AMA Thursday with Boone

We used to do a “Boone Bag” each week where I’d take questions about recruiting or football or hoops or whatever, then answer them in a mailbag on the site. But now that we have PFB+, I’m moving that over here. May even make this a weekly deal if you guys like it.

So with that, leave me some questions and I’ll do my best to answer. I’ll let a few trickle in over the next hour and then shoot for a live AMA around 1. Do your worst!

1 Like

I’ll drop two questions.

First, with basketball recruiting: What do you think is the ceiling for this class in terms of who we get and what is the floor?

Second, for football: We usually have one or two players go ham against FCS teams. Aside from the expected SS/Chuba/Tylan group, which player do you think has the best chance to kickstart a Big Gamer season?

1 Like

I thought our new punter was supposed to be something special, but his kicking motion looked awkward and kicks were short. First game jitters or is he not as good as advertised?

1 Like

BB Recruiting: Who are our under the radar backup options? Past - Cade, Bryce, Jaylin Williams, JT Thor, Rondel Walker

1 Like

Which top Big 12 team could Oklahoma State football upset?

What is realistic expectations for the basketball team this year?

1 Like

What 2020 FB recruits are you most excited about?

1 Like

Two football questions:

1. Heard Robert Allen earlier today say that Bundage may not play all year long. Have you heard anything along those lines?
  2. What safeties on our roster can replace Bernard? He seems to be lost at times and continually gets beat in coverage
3 Likes
  1. Refresh my memory …how many BB scholl’s available for 2020 class?
  2. Do you think Bryce & Cade are an unspoken package deal?
1 Like

Who are the remaining football targets out there for this class? It seems like the football recruiting front has been dead silent for a while.

2 Likes

Screw it, let’s get going.

No. 1: The ceiling for this class is Cade + Bryce and Jaylin + Thor. Top-3 national class. The floor is Davonte Davis, a couple of sub-50 recruits and maybe a top-20 or so national class. I think Boynton has this class trending in a good direction regardless of what happens with Bryce and Cade.

No. 2 (love this question): I’m going to go with Pat McKaufman. He’s not a starter, but he’s got starting level talent. With his 6-foot-6 frame, there’s a chance he runs into a solid mismatch and just MOSSES some poor defender for like 200 yards and three scores or something crazy.

2 Likes

First of all, @steve1, thanks for subscribing. I see it’s your first time posting – welcome!

Second, I’m glad you asked this because I was thinking about this the other day. I tend to think it’s more first game jitters than anything. Remember: while he is 29 years old, he’s still a freshman – and a relatively new punter still feeling the game. In the spring he punted it for around 60 yards in practice (see vid below), I think he probably winds up punting on average closer to 45 yards per boot as opposed to his 37.5 yard average in Game 1.

Do you support leaving bags of dog poop on your OU fan neighbors porches?

Follow up… are you a bad OSU fan if you don’t do this?

4 Likes

Besides the obvious top flight players, I think these names are ones worthy of consideration as backup plans.

• 6-2 SG Rondel Walker (if OSU misses on Cade + Bryce)
  • 6-9 PF Montreal Pena or 6-8 PF Cameron Stitt (if Thor falls through)
  • 6-7 SF Ronnie DeGray (late riser who reclassified from 2019 to 2020; OSU offered earlier this year)

I’m not trying to feed everyone Kool-Aid but … every single one of them?

The team I saw beat Oregon State has the skill talent to beat OU and Texas. There remains questions, but I think this team could be a darkhorse conference contender. I really believe that.

As for OSU hoops … I think temper expectations. People at OSU are optimistic that this team could be a tournament team, but they are still pretty young overall and will be relying upon a lot of underclassmen. If they get to the NCAA Tournament I’d consider it a successful year.

1 Like

Brennan Presley, the Bixby receiver. He’s only 5-8, but he’s got mechanics to be an elite slot receiver and the speed to boot. If he earns a spot on the return team I think he could be a difference-maker.

2 Likes
  1. What more overrated In-N-Out or CFA?

2. When is OSU going to land another 2020 football recruit? It’s been seven years.

2 Likes

What Big 12 schools are really punching above their weight in recruiting? For example (whether we get him or not) a Kentucky fan may see we are a finalist for Cade Cunningham and say “really, OSU is in the mix?”

Over the years, what schools do you see in a final 5, or 3, and say “Wow, they are in the mix?”

1 Like
  1. Have not heard anything on Bundage. But that sounds … concerning. Depth at LB is already a major question mark.

2. Don’t hate on my dawg Bernard. (Kidding). But I still like him. He had a strong freshman season and is still settling in at his role. And unfortunately, we may just have to ride him through the ups and downs. His No. 2, Jason Taylor II, isn’t a considerable talent upgrade IMO.

it’s looking like Bryce and Ford are going to be playing all year. Any other freshmen not using a redshirt this year?

1 Like