2021 OSU……Success or Disappointment?

I’m an OU fan and am curious. Do you guys say this Cowboys season was a success? You played in your first Conf title game. Won Bedlam. Or was it a failure? All you had to do to get to the playoffs was beat a Baylor team led by their backup QB in a game where you were the favorite.

Major Success. No question.

7 Likes

Definitely exceed expectations.

5 Likes

Success of course.

3 Likes

This tells you a lot about OSU fans. 1 conference title in 17 years and most don’t think the next coach will be as successful. It took 5 years to even make it to the conference championship game yet most fans think they’ve got the 2nd best team in the conference. 1 conference title in 17 years, pathetic. Can anyone tell me how this program has moved forward in the last decade?

1 Like

It was an overall successful season (11 wins when Vegas had us at 7.5, Bedlam win, NY6 Bowl), that ended in disappointment (Doing the Poke Choke in the Big 12 championship considering all that was on the line).

Disappointed in not winning the conference championship game but I would say success
I hate losing as much as anyone, in fact I’m not a good loser but I don’t whine and cry like Jug when we lose. In fact he cry’s when we win. We have averaged 9 wins a season the last ten years

1 Like

Our Oline just got whipped and having a backup back hurt a lot. Warren would have billed his way into the end zone
You say we would have been in the playoffs if we had won. I don’t think so, if Georgia had won , maybe

1 Like

Success.
Weren’t expected to be in Championship.

Now go win the Bowl. BTHOoND

3 Likes

Failure. Anything less than a conference championship should be seen as such for this season.

Here’s why:

1. Spencer Sanders’ supposed development under Tim Rattay. This was Sanders 3rd year as the starter. We saw the same issues he had as a freshman/sophomore.
  2. Kasey Dunn was in his second season as OC. Should’ve been more aware of the direction of the offense and it’s capabilities.
  3. Knowles defense returned nearly every starter plus 2-deep. They were NAILS all season. They were the ONLY aspect of this team who played at a CFP level. The other two phases did not.
  4. The youngsters on the o-line who had been pressed into action last season should’ve been better throughout the season. The depth should’ve been there to withstand injuries.
  5. Rattler was a bust. OU had no RB depth. Caleb played like a true freshman at times. Defense was iffy at times. Therefore OU was NOT a threat. This doesn’t even take into account the fact that Lincoln probably had his eye on USC as soon as OU/Texas announced the move to the SEC. He’s lying if he says anything contrary to this.
  6. Texas…not enough space to write about. They were not a threat.
  7. Schedule was perfection. Toughest road game was at Iowa State.
  8. We had already beaten Baylor by 10 even w/ turnovers.
  9. Facing a Baylor backup QB which we had feasted on those this season. The guy torched us 1st half.
  10. It had been 10 years since we had won a conference crown. With the resources in place, that’s entirely too long to wait. This was our year. THIS team deserved better from the coaching staff w/ a championship and a CFP spot on the line.

As the season unfolded, it became apparent that Oklahoma State would have every opportunity to seize EVERY SINGLE GOAL.

If you answered success, you’re lying to make yourself feel better. “We wouldn’t have made the CFP anyway, even if we had won…cause of how the other games went.”….is a flat out lie. The 11am kick made it impossible for the committee to say that we didn’t have the correct, sufficient data points. We had a chance to kick the door down, and didn’t. The chance to make school history now gone. The committee would have had absolutely NO valid reason to keep us out. None.

Clearly, the wounds are still fresh. I’m angry. And very sad. First and foremost, for our team, secondly for the alumni, donors and fan base.

2 Likes

Bro. What did you predict at the start of the season? If you answer a conference championship you were either deluding yourself or lying. Compared to what we thought at the start of the year this was a wild success. Sure it had a disappointing ending, but if you told me we’d go 11-2 with a Bedlam win in August I’d be freaking estatic

5 Likes

I predicted we’d make Arlington before the season started if everything fell into place.

1 Like

Then hats off to you man, I thought we get 9 wins

2 Likes

Thanks, brother. Also, off-topic but I made the Dance Cam twice. Kinda proud. Haha!

3 Likes

Not sure we would’ve made the playoffs with a win.

2 Likes

Kudos to you for being willing to say that. OU went 10-2………& I said it’s a massive disappointment. No Clemson? Bama is down, regardless what they did Sat. This is as wide-open a playoff race as there has ever been. I fully expect to see a Georgia/Bama finale, but I will not be shocked in any way if either of them lose to Mich/Cincy.

I think both points of view denoted above are correct. We (OkState) did exceed expectations; most (including myself) had us positioned for third at the beginning of the season. Thus, getting to a New Year’s 6 Bowl is definitely deemed a blessing. But if an OkState fans say that the Big12 Conference game loss was NOT disappointing or even infuriating, they are in “denial”. Why? When you get to the Championship and don’t play to the level you are capable of – including a level that we had done in many previous games this year – it’s absolutely a disappointment. Plus, we don’t know for sure if we will have this championship defense and defensive coach next year; thus, it could be yet another once in a decade or less blown opportunity. This ain’t little league where everyone gets a Big12 conference championship participation trophy. Not getting the Big12 title [particularly due to 4 interceptions and failure to get half an offensive yard on 8 tries] bothers me much more than not getting to the CFP. OkState could fully control their Big12 championship plays and play calling but not the CFP committee would do. Summary: I believe it is both a success (New Year’s 6 Bowl) and a disappointment (should have had the Big12 title, and maybe a CFP appearance…we will never know).

3 Likes

I did not expect much after the first few games of the season. The offense looked absolutely incompetent just like it did again Saturday. However any season without a Big 12 title is a failure. That is/should be the goal every single year. They way we lost that championship game is absolutely down right infuriating. Half the team deserved to be there while the other half did not. The red zone offense has been a massive issue all year and not a ■■■■ thing has been done to fix it. Hell they’re better off taking a 15 yard penalty every time they get within 5 yards of the end zone. Say what you want about missing players being the reason we couldn’t punch it in 4 out of 5 times but this problem has been lingering all season and it reared it’s head again in the most important game of the year. The defense gave them a fighting chance and the incompetence to move the ball 1 yard multiple times blew it. Where is the misdirection? Why are Sanders legs not being used to punch it in? Running it into a brick wall hadn’t worked all game and yet it was still the go to play. I’m glad we got a NY6 bowl for the first time in years but the absolute failure on Saturday is going to sting for a long time.

Oh also why does this team not believe in a goddamn QB sneak???

2 Likes

Success no doubt

3 Likes

Most OU fans have your mindset. Most OSU fans do NOT have mine. This is a foundational reason for OU getting a 70 year jump on us in terms of building a program able to win championships. It comes down to expectation. OU has 7 recognized Natty’s. OSU has 0. 1945 does not count, regardless of what the banner on the east end zone says. This was our best opportunity to win our first, and we squandered it. It buuuuuurns.

2 Likes