2021 Football Season Thread

Not a big enough check. Not near big enough. But even a small amount would show that I’m willing to do more than simply pass my time on my days off just by rambling on here b#tching about Gundy. Cause I even burn myself out on it at times. Switching gears, I’d love to see the run game break wide open tomorrow. Thus getting Spencer rolling with the passing game. We need to see this offense click at least once before Big 12 play starts. I say the Pokes surprise us. The final is 38-24 Pokes over Boise State. I’m probably wrong just thought I’d inject some good vibes in here.

OSU was 12th for wins the 2010s. Our 2018 revenue was 36th and our program value was 30th. Clemson is the only one in our ballpark that had more wins.

They are so impressive and such an outlier. They were 2nd in wins, 27th in revenue and 26th in value.

1 Like

Peel

1 Like

I’d break it out maybe 2 or 3 times a season depending on the opponent or situation. Say we’re in Manhattan. Up a touchdown on Kansas State. Defense just got us the ball back. 2 minutes before half. On our own 35 or 40. Give it a shot on first down. If it goes to the house, we’re up two scores at half w/ great momentum. Not to mention, if it goes south we’re still in decent shape. Slight risk/huge reward.

Is there room in college football’s future for another Clemson to emerge? Is it possible for us to become that?

Went to the state fair last night, so I’m a little OD’d on them at the moment

5 Likes

Recent history… it’s only Clemson if you need a championship to be validated. But they already had a championship in the 80’s, so this isn’t their first rodeo. Oregon, of course, has risen from true mediocrity, but never reached the pinnacle (like us). Excluding non-P5 programs, several other programs are in a category similar to us… Wisconsin, Utah, Virginia Tech,…

In the 80’s, Florida State and Miami rose from nowhere. But that had a lot to do with integration in the 70’s.

They got a TON of private donations to help them get where they are today. Oklahoma State get nothing in donations that compares to that in the football side of things…

cc whoever saw Dunn last night, Cowboys are en route to Boise now

1 Like

Clemson is in the hottest recruiting territory for football. We are not, and that’s the biggest difference between us and them. Unless Oklahoma becomes a hot bet for football, national titles are a complete hopeless dream.

1 Like

whoever saw Dunn last night made a big deal of nothing.

4 Likes

Is Tre Sterling on the flight though?

19 Likes

100% that Clemson is in the middle of hottest recruiting territory. As for the rest - never lose hope (even if the statistics say otherwise).

I think we would need to beat some high level non conference opponents to truly jump up in the national discussion.

Our record over the past decade is good, but overall the Big 12 doesnt get a lot of clout outside of OU.

And if you look at the difference in recruiting between us and clemson, it isn’t close.

If anything, the reason the team has performed so mediocre this year is because we are seeing the results of those bad recruiting classes from 17-20 play out on the field.

Thanks for this! Didn’t realize Clemson was down so far in revenue. But you’re right, they are the only “non-blue blood” to do what they have been doing in a long, long, long time. They hit a gold mine by hiring the best DC and one of the best HCs in the country together.

And Oregon needed Nike to do so. Really tough to find outliers in CFB, there really hasn’t ever been any parity in this sport. It’s the few at the top, and everyone else. And the gap is about to get bigger.

1 Like

What’s really amazing about Auburn is that Alabama is relatively similar in size to Oklahoma. They have only 1 million more people, where as there are much, much bigger places.

You might say “old money” but there’s a also lot of oil in Oklahoma. And the levels of poverty in Alabama is shocking. So the wealth might match the populations.

I just know that Alabama is Auburn’s OU and I really have a hard time wrapping my brain around how much money both teams/universities in comparison to OSU.

Just random thoughts, but it’s kinda shocking to think about Auburns fan base/revenue compared to ours. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Blaine Green was in an IG pic the football team posted. Don’t know that he’d travel if he wasn’t suiting up.

10 Likes

Could be a good sign. Are they the football version of the Graham twins?

I think if we eventually get to the Big 10, I’d be less afraid of a coach leaving OSU because of success.

1 Like