A Lesson To Learn From the Goons: Why Turning to Caleb Williams doesn't make sense

“Optics matter in everything and recruiting is no different. The fans of the Oklahoma Sooners were booing their team’s starting quarterback on national television of a primetime night game because of the collective struggles of the offense(coaches included.) The Sooners had many recruits in attendance that heard what went down. You could not pick an easier way for teams to recruit against yours than to have the starting quarterback of a (still) undefeated booed as the entire country watches.”

Great point. Watch it on trashing your own team… especially on television.

6 Likes

That goes for on this site. Recruits can read.

3 Likes

The ones at OU can’t.

8 Likes

Yes, it was a bad look for a prospective recruit. Do I think the booing or “we want Caleb” will be the difference in a particular recruits decision? No I don’t. I think prospective recruits will weigh playing time, ability to get them to the NFL, proximity to home, Conf, facilities, relationships developed…….well before what they heard from the students on a few occasions during a game.

As for the “OU players can’t read”…….you may wanna do a little research on Dexter Manley.

This isn’t the 1980’s of course ou players can read. But ou fans obviously can’t understand what they read. I know ur not smart enough to understand sarcasm, now it seems u can’t understand straight out jokes.

1 Like

I am sure there are barely literate athletes at every school. It wasn’t an indication of a real disparity, just an indication that I hate them.

1 Like

typical sooners. not really surprised by this at all, it’s what i’ve grown to expect from their spoiled fan base

i wish they would have lost

1 Like

Honestly, they could easily be 1-3 right now. But so could we. Yikes!!

1 Like

Difference is u guys thought we would be.
Ou thought they would be atleast 2nd in the polls with the heisman :trophy:

1 Like

After Missouri State, a lot of people thought so. I would like to give credit to the Pokes for finding a way so far. Getting healthy is making a real difference. Yes, I already know I’m Captain Obvious on that one.

1 Like

I’m glad I’m teaching u to respond for me.:innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Anticipating your response based on past history isn’t equal to you teaching me.

You know what? I thought about this and I mostly agree, but I think it could change someone’s decision. Maybe not often, but maybe 5% of the time. Recruits are high school athletes. Who makes emotional decisions more than high schoolers and athletes (ok, women amirite)? That’s why they take recruits to games, right? To get them on that GameDay emotional high. If it’s an isolated incident, it’s probably not likely to change anyone’s mind, but if they do that all season, I bet they’d lose someone.

2 Likes

But seriously coming in there were professional that dint think osu would 4 and 0. That is with a full squad.
But no one thought ou would be where they are at.

This is truer then u think. Very lil separates recruits top 4 picks. Is not good. Do I think any of them would jump to osu, no.

Especially if it’s your first or last impression. It’s going to subconsciously taint how you view everything else.

1 Like

If Rattler continues to struggle, or the o-line causes him to struggle, particularly at home, the booing will continue. Fans will continue to call for the backup until one of 3 things happen:

1. Fans realize Riley refuses to make a change.

2. Rattler and the o-line get their chit together. (Please dear God NOOOO!!!)

3. Caleb comes in and is worse than Rattler.

1 Like

I think part of our OU problem is that we play them late, usually last. When OU stumbles, it’s usually early. I don’t know the %, but I bet most of their losses in the Stoops/Riley Era are in the first half of the season… Houston, Ohio State, Texas on several occasions. I don’t know that the O-line and Rattler will get to elite level, but they will be improved before we play them. Blue chip teams are also deeper and weather injury better.

1 Like

The deeper then hurts us the most. But with all the guys out now maybe they will be rested.:scream::scream::scream::scream::scream::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face:

Well yeah of course if it’s an every game thing it undoubtedly will cause them to lose a guy or guys. I’m not talking big here or acting like my son was a bigtime, surefire stud like OU is getting now. But he went thru the process so I got to see first hand how it goes. OU was not one of his offers, but OSU was. We’re also talking baseball, but you still go through that process with football recruits on home games. I’m just saying that the game itself is really just a bonus. There are a bunch of other factors that are more important than what the crowd may chant. I agree it’s a terrible look and certainly doesn’t help. But I don’t see that isolated thing being a factor at all to a recruit