2022 In State QB prospect

Ok first off if I am one of the usual suspects then I call dibs on being Keyser Söze…

Second I have never considered myself a great evaluator of QB talent, I spent my football time in the trenches and just made sure the QB got the ball (center).

However looking at the film there is definitely some talent there. The kid needs to work on his footwork but he has a good arm that is pretty accurate. Honestly he reminds me of Cornelius but with the chance to be better.

2 Likes

Yea. But a 6’5” 200 lbs 16 yr old is a good place to start. Haha.

4 Likes

30,000 foot view versus 1 foot.
Individual piece versus the whole

Cool, we’re in on a neat QB. Does nothing to change the fact we recruit in the 40s.

1 Like

I mean it does. It’s the difference is Spencer and Brown, Illingworth or Costello, Rudolph or Wudtee. It’s a HUGE difference.

4 Likes

Watched about 3/4th of the tape this morning

Great that he’s already 6’5 and 200. He should be able to put on another 20 lbs pretty easily.

-looks like he has a good internal clock, knows when to tuck it and run.

-his side-to-side throws are accurate, and the ball gets there quickly (probably the most impressive part of the film?)

-throws well across the middle

• seems very comfortable in the pocket (but not much pressure on tape)

-like that he’s a basketball player (any idea if he will keep playing or move to just focus on ftball?)

-could see him turning into a 4star guy, especially if he’s 6’6, 225 by his senior year.

• tape doesn’t look like someone who hasn’t started a lot of varsity games.

-If hes motivates to be a college ball player, I say we go after him now

I wish their offense had more vertical throws so we could see how accurate he is on the long ball. Their offense seems to rely a lot of swings, screens and curls.

4 Likes

Didn’t mean for the post to be in that format but :man_shrugging:

1 Like

But it does? You don’t go from the 40s to the 20s without reeling in individual studs

1 Like

He asked about one specific recruit.

Get 8 of these and that’s a different conversation.

Yeeeaaahhhhh, I don’t think my opinion will be a feel-good one…

I watched about 10 min and made some notes. Do you have some type of connection with him? (family, friend etc)

-Really short throwing motion, generally this impacts overall velocity (see Jake Fromm), but great for quick game.
-Arm strength is adequate, but probably average and out of balance with size. This might prohibit him from being a top end prospect, however since he is only Soph this could improve dramatically.
-If he is committed to throwing motion, I would recommend working on lower half heavily last 2 years, using hips to drive throws.
-HUDL is highlight tape, so can’t make evaluation on accuracy, ball placement is ok.
-Footwork and lower body need some work, should come with more experience. See comment above in regards to lower half.
-Good rhythm on quick throws, can grab ball and snap into right throwing base, delivery ball quickly. Can see he is more comfortable on timing throws, generally to the outside. Shows much better rhythm, technique and footwork on quick timing plays vs. traditional drop back. Probably his best trait.
-Elite size, already looks the part as a Soph. Physically farther along than many. Should continue to develop physically, has potential to be Ryan Mallet like frame.
-Moderate mobility, they ran QB power regularly. Patient runner, sets up blocks well and has good vision. Has familiarity with a lot of the run concepts OSU runs.
-Competition looks to be pretty weak. Heavy screen/short passing offense with run game. Hard to get gauge on his ability.

Summary: looks like a pretty good prospect, certainly has areas where he needs to improve. At this point I would think OSU has better options, but a lot can change in 2 years. Given his frame, he has a higher ceiling than some and can make up ground.

10 Likes

I do have a loose connection to him. Not anything of significance. It’s more so just seeing an in state program that several former college QBs played in. He has the size. He hasn’t played QB at the varsity level much. I’d expect some serious improvement the next 2 years. Just like to see what people think of in state kids.

1 Like

I’m not familiar with Jones, but wondered if he would move into a 5a/6a school?

1 Like

I doubt he moves. They have too much of a track record producing QBs regardless of class.

There is a Baylor connection there that I’m curious about. Depending on who their next HC is.

1 Like

Since you have a connection and if the rest of his tape is similar to this, then he’s got a huge tell.
When he’s going to run he squares up his feet to take the snap so naturally his shoulders square as well.
Small sample size and it might be this isn’t a regular occurrence but on this tape it is.

1 Like

That’s a good thing to point out. I think it’s probably from inexperienced and trying to give himself as much comfort in whatever he’s running.

1 Like

I think a lot of people would be surprised where most kids who are 16 are that haven’t played QB very long. I’ve seen guys that end up really heavily recruited that were not near far along as he is at this stage. The opposite is true as well tho. So, I think it will just depend on his work these next 2 years.

That’s what I wanted to say…

All the time, we see these “project quarterbacks” who play for “small” colleges, but get drafted high based on potential, or “prototypical build” (Daniel Jones or Josh Allen, for instance).

However, from high school to college, I’m not so sure if that translates well. He needs to play “bigger” competition before he can be considered big time. His build is insane for being a sophomore. All of the abilities will come with time. But the hunger? The will to win and beat the “big dogs”, so to speak? Who knows…

Oklahoma isn’t a major player in football recruiting as is. Some guys do pan out, though.

puts hot sauce used to flavor this take away

I mean. The QB before him was a guy named J.D Head. He’s a QB commit at La Tech for this class. He moved to play his last 2 years at Pearland HS in Texas. It didn’t get him any more interest than he was getting up here. So I mean. :man_shrugging:t2:

On May 11, 1987, a great American philosopher made a grand speech about the cream always rising to the top and that the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world would inevitably be the cream of the crop.

I believe that to be true of talented football players as well. Doesn’t matter if they play 6A ball in Texas or 2A ball in Idaho… If they’re talented, they’ll be found.

8 Likes