A History of OSU’s Ranking in the Preseason AP Top 25 Poll and What It Suggests of 2022

Does Duke have better athletes and a better coaching staff overall than at OSU? Does Duke have one of the best strength and conditioning coaches in the country? Not only would Knowles be paid more at OSU, but he knew he would have the two things I mentioned above.

Do you ever get tired of providing examples to me on your lack of knowledge about football, and how all the pieces come together? Stop trying to throw chit against the wall and hope it sticks.

So your say gundy has a great collection of coaches

@ar1 he didnt win a natty at msu that has natty. You proved the point gundy gets better players then duke.

You guys think knowles did all this on his own. He has a great scheme. But him getting the players was others coaches. And the covid year made a big differenceits funny when knowles was at duke he was hired by their best coach. Its funny you guys think knowles did it all alone. Jug did you shovel those stalls out yourself, no you had a shovel

1 Like

Would Saban win national championships if he was hc at Duke?

@robert28 Duke is just barely better than Kansas so you are putting Gundy in a really good crowd but that’s probably where he belongs.

If you’re going to claim to be the second best team in the Big 12 I would hope you get better players than Duke. It’s not like they are winning ACC titles left and right. I can admit Gundy does get some decent coaches every once in awhile. I don’t mind Gundy for getting good coaches, but I’m not going to act like he’s the one coaching them.

When the HC publicly tells you he doesn’t know what Knowles does behind closed doors that pretty much tells me he does a lot of it on his own.

Lol you have never given gundy credit. I answered this in the other post.

1 Like

Gave him credit for finding some good assistants. Looks like you were wrong again.

So you don’t believe in coach speak yet you believe Gundy said that thinking he didn’t know what was going on …. You moron, Gundy told Knowles to change up his scheme and what he wanted. You are just to stupid to admit it

1 Like

I have no doubt he told Knowles that, but I highly doubt Gundy was the one sitting in Knowles office helping him create a better scheme. I know you like to think he does, but Gundy doesn’t spend a lot of time in the film room with his assistants. They meet with Gundy to discuss their strategy and preparation for upcoming games.

Why cant you give gundy any credit. I dnt care what he says. Guys who run offense for years know all about defenses. We will be fine with out Knowles. Gundy has finally got a group of guys who want to stay. That is what is helping us. Yes mason may leave in 2 years but at least we are ready. I think bob will take over then.

Just like on how good is dunn. You talk about dana and todd. Neither had the issues dunn has had to face and he had less talent. We still dnt have the talent but if the injuries stay minor you will see a different offense.

I know i of yhis is out of your mental capacity

1 Like

Dude I don’t know how many times I gotta say this. I do give Gundy credit in some things, but I don’t give credit to people who haven’t done the majority of the work. If I did that you might as well call me Donald Trump.

Here’s an overall view of mine that’s positive about Gundy:

1. He’s done a good job with stability of winning seasons. Given OSU’s history he’s slowly erasing how bad OSU football was in the past.

2. He does a pretty good job of getting the right assistants for the most part. Although I do question some of his current ones.

3. He fired Young and Spencer which was needed after watching teams get massive chunks of yards. Brought in Knowles and his good schemes.

4. He’s right about the strength and conditioning coach being a crucial part of OSU’s success. I also commend him for holding onto Rob Glass. Without him we wouldn’t be able to run and gun when needed.

5. I do like the fact that he runs a clean program and most of the time gets the most potential he can out of unknown recruits (in other words, he’s able to find hidden gems).

Here’s an overall view of mine that’s negative about Gundy:

1. Most of the time he plays scared rather than with confidence against better teams or of equal talent.

2. As I mentioned on #1 that causes him to overthink himself to the point of where we either play down to the level of competition, make more mistakes, or run a very simple offense that a 5th grade linebacker could figure out. The only games where Gundy surprised me with some of his play calling last year were OU and the second half of the ND game.

3. We don’t play the way we’re capable of playing on offense until we decide to fall behind by 20 points. He creates it to the point where it becomes more of a cat and mouse game instead of cutting the head off the snake from the get go. He’s afraid of player’s making mistakes, but sometimes you just have to let them go and play. He says it all the time but rarely does it.

4. His recruiting overall sucks for what’s suppose to be a top 25 program. Despite the geographical location of Stillwater, OK there is absolutely no reason for him to not have a top 25 recruiting class over the last decade. Most games are won in the trenches. We need to at least recruit better lineman. Not every four or five star recruit out there is a piece of chit with no work ethic. If that were true none of them would be rated that high.

5. His championship and rivalry records. The last ten years has been a golden opportunity for him to take advantage of that. Here are a few factors:

• Texas has sucked since 2010 ( non-factor except for recruiting)

• OU didn’t win an outright conference title from 2011-2014

• He has a losing record as a favorite in Bedlam

• He’s had three great additional opportunities to win another conference title and has implemented a “play not to lose” strategy in every one of them.

• He has a 4-7 record against Baylor since he had won the conference. Two of those being when Baylor was terrible. Baylor isn’t even a BB. (This goes back to where I said he gets scared when coaching against equal to better talent).

Overall he just doesn’t have a championship coach mindset or mentality. I think he’s a nice coach and will win you a lot of games, but it’s past time for him to make that next step, and I don’t know if he ever will. We shouldn’t be getting excited about just making any regular bowl game with a coach that’s been around nearly two decades now. We should expect more now and hold whoever is in charge accountable for getting to that next step.

I have always liked it when he coaches scared.

That works both ways. Ive seen briles come in and turn down fg because he is scared of Gundy’s offense. You may like that. But. Not scoring leads to a lose.

When you go down 21 to 0 in a stretch instead of 21 to 9. Which is better. 1 td a 2 pt and a fg or 3 tds.

Look at ole miss going a ton of times on 4th. Yes guy got big round ones. But, really didnt pan out.

I know you think we should never even have a punter.

Again on play calling i can and have pointed to bad calls by other coaches. I have yet meet a coach that every fan loved evrry play called. That includes me with gundy. Im just realistic about it.

1 Like

Apparently he wasn’t very scared of Gundy’s offense in 2012, 2014, and 2015.

Trust me I know. Our only two losses last season were because the offense couldn’t score.

How about when you get inside the 5 yard line multiple times and can’t get a touchdown? I know we were down Warren and an offensive lineman, but even you have to admit that’s a little ridiculous.

I never said anything about him going for it on 4th down. All I’m saying is to be more consistent. If your offense is adequate they should be able to score a touchdown when given four chances from the three yard line.

At some point in time as a coach you would think that eventually your defense will have a couple of games throughout the year where they aren’t going to be stellar. Even in the games they struggled they put the offense in a position to win the game every single time last year.

Just blah blah blah.

Im here to show you youiss givings. Big 6 wins lets look at that. Youve ben big on that lately.

Here are 4 coaches that you swear are better then gundy. With 75 years of coaching. Riley, leach, snyder and briles. The have the same amount of big 6 wins as gundy. Not each combined.

I know you will deflect onto titles. Dnt you see that other coach do worse then gundy.

1 Like

Don’t you see that conference titles actually help your logo as well? Nobody’s going to give a dam that we can get to the Alamo bowl every season.

I was 100% rite on your deflection. Those guys went 9 big 6 bowls in 75 years thats over 8 years for 1. Then they lose them. Gundy is under 6 years and at 66%. But unlike these cats gundy wins chit bowls as well as big 6

Stop deflection

1 Like