having to move seats.

tl;dr - Only ~ 12% of OSU’s AD revenue is directly tied to the stadium.

disclaimer math below is admittedly crude and does not account for how interconnected everything is; mainly using this as an excuse to procrastinate at work

Work Procrastination Math:
OSU’s 2019 AD Revenue - $95M
Football Ticket Sales - $10M
Stadium Sales (Programs, Concessions, etc) - $600k
75% cut in attendance - ~ $8M drop in revenue
$8M drop in revenue - 8% drop in total AD revenue.

Granted, this assumes donations stay the same. If donations are cut by the same amount, revenue drops by ~ $15M.

All in, conference distributions and media rights are what drives the departments revenue. Bowlsby said he isn’t worried about B12’s distributions in 2020, but could get painful in 2021 if something isn’t figured out. Plus, if football is played - everyone will be glued to their TV’s even moreso than usual, helping media rights.

Source - https://adminfinance.okstate.edu/site-files/documents/financial-statements/2019-osu-ncaa-19-aup.pdf

2 Likes

I love smart people. People like you are my favorite to hire. Makes me look great, and in reality I don’t know up from down

TV money is half the revenue. So TV money plus anything else would be over half the revenue.

2 Likes

I was thinking you meant solely ticket sales revenue. As in, CRANK THOSE PRICES BABY. lol

There’s some ambiguity there over non-program specific revenue. Licensing etc. But generally I would agree with all of this.

1 Like