Alliance Between Big Ten, Pac-12, ACC Will Reportedly be Announced Soon

Luke Fickell, PJ Fleck, Eric Bienemy? No. You could possibly get the others, but you aren’t getting those 3 at all. Fickell isn’t jumping ship from a G of 5 that’s preseason top 10 to go to a school that as of right now has no idea what Conf they’ll even be in. Cincinnati is paying Fickell over 3mil, so he’s doing pretty well there. Him leaving Cincinnati is arguably a lateral move at this point. 5% chance you’d get him

Fleck. He’s not leaving a Power 5, in arguably the most stable Conf out there, getting paid nearly as much as Gundy. Again, OSU is in such limbo as their future is concerned, it’s not an appealing job. Fleck was the Big 10 Coach of the year in 19. Hes going to parlay Minn success into a much bigger job than OSU. I just don’t know what you think makes OSU a better job than what he’s currently got? 10% chance you could get him

Bienemy. That dude has interviewed for multiple head NFL jobs. He was offered the HC position at his alma mater just last year and didn’t want it. You think he’d leave the NFL for a job at OSU? As I mentioned above, what does OSU have to offer that’s better than his current situation? 10% chance

Why would we join the AAC instead of rebuild the big 12? Two words. Exit fees.

If the big 12 dissolves, the irate 8 will not have to pay any exit fees. For schools to leave the AAC, each school must pay about $20-$24 million. So, if we want to poach four AAC schools, it will cost about $80-96M. Considering that their current TV revenue is about 8 million per year, per school, who’s going to pay this?

This, my friends, is why we may be joining the AAC.

If 4 schools choose to leave the AAC, that league also dissolves. Therefore the exit fees will be minimal, if any. People pay waaaay too much attention to the exit fee junk. Go look at how much the exit fees were rumored to be for any exiting school, in any Conf, over the years. Then look at how much they actually paid once they left.

It all depends on how many big12 teams are left. More then like it will be a merger us the big12 name.

That is not my understanding. Do you have a copy of the aac bylaws?

The AAC has strength in numbers over the big 12. Also, the Big 12 tv contract expires in 2025, opening the door for members to leave at that time. The AAC contract was signed not too long ago, and members are tied to one another until 2032.

Even if four teams left, the AAC would still have 7 members. Unless specified in the bylaws, I assume those seven remaining members would hold each of those four departing members’ feet to the fire, and the conference would continue to exist.

Also, if the conference did cease to exist, then the big 12 may be liable for tortious interference of the AAC business.

This is also why OU and UT will be in the Big 12 until 2025, unless they are willing to pay big, big bucks.

U still hang on to the past. When the other teams left the big 12 we still had to flag ships.
With also the run for money both any conference will hold to exit fees.

Since the last round of alignment, the new conference contracts include iron-clad liquidated damages provisions for a party’s early termination. In light of what happened in 2011, it would be legal malpractice for a lawyer to prepare an agreement that wasn’t fully enforceable on this point. Lots of lawyers looked at this.

Today, I fully expect every school that breaks a contract to pay every penny it agreed to pay. OU and UT are kidding themselves if they think they can get out of honoring it’s big 12 agreement.

1 Like

Ok…….I’ve had some time spent in the contract business & legalese that comes with it. As I’m guessing you have to an extent as well. NO COTRACTS ARE IRON CLAD. NONE OF THEM. If so, there would not even be an option for a buyout. Listen to what I’m saying here, I COMPLETELY AGREE THAT IF OU/TX LEAVE BEFORE 25 THEY WILL HAVE TO PAY A BUYOUT. But, there is zero chance that it will be what the supposed $$ amount that’s in the contract. There is zero chance of that. Also, the highest dollar amount for an exit fee will be if the rest of the schools in the Conf stay put. That’s not happening either. There are moves being made as we speak for other schools to find themselves a life raft. One or more programs will announce their exits within the next 12 months. Then the negotiations will start and the buyouts will be drastically whittled down. Contracts were re-written after Colorado & Nebraska left…….& it didn’t stop A&M & Mizzou. Nor did it result in those two schools having to pay what was written in the contract.

A&M, Mizzou, Nebraska & Colorado didn’t pay nearly what the full extent should’ve been . Neither will OU & Texas. Agree to disagree.

1 Like

Since you “spent time in the contract business,” I’ll defer to your legal expertise.

1 Like